Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Possibly the most obscure question ever asked on NSC?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Does anyone know if Albion had a match postponed on Feb 16 1985?

Tim Carder's official history mentions that the Goldstone crowd was low the previous Saturday (Feb 9) because ice closed the East Terrace. The next game was Feb 23. Was 16th perhaps the date of the FA Cup fifth round? Or was there a big freeze?

Anyone with a programme from that season who can tell me?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
During that week I Know Him So Well by Elaine Page and Barbara Dickson was in the top 5 of UK hits. It must have caused the cancellation of the match.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Tim Carder's official history mentions that the Goldstone crowd was low the previous Saturday (Feb 9) because ice closed the East Terrace. The next game was Feb 23. Was 16th perhaps the date of the FA Cup fifth round? Or was there a big freeze?

It was FA Cup fifth round day.

We were due to play at home to Blackburn Rovers who reached the fifth round, losing to Manchester United.

It would probably have been cancelled anyway. No matches survived in the south that day.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What was the result of Afghanistan's only international match in England and where was it played?

They've played a number here. None in the longer format though.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What was the result of Afghanistan's only international match in England and where was it played?

You mean the 6-0 defeat to Luxembourg in the Olympic Games match at the Goldstone in 1948? Every Brighton fan knows about that.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Most obscure question on NSC

Does anyone know how to repair one of these?

pig.jpg

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It was FA Cup fifth round day.

We were due to play at home to Blackburn Rovers who reached the fifth round, losing to Manchester United.

It would probably have been cancelled anyway. No matches survived in the south that day.

Ah, excellent, thanks.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You mean the 6-0 defeat to Luxembourg in the Olympic Games match at the Goldstone in 1948? Every Brighton fan knows about that.

Seemingly except me.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Don't know about the postponed game but I was ballboy for the Cardiff game that was the one where they closed the East Terrace. It was on MOTD and I was in front of the North Stand. We were told to run around a lot as the cameras were there. I touched the ball twice and the only goal was down the South End. So much for my 5 minutes of fame.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Don't know about the postponed game but I was ballboy for the Cardiff game that was the one where they closed the East Terrace. It was on MOTD and I was in front of the North Stand. We were told to run around a lot as the cameras were there. I touched the ball twice and the only goal was down the South End. So much for my 5 minutes of fame.

Also the first time I realised that footballers swore. Moseley game up the tunnel after the warm up and said "f******* day for goalkeepers".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here