• In derision of the Albion naysayers

    Certain Brighton and Hove Albion fans have an infinite capacity to knock the club whatever they do; there is no ray of sunshine that cannot be explained away as a false dawn; no action that cannot be twisted into a desperate measure.


    It would appear that the Seagulls, who have been struggling to score goals all season, are about to sign a Premier League striker; not just ANY Premier League striker, but the man who is 22nd on the list of all-time Premier League goalscorers.

    A man who has been transferred for more than ₤50million during his career.

    A goalscorer who has averaged better than a goal every 3 games at Premier League level.

    A player who is still only 30 years of age, who last played Premier League football TWO DAYS ago.

    And yet still they moan: he's crap, he's useless, he won't fit the system, he's not worth the money, he can't be any good if he's signing for us, why hasn't someone else signed him?

    You Mongers of Doom will find ways to hate WHATEVER the club do. Enjoy your wallowing, my morose comrades; whilst you stew in your self-imposed straitjackets of woe and despair, desperately hoping for individuals to fail in order to invoke your catalogue of told-you-so's, I choose to bathe in the rejuvenating energy of hope, positivity and expectation.


    This article was originally published in forum thread: Bozza tweet [Bent on loan] started by BHA007 View original post
    Comments 137 Comments
    1. Sergei's Celebration's Avatar
      Sergei's Celebration -
      Quote Originally Posted by akipling View Post
      Vicente was once subject to a €36m bid from Real Madrid
      No that was his medical bill.
    1. British Bulldog's Avatar
      British Bulldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by AZ Gull View Post


      Certain Brighton and Hove Albion fans have an infinite capacity to knock the club whatever they do; there is no ray of sunshine that cannot be explained away as a false dawn; no action that cannot be twisted into a desperate measure.

      It would appear that the Seagulls, who have been struggling to score goals all season, are about to sign a Premier League striker; not just ANY Premier League striker, but the man who is 22nd on the list of all-time Premier League goalscorers. A man who has been transferred for more than ₤50million during his career. A goalscorer who has averaged better than a goal every 3 games at Premier League level. A player who is still only 30 years of age, who last played Premier League football TWO DAYS ago.

      And yet still they moan: he's crap, he's useless, he won't fit the system, he's not worth the money, he can't be any good if he's signing for us, why hasn't someone else signed him?

      You Mongers of Doom will find ways to hate WHATEVER the club do. Enjoy your wallowing, my morose comrades; whilst you stew in your self-imposed straitjackets of woe and despair, desperately hoping for individuals to fail in order to invoke your catalogue of told-you-so's, I choose to bathe in the rejuvenating energy of hope, positivity and expectation.
      Excellent post, This could prove to be the signing that turns our season around.
    1. Not Andy Naylor's Avatar
      Not Andy Naylor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Frutos View Post
      Should this happen, may I propose that we all turn up to the Millwall game wearing replica shirts with 'Bent' on the back of them - the neanderthals would have heart failure.

      I saw a guy wearing the pink and white striped women's shirt at South Bermondsey station before one Millwall match a few seasons ago. Nothing beats that.
    1. Hotchilidog's Avatar
      Hotchilidog -
      Could be an excellent signing. I see Bent coming here not only as a goalscorer but as someone who can create opportunities for others aswell. I'm very pleased with this.
    1. Hastings gull's Avatar
      Hastings gull -
      Quote Originally Posted by blue-shifted View Post
      If this happens (big if) then after 5 or 6 games with him in, we should have a much better idea of who’s right in the “our strikers aren’t good enough v SH tactics are the problem argument”

      Clearly Bent would be a quality addition.
      Yes, lets wait and see, but surely this at the very least proof that the club is trying its best to redress a glaring imbalance. We have clamoured for a striker with presence and he is certainly that. Will it work? Who can really tell, as fitting in new players is never going to be an exact science. It will surely take some time, as with relatively little game time, I would not have thought that he will last 90 minutes straight away. Fans, of course, are not always the most patient! And what of the future? Lets assume that he is the big saviour, rather like the chap at Reading who signed at this time a few years ago and fired them to promotion, (well, not on his own!) he presumably he will not come cheap. Will the club have that level of ambition? Interesting times.
    1. Machiavelli's Avatar
      Machiavelli -
      Quote Originally Posted by AZ Gull View Post


      Certain Brighton and Hove Albion fans have an infinite capacity to knock the club whatever they do; there is no ray of sunshine that cannot be explained away as a false dawn; no action that cannot be twisted into a desperate measure.

      It would appear that the Seagulls, who have been struggling to score goals all season, are about to sign a Premier League striker; not just ANY Premier League striker, but the man who is 22nd on the list of all-time Premier League goalscorers. A man who has been transferred for more than ₤50million during his career. A goalscorer who has averaged better than a goal every 3 games at Premier League level. A player who is still only 30 years of age, who last played Premier League football TWO DAYS ago.

      And yet still they moan: he's crap, he's useless, he won't fit the system, he's not worth the money, he can't be any good if he's signing for us, why hasn't someone else signed him?

      You Mongers of Doom will find ways to hate WHATEVER the club do. Enjoy your wallowing, my morose comrades; whilst you stew in your self-imposed straitjackets of woe and despair, desperately hoping for individuals to fail in order to invoke your catalogue of told-you-so's, I choose to bathe in the rejuvenating energy of hope, positivity and expectation.
      Spot on as ever AZ. But the pedant in me wants to point out the greengrocers' apostrophe highlighted in the last sentence.
    1. Ernest's Avatar
      Ernest -
      If he was any good he would have greater aspirations than to play for us, he has been absolutely useless since he signed for Villa and it is quite OBVIOUS that his only appetite these days is for a MASSIVE Full English and none at all for football. We would be better off SINGING 'Arry Redknapps MISSUS as she is a BETTER finisher than BENT
    1. Icy Gull's Avatar
      Icy Gull -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
      If he was any good he would have greater aspirations than to play for us, he has been absolutely useless since he signed for Villa and it is quite OBVIOUS that his only appetite these days is for a MASSIVE Full English and none at all for football. We would be better off SINGING 'Arry Redknapps MISSUS as she is a BETTER finisher than BENT
      You're pretty well on your own here, swimming against he tide and looking a MUG. You may even be right but you do need to wait until 15 mins into his Albion debut given the fact that we don't have a single Championship quality striker on the books at the moment
    1. Machiavelli's Avatar
      Machiavelli -
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      You're pretty well on your own here, swimming against he tide and looking a MUG. You may even be right but you do need to wait until 15 mins into his Albion debut given the fact that we don't have a single Championship quality striker on the books at the moment
      I give you one Adrian Colunga who, for the vast majority of his career, has been regarded as a La Liga quality striker.
    1. Icy Gull's Avatar
      Icy Gull -
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      I give you one Adrian Colunga, who for the vast majority of his career, has been regarded as a La Liga quality striker.
      I was thinking more of a target man type striker, but yes you are right. I actually like Colunga, tidy player who will shine in a passing to feet team.

      Has Bent signed yet btw? This will be a massive let down if it all goes pear shaped like the supposed flurry of alledged signings pre season did.
    1. lawros left foot's Avatar
      lawros left foot -
      Quote Originally Posted by nwgull View Post
      Is it because he refused to turn up for work but still expected the club to pay off the remainder of his contract and took them to court when they didn't?
      When was the court case, I don't remember that
    1. 8ace's Avatar
      8ace -
      Why has the title of this thread changed
    1. super-seagulls's Avatar
      super-seagulls -
      Quote Originally Posted by AZ Gull View Post


      Certain Brighton and Hove Albion fans have an infinite capacity to knock the club whatever they do; there is no ray of sunshine that cannot be explained away as a false dawn; no action that cannot be twisted into a desperate measure.

      It would appear that the Seagulls, who have been struggling to score goals all season, are about to sign a Premier League striker; not just ANY Premier League striker, but the man who is 22nd on the list of all-time Premier League goalscorers. A man who has been transferred for more than ₤50million during his career. A goalscorer who has averaged better than a goal every 3 games at Premier League level. A player who is still only 30 years of age, who last played Premier League football TWO DAYS ago.

      And yet still they moan: he's crap, he's useless, he won't fit the system, he's not worth the money, he can't be any good if he's signing for us, why hasn't someone else signed him?

      You Mongers of Doom will find ways to hate WHATEVER the club do. Enjoy your wallowing, my morose comrades; whilst you stew in your self-imposed straitjackets of woe and despair, desperately hoping for individuals to fail in order to invoke your catalogue of told-you-so's, I choose to bathe in the rejuvenating energy of hope, positivity and expectation.
      I choose to bathe with you.
      Metaphorically speaking of course.
    1. Paris's Avatar
      Paris -
      When we head to Derby next week i'll feel a lot more confident about us getting a result if Bent leads the line.

      Six games leading up to the end of December. Three at home and three away. If we could reach 31 or so points that would be canny.

      Fulham(w), Derby(d), Millwall(w), Wolves(w), Reading(w), Fulham(l). I live in hope
    1. Tooting Gull's Avatar
      Tooting Gull -
      The title of this thread tells you everything.

      If Albion fans stopped deriding each other (either way) and started deriding the opposition and the ref a bit more, then maybe the Amex would have an atmosphere, become intimidating and start punching its weight as a stadium.

      Just a thought.
    1. Bold Seagull's Avatar
      Bold Seagull -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Gull View Post
      The title of this thread tells you everything.

      If Albion fans stopped deriding each other (either way) and started deriding the opposition and the ref a bit more, then maybe the Amex would have an atmosphere, become intimidating and start punching its weight as a stadium.

      Just a thought.
      Not going to happen. As a friend of mine said, we're a bunch of Sussex weirdo's from country villages to a bohemian city / collection of towns. We are odd it must be said.
    1. Icy Gull's Avatar
      Icy Gull -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      Not going to happen. As a friend of mine said, we're a bunch of Sussex weirdo's from country villages to a bohemian city / collection of towns. We are odd it must be said.
      Just like concerts in Brighton. Bands have to try harder in Brighton as we are all so cool that they need to be something special before we get enthusiastic.
    1. Machiavelli's Avatar
      Machiavelli -
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      I was thinking more of a target man type striker, but yes you are right. I actually like Colunga, tidy player who will shine in a passing to feet team.

      Has Bent signed yet btw? This will be a massive let down if it all goes pear shaped like the supposed flurry of alledged signings pre season did.
      Colunga's movement is hugely impressive, and Bruno made a number of pertinent comments about him, and the situation with Albion, in The Argus yesterday (I think). And you're right, I'm not so sure if he'd be as effective at the front of the forward three.
      RE Bent, I looked on The Seagulls website at about 9.30, and there was nothing there then, so we might all be *********** prematurely. I'm just pleased because I've been banging on for a while on here that the primary problem is with our strikers and, particularly, their finishing -- as opposed to all the identified woes/reasons for our start: Sami, his system, his personality, Burke, Bloom, Barber, etc, etc
    1. jimbob5's Avatar
      jimbob5 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      Just like concerts in Brighton. Bands have to try harder in Brighton as we are all so cool that they need to be something special before we get enthusiastic.
      Not sure either comment is totally accurate though I'm sure I find the naval gazing a bit of a cringe.
    1. Mellotron's Avatar
      Mellotron -
      Quote Originally Posted by nwgull View Post
      Is it because he refused to turn up for work but still expected the club to pay off the remainder of his contract and took them to court when they didn't?
      When did he refuse to turn up for work? You are aware that the "turning up late for Palacegame" myth has been debunked as bollocks, right?
  • Advertising