Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex vs Kent - 11am, County Ground, Hove

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
sussex-378.gif

YEEEEEAAAAAH.

Today is the day. None of this England malarky. None of the turd that the Albion have served up. Today, the TITLE defence begins!

Todays Argus - Cricket supplement!

News:

Adams making of making strong defence
By Bruce Talbot

Skipper Chris Adams is confident Sussex can make a competitive' Championship defence, starting against Kent at Hove today (11am).

Their pre-season preparations have not been ideal because of injury and illness, notably the broken finger sustained by Mike Yardy which will keep him out for the next month.

But Adams believes Sussex can again challenge for honours and he will urge his side to make a positive start.

He said: "My last message to the boys before we start today is to go for it, play positive cricket and not leave anything behind.

"I'm confident we have everything in our side to be competitive this year but at the moment I'm not looking further forward than the next 12 sessions against Kent and playing good Championship cricket in the first game."

Yardy's absence means Chris Nash will bat at three and Adams recognises it will benefit the whole side if the top order can compensate for the absence of his vice-captain.

Adams said: "It solved what would have been a difficult selection issue for us.

"We need guys who are innings-builders in a similar way to Yards at the top of the order and I think we have that now."

Sussex have named a squad of 13 including Jason Lewry, even though he has yet to play any cricket this season after suffering from a virus.

Kent will give a debut to Yasir Arafat, who took 41 Championship wickets for Sussex as an overseas player last year.

Sussex (from): Montgomerie, Hopkinson, Nash, Goodwin, Adams, Prior, Martin-Jenkins, Wright, Rana Naved, Mushtaq Ahmed, Kirtley, Lewry, Hodd.

Kent (from): Key (capt), Denly, van Jaarsveld, Walker, Stevens, Jones (wk), Arafat, McLaren, Joseph, Cook, Saggers, Patel.

66429.jpg

_42118732_adams300.jpg

robinsoncrop-10700.jpg

hovecrop-5112.jpg

I will be at the county ground today. So will they. Will you?

Todays weather:

se_summary_07041812.jpg

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :drink: :drink::mushy: :mushy: :mushy: :mushy: :mushy:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Hoping to be there at tea

nice

really f***ing nice

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'll be in Dorset by then. :(

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have too much to do today. I might pop in for a few overs this evening before I have to go to bloody Chichester.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I may make a few overs at the end tomorrow but cant promise ANYTHING!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Cannot make tomorrow sadly, today afternoon yes, Friday late afternoon yes, Saturday all day if needed yes.

:)

REAL CRICKET.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Whilst I share everybody's excitement, at teh dawn of a new season, let us not pretend that it will bring anything but heartache for the followers of Sussex.

The mighty Lancs are a CERTAINTY for this years title, vanquishing all their foes, and overcoming the hugely unfair regional climate discrepancies and international call-ups without batting an eyelid.

This INEVITABLE march to glorious triumph commences today, when they will steamroll their way to victory, despite being hampered by the loss of Murali and Flintoff to World Cup duty. By some way of compensation, their chances have been boosted by the loss of Mahmood to World Cup duty.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Quite right, Hans. A clearout was needed over the Winter and we have not seen any wholesale changes. We have thrown away our title challenge before the first ball has been bowled. AND who the hell gave Mushy such a long contract! :angry:

larus

At least it's only 30 minutes now until the start of the annual cricket humiliation.

The sooner it starts, the sooner it's over and we can then lick our wounds during those dark tormented winter days. At least we'll be comforted knowing that those sunny, gracious Lancastrians will be able to enjoy their rightful clean-sweep of the domestic cricket scene that they own.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Wise words indeed Larus... still I guess I will tune in occasionally, just to see how our plucky lads are getting on.

There is something very admirable and quaintly English (well... southern English.... actually... something peculiarly of Sussex) about seeing a side struggle against all the odds, but gain much satisfaction and no little enjoyment out of the taking part.

Come on Sussex :clap:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Oh it's all gone quiet over there...

sorry, wait a minute...

I think that's a minutes silence in memory of Bob Woolmer. :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here