Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think a GQT thread might prove quite popular.

Those of you who are professional and keen amateur gardeners (even lawn movers like Lamie can join in!) might like to help those of us who'd rather go to work than step outside the back door.

That said, the first question is rather counter intuitive and probably isn't a great place to start.

My garden is blighted by this monstrosity and I want it gone:-

IMG_20200324_085400.jpg

It's about 20-30 ft tall, the circumference at the base is 4ft.

The worst thing about it is the one in the garden behind that's about twice the size!

I'm confident I can send the boy up a ladder to saw the branches off.
But how should I tackle the remaining 10ft high trunk, with rudimentary tools, ie - no chainsaw.

I'm assuming digging it out isn't an option.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Mad mad world

18316CFC-0789-4A25-ACE1-F4B5DA06EC78.jpeg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’ve got a chainsaw ...but uncertain if I can use it.....anyway if you have plenty of time on your hands going the digging route couple of months should be sorted ...you’d have a rather large hole after mind :moo:

It’s soft wood ...use a bread knife?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Those of you who are professional and keen amateur gardeners (even lawn movers like Lamie can join in!) might like to help those of us who'd rather go to work than step outside the back door.

That said, the first question is rather counter intuitive and probably isn't a great place to start.

View attachment 121405

The worst thing about it is the one in the garden behind that's about twice the size!

But how should I tackle the remaining 10ft high trunk, with rudimentary tools, ie - no chainsaw.

Monstrosity!?

That's a bloody nice tree.

Each to his own...

:shrug:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I was once told that knocking a copper nail in a tree would poison and kill it. Wasn’t told how long it would take though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’ve got a chainsaw ...but uncertain if I can use it.....anyway if you have plenty of time on your hands going the digging route couple of months should be sorted ...you’d have a rather large hole after mind :moo:

As I thought.

I might just cut the branches off then throw a rug over it or something, that's always been my go too move with other stuff I don't want to deal with.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've just got to say that I have a chainsaw and it's the best boy's toy ever.

Sorry, can't help with the question, but I quite like it :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Monstrosity!?

That's a bloody nice tree.

Each to his own...

:shrug:
It's like owning a perpetually moulting Old English Sheepdog.

The 'fronds' :shrug: can't be mowed and they don't 'mulch' :shrug: either.
If it had been planted on the other side of the garden so most of the carnage went over the fence it wouldn't be a problem now.

There's a tidy bush next to it dying, one of those ones that goes red.
Soon I'm going to have fence issues.

Hence it's got to go.

Plus, as said it's clearly a 'grower', having turned into that from a twig in a little over 10 years.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

View attachment 121405

I'd rethink this until you are sure we have a much longer lockdown.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's like owning a perpetually moulting Old English Sheepdog.

The 'fronds' :shrug: can't be mowed and they don't 'mulch' :shrug: either.
If it had been planted on the other side of the garden so most of the carnage went over the fence it wouldn't be a problem now.

There's a tidy bush next to it dying, one of those ones that goes red.
Soon I'm going to have fence issues.

Hence it's got to go.

Plus, as said it's clearly a 'grower', having turned into that from a twig in a little over 10 years.

Never seen a twig turn into a tree before..best keep it ..unique

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

View attachment 121405

That is a Cordyline Indivisa. Big old buggers and almost certain to regrow if you just remove the top without removing the trunk and root system, which will require a stump grinder, with no guarantee of success. I would take out the top and sixty per cent of the trunk to start with. I would then drill about twenty holes into the remaining trunk at an angle of about 45 degrees downwards. I would space these out evenly around the trunk and from top to bottom. I would then use the strongest weed killer available and fill each hole to the brim (maybe 50-100 mm deep) monthly for a year. Then do whatever you can to get the stump out. Slow but you will not get regrowth.

Oh, the weed killer should be used neat.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Never seen a twig turn into a tree before..best keep it ..unique

If I remember rightly, when planted, it looked like a wooden spoon had been thrown out of the window and it had managed to land upright.
That was about 12 years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here