Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Rock

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Remake of Brighton Rock on the box tonight at 11pm BBC2
Have only seen the original
Is this one any good and was much of it filmed around Brighton?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I watched it as I was impressed with Sam Riley playing Ian Curtis in 'Control'. It's watchable but doesn't set the world alight. Set as a 60's version with Mods. Lots of Brighton in it along the seafront and Brighton Marina is wrongly seen from Madeira Terraces. Ending set on Beachy Head. More a TV film. Open the wine and enjoy it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've read the book and seen the original film. As both are classics Im not sure I'd enjoy or what I'd get from the remake.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The original has some sort of cult status and the 60s Mod remake will upset some stuffy types, but it's an OK film in its own right.

Sam Riley's intensity certainly matches luvvy Dickie's.

As for the rest of it...it's OK.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Saw the remake when it was released.

It is not as good as the 1947 original which carries far more menace and reflects better the criminal world, as well as having far better shots of Brighton.

The remake is OK but maybe one to record rather than miss MOTD for.

Its a heap of:shit:

Can'tbeat the original:moo:

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 226
  • scan bton rock0001.jpg
    scan bton rock0001.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 226
  • scan bton rock0004.jpg
    scan bton rock0004.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 225
  • scan bton rock0003.jpg
    scan bton rock0003.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 223
  • scan bton rock0002.jpg
    scan bton rock0002.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 219

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
To be honest it didn't need remaking, could never be bettered even with today's cgi etc, and they predictably made a complete hash of it. Whoever heard of Eastbourne Rock anyway?

May 21, 2014
Portslade
Great photos Rev of the original Brighton Rock, especially the first one as it's my dad on the left hand side in front of the Ki-Ki Bookmakers stand, he worked as a stuntman on the film and actually knocked Sir Dickie out!

I've never seen that photograph before. Thanks for posting it!

Great photos Rev of the original Brighton Rock, especially the first one as it's my dad on the left hand side in front of the Ki-Ki Bookmakers stand, he worked as a stuntman on the film and actually knocked Sir Dickie out!

I've never seen that photograph before. Thanks for posting it!

My uncle is on the right, Ki-KI worked on the guns of navarone so my uncle told me:thumbsup: My mum and dad were extras in the race course scenes and took the photos:)

Last edited:

May 21, 2014
Portslade
Yes your uncle is right my dad was in the Guns of Navarone he doubled for Gregory Peck in the cliff dive scene and did many other scenes in the film too. What wonderful memories for you brilliant photographs. So your uncle must have known my dad quite well did he work for Ki-Ki?

Yes your uncle is right my dad was in the Guns of Navarone he doubled for Gregory Peck in the cliff dive scene and did many other scenes in the film too. What wonderful memories for you brilliant photographs. So your uncle must have known my dad quite well did he work for Ki-Ki?

Cyril Rossiter worked together alot(not in films)

Just spoke to my mum about your uncle she remembers him and said what a lovely gentleman he was and said he worked with Ki-Ki for years as their clerk.

He was the perfect gent,i know he he worked at the track and was involved in other ventures not sure if these were with Ki-Ki or other individuals.Another pic of my uncle front row second from the right He was the one that got us all into the Albion:bowdown:

Attachments

• scan0039.jpg
    scan0039.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here