Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Allotments

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Hi all

I just wanted to see if any of you posters are green fingered ( not you BOF ;) )and have an allotment or veg patch? Both Moggy and I have had ours since September and have spent the last few weeks getting it ready for the planting season. It is taking shape and another 2 tonnes of topsoil will finish it off nicely.
What I was wondering is what steps you have taken to get your best crops and what you find the best to grow :) also any other tips etc:)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Runner beans and potatoes are the easiest.
We've grown tomatoes in a grow bag too.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Onions keep for ever, you should be planting now if you are near the coast.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Cheers Yorkie
We have got plans for a lot of growing as we have a large plot and I am shocked as to what we can actually grow in this country now. We are growing Kiwi, Banana, Papaya ( in the greenhouse )
Melon, Strawberry, redcurrant, blackcurrant, Gooseberry, Raspberry, Blueberry, Jooseberry, Lettuuce, cabbage, broccoli, sprouts, Pak Choi, 5ft high cabbage, Carrot, tomato, chilli, peppers, Fennel, Cucumber, courgette, onion, Rhubarb, Asparagus, Leek and Radish.
Moggy Have I missd anything out and blimey I have not realised how much we are actually growing :eek:

Ooops missed Butternut Squash and Sweetcorn doh

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
You'll have to let me know if you have any surplus crops and I'll buy some off you. Are you growing organically or spraying?

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Yorkie said:
You'll have to let me know if you have any surplus crops and I'll buy some off you. Are you growing organically or spraying?
Purely Organic Yorkie. Do not agree with pesticides etc. We have even built a pond and got loads of Frogspawn so we can have lots of frogs jumping aroud eating all the slugs :)
Tim, you leave our Rhubarb alone and I might grow some celery for you as your missus said your not very good :p

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Potatoes, Carrots, Rhurbarb, Leeks. And a selection of Herbs. :wave:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What no radishes?

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
dougdeep said:
What no radishes?

Yes Radish is the last on the list mate. Someone your age should know everything about allotments mate. Us younger members should have to bow down to your wisdom:p :lolol: :lolol:

On a more serious note anybody on here like me that is currently suffering severe depression in which I have now been off work for 6 months with it, The allotment has been a godsend. It has helped me get over agrophobia that I was suffering so badly from that I had to give away tickets for a few games this season and has helped me feel relaxed and more at peace with myself. Without it I think I would still be a long way from recovery but with it I know I am on the right path:clap2:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Nature cures all. Good luck to you sir.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
B.M.F said:
Yes Radish is the last on the list mate. Someone your age should know everything about allotments mate. Us younger members should have to bow down to your wisdom:p :lolol: :lolol:

dougdeep knows loads about allotments because he used to be a scarecrow :D

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Tom Hark said:
dougdeep knows loads about allotments because he used to be a scarecrow :D

Until I lent Tom my coat.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tom Hark said: