Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Thread: *** Albion 3-1 Boston *** Discuss it here

PABLO ESCOBAR

Oct 3, 2003
Bogota.
No problem bird!!
I will get myself one of those push up bras and a nice frock and have a shave and I will be your your assistant.
Don't like high heels though!
:nono:

PABLO ESCOBAR said:

Don't like high heels though!
:nono:

Look, yto be glam, you need heels - silver sparkly ones! That or I'll find another assistant!:jester:

I feel this thread is going off topic.

Nice to see Marney get a chance - but didn't do that much. Would like to have seen McPhee go off so we could see what Marney was like with Little Leon.

Last edited:

Not exactly a polished performance. Ok 1st half, shite 2nd half. McGhee introduced a strange and mythical notion called passing to feet at the team talk after 90 mins, which paid off within a couple of minutes. We were easily the better side when we could be bothered.

We need to up the performance if we want more league points. that said, I am very glad that we have finally won again.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Showed that we desperately need a new central midfield player. Pethick was woeful. He simply didn't look up when he passed it, and so either passed it to the opposition or a big empty space.
El Abd looked good and confident for a young lad.
Referee was shite as was the lino in the first half.
Good to see that they were trying to pass it to feet a bit more rather than just lumping it.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
On the annoying kids front surely it's worth having a few annoying kids around you at a game like this. They are the future Falmer crowd when we're all tucked up at home with a lap blanket and a hotty watching the south of England roller skate formation dancing on Grandstand, dribbling away and shouting nurse. The club did a mail-out to all Junior Seagulls offering one adult and four kids for £25, and they seemed to have a good response. If just 40 or 50 of these become regulars then surely that's a good thing?

On the team front it is a bit worrying. The team have only performed really well on three or four occasions so far, and thank god we're in the position we are. Bring a couple of new faces in to shake everyone up, and hopefully we'll see an improvement. Too many players know that they are guaranteed a starting place, and seem to have lost the will to play their hearts out. The fact that they were relegated last season may well still be a factor. Winning division two? Been there, done that, got the T shirt... And if they go up again how many will be thinking that they'll be out of a job? Hopefully McGhee will shake them up.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Deano's Right Foot said:
On the annoying kids front surely it's worth having a few annoying kids around you at a game like this. They are the future Falmer crowd when we're all tucked up at home with a lap blanket and a hotty watching the south of England roller skate formation dancing on Grandstand, dribbling away and shouting nurse. The club did a mail-out to all Junior Seagulls offering one adult and four kids for £25, and they seemed to have a good response. If just 40 or 50 of these become regulars then surely that's a good thing?

too right mate.
why are we so down on having kids around in this country. it really gets on my tits. :angry:

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Deano's Right Foot said:

I totally agree, but my point was more aimed at the kids that were pissing around and not watching the game, they didnt even know the score for christs sake. Yes they are the future and the ones that are genuine and interested I applaud, the others can stay at home, because they ruin my enjoyment of the game.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Rambo,

i know what you mean but it's taken my 7 year old, half a dozen games to really take an interest (and it's just as embarrassing for me as it is annoying for you), but i figure it's an investment if he takes me for the next 30 years.

On the game, is it only me who thought El Abd did really well ?

And McGhee's 90 minute team talk obviously worked. Now if he could just get the timing of the talk right (like before the game or half time) i would be far happier (and dryer)

Aug 12, 2003
Perth WA
A View from C block

View from Block C

Never been seated in Block C before and never seen so many debutante supporters of the sub 4 foot tall variety. Seat was fine and the kids, although many of them didn’t have a clue what was going on the pitch will have had a cracking time singing 'cheat fell over' in high pitched choir boy tones :ascarf: :ascarf: :ascarf: whenever a Boston player was felled legally or otherwise by one of the ‘good’ guys. The only off pitch downer was the people who were so irritated by the presence of so many 'annoying little brats', well bah humbug to you too. They paid (or their Grandads did) for a ticket and matches like this are ideal for blooding the future life long Albion fans that will fill Falmer.

On the pitch well... where can I start.

The positives;
Chris McPhee was outstanding and once Knight had been replaced, marshalled things up front. Knight himself took some real bruising tackles again and worked very hard to come close on a couple of occasions; Nathan Jones had his moments when he really looked a threat and managed to round his player on a few occasions mainly in the first 45; El-Abd was solid enough but held on to the ball for too long; mayo showed some real pace but lacked direction.

The Comedy;
The Referee added to the kid’s party atmosphere by putting on his red nose and oversize shiny black boots. Hand balls were missed by him on at least two occasions, Boston kicked the ball away or continued to shoot after the whistle had been blown without any penalisation, advantage was played rarely and in the first 15 mins the offside rule was apparently only to benefit the underdogs. Mr. Taylor of Cheshunt had obviously only revised certain elements of the referees handbook before his test on the pitch. One regulation he was determined to practise the effectiveness of was the foul throw. After several practices at the use of the foul throw as a method of fragmenting play, he had gained in confidence and decided now to try the multiple foul throw. This worked a treat and added a lighter moment to the proceedings and after 3 consecutive foul throws from the same incident one of the Boston players took his turn, managed to let the ball slip from his hands as he prematurely released it into the air and almost back onto his own head. Another foul throw given we finally got it right and the match plodded on.

The Match;
We lacked ideas and the whole team was therefore shapeless a bit like a team with a new coach who has not stamped his Mark on them yet. Boston played in true cup-tie underdog spirit and were obviously doing as their coach no doubt instructed them and were enjoying themselves. Mr. Reliable - Gary Hart (despite the fact he contributed the cross which resulted in Chippy's side footed opening goal) was a prime example of our deficiency in the 'cunning plan' department. We played too narrow for the first 90 mins, in the main down the left in the first half and right in the second. There was no width to our game until Hinsh was released into a wing back roll in extra time. Then...surprise, surprise we found the pitch did have wings and on both sides, his youthful pace and Nathan Jones creativity and Shuey’s finishing opened up Boston like a caddy of tea. True I had been made to sit an extra 15 minutes longer in the Stadium of not so Light showers but in reality that 15 mins was really the only period worthy of 'professional football' label.

The 'foot'note;
Ben Roberts will be much criticised, no doubt, for his moment of madness. This really was a schoolboy error that resulted in the equaliser. Trying to dribble the ball across your own goal line, pursued by no less than two goal hungry Pilgrims, was less than sensible. FDM takes stick for his kicking, but he would, at the very least, have had this one cleared into the woods at the back of the south stand, instead of passing the ball into the path of a very appreciative Duffield. Roberts up until then had been effective, collecting crosses, distributing rapidly and kicking well. He is a great keeper who was perhaps trying a little too hard in conditions, which were becoming quite greasy, that being said give me FDM any day.

We must and I am sure will regain composure and shape under MM. We will also benefit no doubt from on loan cover and the return of the FDM, SR, DC and CO. At least MM will have had the benefit of 195 minutes of cup matches to learn about and reshape his squad, before he applies his skills to the league campaign.

KTF

:thumbsup:

Re: A View from C block

Seagullsgonnagetya said:
View from Block C

The 'foot'note;
Ben Roberts will be much criticised, no doubt, for his moment of madness. This really was a schoolboy error that resulted in the equaliser. Trying to dribble the ball across your own goal line, pursued by no less than two goal hungry Pilgrims, was less than sensible. FDM takes stick for his kicking, but he would, at the very least, have had this one cleared into the woods at the back of the south stand, instead of passing the ball into the path of a very appreciative Duffield. Roberts up until then had been effective, collecting crosses, distributing rapidly and kicking well. He is a great keeper who was perhaps trying a little too hard in conditions, which were becoming quite greasy, that being said give me FDM any day.

:thumbsup:

errr and what about the "drop and fumble" just before their equaliser and not to metion standing around watching a 35 yard dribbler of a free kick hit the post:eek:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
"Leon Knight's not going to get 80 goals - he may get 60 - but he won't get 80, so we need other people scoring goals."

I suddenly really like our new manager

:lolol:

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Brightonfan1983 said:
"Leon Knight's not going to get 80 goals - he may get 60 - but he won't get 80, so we need other people scoring goals."

I suddenly really like our new manager

:lolol:

pure quality!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here