Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Thread: *** Albion 3-1 Boston *** Discuss it here

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Just got back - What a load of bollocks !

Sorry to sound defeatist after a victory, but I've had more fun cleaning the bog the morning after a vindaloo and 10 pints.

We have got to improve and quick otherwise the season's going to deteriorate in a mid table yawn.

Hart was anoymous tonight. Roberts made a couple of good saves and then pulled one out of Zippo's Circus.

El-Abd tried hard, but overall we look like a squad who has no depth, and our subs bench is not exactly inspiring.

Why have we changed so much since the end of last season ???

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
Just got back......

I think overall we didn't play too badly - we just gave the ball away far TOO much. Think Pethwick had a bad game but I think Jones had a really good game. He was really having a go down the left and him and mayo linked up well.

But hey we're through and it was a chance for some new younger fans to watch the team as well. Lets just see what happens on sat Vs Lincoln!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Gives McGhee some time to address the shite and turn it around. :D

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Agree gave the ball away to much.went 1-0 and everyone thought job done.Very lethargic in 2nd half no real passion.Taking Knight off gave the impression the game was over.Tempo of the game was so slow.Typical casual mistake by Roberts.At least they upped the game in extra time looked like they wanted to win.Never got out of 2nd gear in 90 mins.Still a win and closer to Bardiff.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
We have some dead wood in the side as they've been together so long. Its been 5 years since Adams assembled the main nucleus of the side, but they have had their name on the team sheet for too long and need a shake up. Until new blood is brought in that can worry the likes of Jones Pethick Watson Mayo and somewhat Harty, they are going to go on being crap.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We were OK but Mayo, Pethwick and Jones all give the ball away cheaply.

As for Roberts, an accident waiting to happen - what choice Mgee a clown or a dodgy kicker ?

Hats off to Chris Mcphee though he really is starting to put a few really good performance in the bag.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Plymouth are out beaten on penalties

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I've just got back from the match well Roberts has confirmed he is not ready to come back and Kuipers is number1 what a howler!! Well done to Adam El-Abd on his first team debut. Chris Mcphee deservedly man of the match he worked so hard as usual.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Well, I have just got back, cold and wet.
We really only started playing in extra time.
The second half we sat back and let Boston come at us.
We give the ball away too much and cant string two passes together. The error by Roberts was schoolboy stuff. The midfield is non existant.
But other than that we were ok!
Look forward to the new signings, we need them to shake this team up a bit.
McGhee will have a lot to think about.
But we are through, and we have as much chance as anyone of winning this trophy.
The atmosphere at Withdean tonight was appalling, sorry but it was. I have nothing against kids (I was one myself not so long ago) but there were far too many around me pissing about, and asking mummy 'whats the score', why bring them if theyre not interested? I find it astounding they wear the colours but have no interest in the game. I was never like that at, at their age.
Anyway - rant over, going to dry off now and await barrage of abuse from parents who have taken their kids to the game tonight.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Wasn't at the game tonight, but I'm concerned to hear that Hart appears to have had another ineffectual game. What on Earth has happened to him. He has always been a player you could bank on having 4 good games out of 5, he'd never set the World alight but you knew what you were getting with Harty, and that was a good hard working performance. What's happened to him?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My lad got pissed off with all the other kids - called them plastic fans.

I must be educating him well, however, they are the potential future fan base but a bit silly at the end when announcer said we hope to see you here again - not really likely for a league, FA or Carling Cup game.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Beach Hut said:
a bit silly at the end when announcer said we hope to see you here again -

...maybe he was talking to the manager?

Last edited:

The kids were annoying! ahhh... Some kid shouting the whole match - the guy next to him made me laugh as he had a face like thunder!

I thought we have played the best in ages. Passed the ball, Jonsey looked on form (OMG can't believe I sad that). Yes, we looked dodgy at times, but still the best we've played in a long time.

Glad to see McGhee training them to pass to feet instead of heads.

I think we played the best when the ball was rolled from the back - something that needed to be done ages ago.

PABLO ESCOBAR

Oct 3, 2003
Bogota.
BrightonBird said:
The kids were annoying! ahhh... Some kid shouting the whole match - the guy next to him made me laugh as he had a face like thunder!

I thought we have played the best in ages. Passed the ball, Jonsey looked on form (OMG can't believe I sad that). Yes, we looked dodgy at times, but still the best we've played in a long time.

Glad to see McGhee training them to pass to feet instead of heads.

I think we played the best when the ball was rolled from the back - something that needed to be done ages ago.

Have you ever thought of presenting Sky Sports?
Well reported Bird.

Lush

Mods' Pet
We were OK tonight, but I agree that there are some players who are just not as good as they once were.

Watson is the obvious example, but tonight I would also put Chippy, and - although it grieves me to say it - Harty and Mayo on the list. Jonesy is brilliant one minute and crap the next - what's going on there?

El Abd and Little Hinsh had good games, especially once McGhee told them to push up in extra time.

Knight and McPhee are fine - McPhee in particular looks strong and is not afraid to shoot.

I never, never, never ever want to see Ben Roberts try to dribble the ball out of the area again.

We need to sell some dead wood to lower league clubs - the kids (Hinsh, Ed Abd, Robinson, Marney, Harding, Wilkinson etc) won't look out of place in Div 2. Give them a chance while we sort out some new players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here