• A response to: "The club and their self importance/arrogance"

    Please note: this post was originally made in response to the thread The club and their self importance/arrogance

    The club are far from perfect but the, quite frankly, gobsmacking ingratitude of an increasing number of people is very, very sad.

    There are quite a number that actively try and seek a tiny sniff of controversy so they can jump on their soapbox to start ranting.

    Offer a free breakfast to watch the fixture announcements and watch the complaints because of short notice, poor quality food etc. Let kids camp on the pitch for a night to try and cement a few long term fans and it is tinpot/embarrassing. Price things at a point where they will sell well and maximise player funds and it more indications of Barber squeezing every penny/the club ripping off long term fans. Release new kits that are a bit formulaic but will fly out for kids/youngsters/brand name fans and you are selling out/sunday league.

    And spend over 200 million on a football club with little likelihood of seeing any of it back and then try and run the club with sensible finances and you will be invited to leave or declared as lacking ambition.

    For what it's worth, I'm not comfortable supporting a biggish club in the mad money world of modern football when I'm essentially funding a couple of days salary of a squad player with my (significant to me) contribution. And I have a nasty feeling that the club will try and squeeze people like me out of 1901 trying to chase the corporate pound when renewals are announced next year.

    But I gain solace from the fact that, within these boundaries, the powers that be appear to be trying to run in the best way possible. Investing in the future and not massively overspending for a short term gamble.

    Trying to make the training environment the best it can be and insisting on high standards of behaviour from all that attend. They have made mistakes in the past but on the whole seem to try and learn from them. Player recruitment being the most obvious example.

    And there is a growing disconnect at times between the club and the fans but sadly that is the nature of modern football. But on the whole, their heart is in the right place which makes the haters all the more sad.


    .
    This article was originally published in forum thread: The club and their self importance/arrogance started by sterns1901 View original post
    Comments 80 Comments
    1. Dick Swiveller's Avatar
      Dick Swiveller -
      Quote Originally Posted by SIMMO SAYS View Post
      You will notice Dick I have given you a thumbs up for your post. It seems we both jumped in,all guns blazing
      Thumbs up/Likes/Retweets/Reviews are one of my pet peeves with modern forums/social media. Whilst it is nice to know that other people agree with your point of view, it can cause people to chase approval/disapproval. That and the tendency to post every thought/idea that enters their heads. I was persuaded to sign up to Facebook a few years ago and added loads of people I barely knew just because they asked me. When I read a post from a girl at head office I had spoken to maybe twice declaring that she had done her ironing and was therefore a Domestic Godess, I decided that Social Media wasn't for me. I really am a grumpy old man/dinosaur. No wonder I like old computers!
    1. Gazwag's Avatar
      Gazwag -
      Quote Originally Posted by sterns1901 View Post
      5 a side football league that is organised by a local business were all turned away on Thursday at the Amex training ground (community pitch) without any communication or explanation as to why. Turns
      Out this was because of the announcement of the new signing. Pretty poor from the club , I do get a sense that the club are up their own arses, no one would have even recognised the guy and to just cancel this regular event for this reason was pathetic . For me it Sums up the club and the sense of self importance/brand unfortunately
      Quote Originally Posted by sterns1901 View Post
      It wasn't so much the inconvience (although this is a business and the owners would be out of pocket) it is more laughable the fact they had
      To have lockdown on let's face it a player none of us had heard of. A little bit over the top perhaps?
      So in light of the clubs response that it was the sense of self importance and rule breaking by the local "businessmen" maybe your rant was a bit over the top then
    1. Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar
      Tom Hark, Preston Park -
      Quote Originally Posted by sterns1901 View Post
      5 a side football league that is organised by a local business were all turned away on Thursday at the Amex training ground (community pitch) without any communication or explanation as to why. Turns
      Out this was because of the announcement of the new signing. Pretty poor from the club , I do get a sense that the club are up their own arses, no one would have even recognised the guy and to just cancel this regular event for this reason was pathetic . For me it Sums up the club and the sense of self importance/brand unfortunately
      Bet you're feeling a bit disapppointed with that post now
    1. glasfryn's Avatar
      glasfryn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dick Swiveller View Post
      Thumbs up/Likes/Retweets/Reviews are one of my pet peeves with modern forums/social media. Whilst it is nice to know that other people agree with your point of view, it can cause people to chase approval/disapproval. That and the tendency to post every thought/idea that enters their heads. I was persuaded to sign up to Facebook a few years ago and added loads of people I barely knew just because they asked me. When I read a post from a girl at head office I had spoken too maybe twice declaring that she had done her ironing and was therefore a Domestic Godess, I decided that Social Media wasn't for me. I really am a grumpy old man/dinosaur. No wonder I like old computers!
      social media is off the menu more Important things to do and be worried about.
      my gripe about all this living in the past stuff is that people on here will insist tha Tony saved the club, don't get me wrong he is a very good chairman and his generosity knows no bounds, but in my eyes it was the fans that saved the club, and but for them Tony would have had nothing to spend his money on and I doubt very much if we would have been in the enviable position we are in now.
      thankfully Tony is around
      but lets not forget all the hardened fans who thought enough of the club to go about saving it so we have a future.
      RANT OVER
      back into the garden to get some air and sunshine
    1. SIMMO SAYS's Avatar
      SIMMO SAYS -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dick Swiveller View Post
      Thumbs up/Likes/Retweets/Reviews are one of my pet peeves with modern forums/social media. Whilst it is nice to know that other people agree with your point of view, it can cause people to chase approval/disapproval. That and the tendency to post every thought/idea that enters their heads. I was persuaded to sign up to Facebook a few years ago and added loads of people I barely knew just because they asked me. When I read a post from a girl at head office I had spoken too maybe twice declaring that she had done her ironing and was therefore a Domestic Godess, I decided that Social Media wasn't for me. I really am a grumpy old man/dinosaur. No wonder I like old computers!
      Dick, you gotta be a lot older than me then(59 ffs!)
      I have given you coz I agree with what you posted. You are indeed a grumpy old man
    1. Dick Swiveller's Avatar
      Dick Swiveller -
      Quote Originally Posted by SIMMO SAYS View Post
      Dick, you gotta be a lot older than me then(59 ffs!)
      I have given you coz I agree with what you posted. You are indeed a grumpy old man
      Nope - a very old 44! And again, it wasn't a dig - I just found it funny you pointed out the thumbs up when I don't like them. But maybe the system is vindicated as one of the benign but tiresome trolls had given me my only thumbs down so far on this thread. I will add that to my collection of thumbs down hall of fame which includes someone who cost the club tens of thousands of pounds when they could least afford it .
    1. Hampster Gull's Avatar
      Hampster Gull -
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      The only conclusion I have, so far, is that TB is considerably more patient than me.
      By now I'd have locked the Amex and fooked off to Aussieland, screaming obscenities all the way.
      He is also a businessman
    1. One Teddy Maybank's Avatar
      One Teddy Maybank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dick Swiveller View Post
      Indeed. The club are far from perfect but the, quite frankly, gobsmacking ingratitude of an increasing number of people is very, very sad. There are quite a number that actively try and seek a tiny sniff of controversy so they can jump on their soapbox to start ranting. Offer a free breakfast to watch the fixture announcements and watch the complaints because of short notice, poor quality food etc. Let kids camp on the pitch for a night to try and cement a few long term fans and it is tinpot/embarrassing. Price things at a point where they will sell well and maximise player funds and it more indications of Barber squeezing every penny/the club ripping off long term fans. Release new kits that are a bit formulaic but will fly out for kids/youngsters/brand name fans and you are selling out/sunday league. And spend over 200 million on a football club with little likelihood of seeing any of it back and then try and run the club with sensible finances and you will be invited to leave or declared as lacking ambition.

      For what it's worth, I'm not comfortable supporting a biggish club in the mad money world of modern football when I'm essentially funding a couple of days salary of a squad player with my (significant to me) contribution. And I have a nasty feeling that the club will try and squeeze people like me out of 1901 trying to chase the corporate pound when renewals are announced next year. But I gain solace from the fact that, within these boundaries, the powers that be appear to be trying to run in the best way possible. Investing in the future and not massively overspending for a short term gamble. Trying to make the training environment the best it can be and insisting on high standards of behaviour from all that attend. They have made mistakes in the past but on the whole seem to try and learn from them. Player recruitment being the most obvious example. And there is a growing disconnect at times between the club and the fans but sadly that is the nature of modern football. But on the whole, their heart is in the right place which makes the haters all the more sad.
      One of the posts of the year for me.
    1. SIMMO SAYS's Avatar
      SIMMO SAYS -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dick Swiveller View Post
      Nope - a very old 44! And again, it wasn't a dig - I just found it funny you pointed out the thumbs up when I don't like them. But maybe the system is vindicated as one of the benign but tiresome trolls had given me my only thumbs down so far on this thread. I will add that to my collection of thumbs down hall of fame which includes someone who cost the club tens of thousands of pounds when they could least afford it .
      I give lots of and can't remember giving many the other way. You may of assumed in my original post I was a jcl, but I go back to being a proper supporter to the very early seventies. My Grandad took me in the late sixties and I remember being shoved down the front of the East Stand.
    1. severnside gull's Avatar
      severnside gull -
      Quote Originally Posted by Return of the Rev View Post
      clearly? easily convinced
    1. Stat Brother's Avatar
      Stat Brother -
      As this clearly isn't a thread about:-

      The club and their self importance/arrogance

      shouldn't the thread title now reflect that?
    1. SIMMO SAYS's Avatar
      SIMMO SAYS -
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      As this clearly isn't a thread about:-

      The club and their self importance/arrogance

      shouldn't the thread title now reflect that?
      Lets talk about why cycling isn't boring then
    1. Guinness Boy's Avatar
      Guinness Boy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dick Swiveller View Post
      Indeed. The club are far from perfect but the, quite frankly, gobsmacking ingratitude of an increasing number of people is very, very sad. There are quite a number that actively try and seek a tiny sniff of controversy so they can jump on their soapbox to start ranting. Offer a free breakfast to watch the fixture announcements and watch the complaints because of short notice, poor quality food etc. Let kids camp on the pitch for a night to try and cement a few long term fans and it is tinpot/embarrassing. Price things at a point where they will sell well and maximise player funds and it more indications of Barber squeezing every penny/the club ripping off long term fans. Release new kits that are a bit formulaic but will fly out for kids/youngsters/brand name fans and you are selling out/sunday league. And spend over 200 million on a football club with little likelihood of seeing any of it back and then try and run the club with sensible finances and you will be invited to leave or declared as lacking ambition.

      For what it's worth, I'm not comfortable supporting a biggish club in the mad money world of modern football when I'm essentially funding a couple of days salary of a squad player with my (significant to me) contribution. And I have a nasty feeling that the club will try and squeeze people like me out of 1901 trying to chase the corporate pound when renewals are announced next year. But I gain solace from the fact that, within these boundaries, the powers that be appear to be trying to run in the best way possible. Investing in the future and not massively overspending for a short term gamble. Trying to make the training environment the best it can be and insisting on high standards of behaviour from all that attend. They have made mistakes in the past but on the whole seem to try and learn from them. Player recruitment being the most obvious example. And there is a growing disconnect at times between the club and the fans but sadly that is the nature of modern football. But on the whole, their heart is in the right place which makes the haters all the more sad.
      There's an awful lot about modern football that I detest and corporate hospitality along with "third kits" that come straight off an identikit production line are near the top of my shitlist. But they're not the fault of the "club" per se so, when something like yesterday's reveal comes along that I find yanking my chain I do my best just to say nothing.

      Where I had an issue last season was in that something was clearly wrong behind the scenes. We were losing managers / head coaches and good players with monotonous regularity and it was clearly costing us on the pitch. As fans we HAVE to be able to comment on that and, frankly, a good exchange of opinions on this side of things is part of what football's about. However, if we weren't to do the third kits / corporate hosp / club shop promotions it's pretty obvious that things would be worse on the pitch. We have to do this stuff because Sky and Bosman and all those other cts changed a game forever. To be fair, at the time, it was a game that was hard to love.

      It's a credit to the club that they appear to be in the process of fixing things again. I am genuinely encouraged by our signings and our manager. And some of those little ideas ARE great. If it's Tom Gorringe or Paul Barber or Paul Beirne or a mix of all I don't know but the camping on the pitch was a brilliant idea, the fixtures breakfast was a good idea, getting Sevilla in and pricing it correctly was a coup.

      Complaining you've been turfed out because you can't behave. on the other hand, is a bit shithouse.
    1. Diego Napier's Avatar
      Diego Napier -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dick Swiveller View Post
      Nope - a very old 44! And again, it wasn't a dig - I just found it funny you pointed out the thumbs up when I don't like them. But maybe the system is vindicated as one of the benign but tiresome trolls had given me my only thumbs down so far on this thread. I will add that to my collection of thumbs down hall of fame which includes someone who cost the club tens of thousands of pounds when they could least afford it .
      Thank you for post #40 but more importantly, thank you for that excellent description of @Return of the Rev.
    1. glasfryn's Avatar
      glasfryn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      There's an awful lot about modern football that I detest and corporate hospitality along with "third kits" that come straight off an identikit production line are near the top of my shitlist. But they're not the fault of the "club" per se so, when something like yesterday's reveal comes along that I find yanking my chain I do my best just to say nothing.

      Where I had an issue last season was in that something was clearly wrong behind the scenes. We were losing managers / head coaches and good players with monotonous regularity and it was clearly costing us on the pitch. As fans we HAVE to be able to comment on that and, frankly, a good exchange of opinions on this side of things is part of what football's about. However, if we weren't to do the third kits / corporate hosp / club shop promotions it's pretty obvious that things would be worse on the pitch. We have to do this stuff because Sky and Bosman and all those other cts changed a game forever. To be fair, at the time, it was a game that was hard to love.

      It's a credit to the club that they appear to be in the process of fixing things again. I am genuinely encouraged by our signings and our manager. And some of those little ideas ARE great. If it's Tom Gorringe or Paul Barber or Paul Beirne or a mix of all I don't know but the camping on the pitch was a brilliant idea, the fixtures breakfast was a good idea, getting Sevilla in and pricing it correctly was a coup.

      Complaining you've been turfed out because you can't behave. on the other hand, is a bit shithouse.
      now thats post of the week
    1. bn9 bha's Avatar
      bn9 bha -
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      As usual I'm left wondering why the fook did/does Tony bother with some of the most ungrateful fans in world soccer ball.
      Why?
      Because a few fans moan on this forum? I very much doubt it bothers him.
    1. El Presidente's Avatar
      El Presidente -
      Quote Originally Posted by bn9 bha View Post
      Why?
      Because a few fans moan on this forum? I very much doubt it bothers him.
      Especially when it's someone who has made a grand total of 3 posts of complete whiny drivel.
    1. SIMMO SAYS's Avatar
      SIMMO SAYS -
      Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
      Especially when it's someone who has made a grand total of 3 posts of complete whiny drivel.
      So out of your 30,000+ posts you have never posted drivel
    1. bn9 bha's Avatar
      bn9 bha -
      Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
      Especially when it's someone who has made a grand total of 3 posts of complete whiny drivel.
      Exactly.
      I'm glad the Insider came onto this thread with the correct facts
    1. El Presidente's Avatar
      El Presidente -
      Quote Originally Posted by SIMMO SAYS View Post
      So out of your 30,000+ posts you have never posted drivel
      I've posted loads of drivel, but unlike the OP I don't have a 100% record.

      Do you believe his side of the story or Insider?
  • Advertising