Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richard Tiltman - It still bugs me !!

Spunk Bubble

Feb 21, 2007
Even after all these years I still find it amazing that Barry Lloyd played Richard Tiltman ahead of Dean Saunders. And even more annoying is that we sold Deano for £60k. What a complete f**k up !!:ohmy:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Time to let sleeping dogs lie, mythinks?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
bugs me too but Lloyd did a number of incompetant things when in charge. Geoff Cooper and his other non leaguers spring to mind

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I've said it before and I'll say it again. BHA FC did not sell Dean Saunders for £60k. Barclays Bank sold Dean Saunders for £60k.

The club was in so much debt, Barclays told them to sell their main asset as soon as possible for whatever they could get. I think it was Mark (dont take your eyes off your boys) Lawrensen who got wind off this, and who offered £60k almost as a joke, and Barclays being a joke themseleves, made Brighton accept the offer to pay off debts.

Barry Lloyd had f*** all to do with it, and personally I believe without him this club would have gone under, a long before pink and perky showed up.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Spunk Bubble said:
Even after all these years I still find it amazing that Barry Lloyd played Richard Tiltman ahead of Dean Saunders. And even more annoying is that we sold Deano for £60k. What a complete f**k up !!:ohmy:

I agree: a most disgraceful affair.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I too was very stressed about this for years. But it was not Barry fault it was the boards fault. We couldn't afford to pay Saunders wages and the board at the time said they actually wanted to let Saunders go for nothing but Barry managed to get 60K. Those people who run the club in those days were so evil to the supporters.

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2006
South Atlantic
I thought that the Tiltmaster replaced Saunders, rather than relegated him to the bench.

He did score one supreme goal for the Albion, but other that than was shocking.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Lloyd did wonders with no money, his job was to sell everybody who was on a high wage.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
I never understood why Lloyd was hated as much as he was. He did get some real bargains and the only mistake imho was Nelson. Somne of the players he got - Gotsmanov, Small, Byrne etc and getting us in the play offs with a negative goal difference was amazing. great bloke to talk to too:bowdown:

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
There's speculation that Saunders may become the Bradford manager.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Its very easy to blame Barry Lloyd, but as previous posts have stated (and backed up with facts) clearly it was not his fault.

In terms of Tilts, I think the criticism is harsh. Sure his performances werent the best, but he was a young player thrown in at the deep end to replace someone who was a crowd favourite (don't forget Saunders had been poor during that season).

Tilts was prolific in the County League and had continued his golascoring for Worthing (who at the time finished second to Wycombe, who, went in to what was then the Conference). He was not a bad player, but just needed more time and the Club didn't have that available....

Lloydy also brought in John Crumplin from Bognor and he played well for the Albion...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Seagullible said:
I never understood why Lloyd was hated as much as he was. He did get some real bargains and the only mistake imho was Nelson. Somne of the players he got - Gotsmanov, Small, Byrne etc and getting us in the play offs with a negative goal difference was amazing. great bloke to talk to too:bowdown:
Agree with that.

adammicheal

Jan 3, 2006

Lloydy also brought in John Crumplin from Bognor and he played well for the Albion... [/B]

On the other side of the coin he also chased Mark Farrington all round europe to sign him

What a complete waste of time and money that was

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here