Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloody Lefties...

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Strikes me that Chris Hughton hasn't got the confidence in Murphy, March or Skalak to give either of them a prolonged run in the team. Who would you have? Every now and then Murphy looks class (the Reading game) but on other days he's about as influential as someone who's not particularly influential within the context of a professional football match. Likewise Solly March, who I really want to believe is the next Ryan Giggs but is keeping me waiting. Skalak? Decent enough on his day but ineffectual all too often.

Decisions, decisions...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Strikes me that Chris Hughton hasn't got the confidence in Murphy, March or Skalak to give either of them a prolonged run in the team. Who would you have? Every now and then Murphy looks class (the Reading game) but on other days he's about as influential as someone who's not particularly influential within the context of a professional football match. Likewise Solly March, who I really want to believe is the next Ryan Giggs but is keeping me waiting. Skalak? Decent enough on his day but ineffectual all too often.

Decisions, decisions...

I think you've summed up how I feel about all three players too. I'd probably stick with Hughton's tactics of rotating Murphy and March and Skalak on the subs bench.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Decisions, decisions...

If they're all fit, there's a similar issue at left back: I know someone on here will disagree, but we've got real competition at left back too. At least, the righties are solid, dependable and pick themselves -- they're also joyous, hardworking and delightful, so there the analogy breaks down.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The only competition we have at left back is finding somebody who can actually stay fit enough to last to the end of the season (bring back Calde).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't see it as an issue. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. I think March will eventually make the spot his as he matures.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Regarding Solly I was widely mocked for saying anything from him this season is a bonus, and that only after preseason should we begin to hold him to account.
I still stand by that, even though I was clearly wrong about the level at which he'd return.

I think AK is a little too ingratiated, there are games when it obviously just isn't happening, and yet he isn't the change that gets made.
Which in turn doesn't really help Murphy and Skalak, as we end up rotating 3 players into 1 position.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Very frustrating for sure but they all have their moments....wish one would grab the bull by the horns and perform on a more regular basis.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Then again.

It wasn't so long ago we were treated to the sight of 'number 9 Ashley Barnes' playing as the defensive holding left winger :shrug: in front of Wayne Bridge.

So complaining about March, Murphy and Skalak is churlish in the extreme.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Regarding Solly I was widely mocked for saying anything from him this season is a bonus, and that only after preseason should we begin to hold him to account.
I still stand by that, even though I was clearly wrong about the level at which he'd return.

I think AK is a little too ingratiated, there are games when it obviously just isn't happening, and yet he isn't the change that gets made.
Which in turn doesn't really help Murphy and Skalak, as we end up rotating 3 players into 1 position.

Rotherham? I am sure I saw March replacing Knocky? I did have a few though so maybe wrong..Knocky certainly got subbed though!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very frustrating for sure but they all have their moments....wish one would grab the bull by the horns and perform on a more regular basis.
It seems like they are each suited to a particular type of opposition.

Skalak being the extreme, needing teams to stand off him, and not play 4-4-2 wing orientated football.
Murphy needs to be able to run diagonally from the wing at half way towards the penalty spot.
While Solly is the most like AK as a conventional winger.

Neither of which can cross like Skalak.
Who in turn can't beat players like they can.
Or leave them for dust like Murphy can.
Who like the other 2 isn't as good a crosser.
Those 3 are less defensively minded, than Skalak, but are fair more of a threat when counter-attacking.

:shrug:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Then again.

It wasn't so long ago we were treated to the sight of 'number 9 Ashley Barnes' playing as the defensive holding left winger :shrug: in front of Wayne Bridge.

So complaining about March, Murphy and Skalak is churlish in the extreme.

I'm not sure anyone's complaining. All 3 can play brilliantly but as the OP notes none of them are able at the moment to do it consistently. It's just an observation, if any were able to play brilliantly all the time then they wouldn't be playing for us in the Championship so what do we do to manage it? Does any of them play better at home than away? Are any of them impact players who are better used coming off the bench? Are there other players in the team esp, in the forward line who work better with one of them? Does one of them start brightly but fade towards the end? Asking those questions isn't being churlish, let alone in the extreme.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure anyone's complaining. All 3 can play brilliantly but as the OP notes none of them are able at the moment to do it consistently. It's just an observation, if any were able to play brilliantly all the time then they wouldn't be playing for us in the Championship so what do we do to manage it? Does any of them play better at home than away? Are any of them impact players who are better used coming off the bench? Are there other players in the team esp, in the forward line who work better with one of them? Does one of them start brightly but fade towards the end? Asking those questions isn't being churlish, let alone in the extreme.

I was directing that as much to myself than the thread, although knowing NSC it'll probably come in handy later!

The highlighted section is always my default setting, I do wonder what some on here expect from championship players.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
It seems like they are each suited to a particular type of opposition.

Skalak being the extreme, needing teams to stand off him, and not play 4-4-2 wing orientated football.
Murphy needs to be able to run diagonally from the wing at half way towards the penalty spot.
While Solly is the most like AK as a conventional winger.

Neither of which can cross like Skalak.
Who in turn can't beat players like they can.
Or leave them for dust like Murphy can.
Who like the other 2 isn't as good a crosser.
Those 3 are less defensively minded, than Skalak, but are fair more of a threat when counter-attacking.

:shrug:

Pretty much spot on as far as I'm concerned.

Which is why those three can't hold down a starting place. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Chop and choose as CH sees fit depending on opposition maybe?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here