Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Theological matters

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What do people think of sports stars who endlessly thank God for their victory?

At one point I actually thought the very blessed Zach Johnson said 'I am the resurrection' after his Easter Sunday Masters golf win - although regrettably that wasn't the case.

I just find it slightly creepy when people say Jesus was guiding their three-wood into the centre of the fairway.

What say you all...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Tooting Gull said:
What do people think of sports stars who endlessly thank God for their victory?

I just find it slightly creepy when people say Jesus was guiding their three-wood into the centre of the fairway

If that is the case then he should be disqualified for recieving outside assistance :angry:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Theological matters

Bry Nylon said:
If that is the case then he should be disqualified for receiving outside assistance :angry:

What...sort of like a drugs cheat?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Billy the Fish said:
Americans always thank god when they win anything, it pisses me right off
No, its Gawwwwwwwwdddddddddd.............
god.jpg

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The US of A has a fairly high proportion of biblebashers of sundry types,so thanking God and His Boy is rather more common than in the sensibly less godly UK(Faithless and ungodly UK?)

Those of non Christian faiths pretty much excepted,by Jove.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is puzzling. YOu see these Sportsmen run on and thank G-d for giving them the chance/helping them perform etc. But what if a highly religious striker prays for a hatrick. What if that game coincides with a goalkeeper praying for a cleansheet!? Does G_d then have to decide which team he prefers? Rubbish! It all boils down to G_d being a creation of man to explain our existence.

Ps shhh G_d - We play in Blue and white stripes. Sometimes maroon and sometimes white. :angel:

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Barrel of Fun said:
It is puzzling. YOu see these Sportsmen run on and thank G-d for giving them the chance/helping them perform etc. But what if a highly religious striker prays for a hatrick. What if that game coincides with a goalkeeper praying for a cleansheet!? Does G_d then have to decide which team he prefers? Rubbish! It all boils down to G_d being a creation of man to explain our existence.

Ps shhh G_d - We play in Blue and white stripes. Sometimes maroon and sometimes white. :angel:

Exactly - Often a boxer will claim God was on his side and helped or aided his win. However the opposing boxer was also praying to God - Baffles me completley ???

Barrel of Fun said:

Are you of the Hebrew faith? I have a number of Jewish friends and they never write God-always as you have done: G_d.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
just find it slightly creepy when people say Jesus was guiding their three-wood into the centre of the fairway.

Lee Trevino -- before he was actually hit by lightning -- was asked what he did on the course when there was lightning threatening.
His reply: "I hold a one-iron over my head." "Isn't that, like, incredibly dangerous?
"Nah, not even God can hit a one-iron."

Oh, and while He may hit a mean three-wood, Jesus' short game is suspect.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe if England players made the sign of the cross on their chests when they went onto the pitch He might make us less shit?

It's always funny how god get all the credit when things go right. I've yet to hear a sportsman f*** things up and ask god to take the blame.
Seems to have thge bets of both worlds does old G. Unfortunately it's all bollocks and g doesn't exist anyway so there you go.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Nemesis said:
Are you of the Hebrew faith? I have a number of Jewish friends and they never write God-always as you have done: G_d.

:lol: No. I picked it up from Buba - our resident anti-muslim who likened some posters to Goebbels and called my flatmate an anti-semite, despite the fact that he is jewish! :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here