Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your Most Enjoyable Promotion Season

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Has to be Promotion to PL, there was such an unstoppable momentum building, the away games especially. Brum and QPR were “we’re up” memorable feeling evening/nights.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
76/77

Although at seven and eight I never attended a match.

But the neighbour used to bring the programme back of a game and I would be in the kitchen waiting every afternoon for the news from the match. It was as if I was there.

I was just discovering the game and studied the tables and read the Argus. No wonder my reading age was so advanced.

Then came the St Luke's School jubilee celebrations with Gerry Fell guest of honour. Me being sat next to him on the main float had nothing to do with my Mum organising the event.

There is a picture of the poor man staring aimlessly in the distance, me to his left, as I fire another question at him, his wife looking on in amusement.

Actually, here it is..

106492953_10163940270735602_2220124006710772353_n.jpg

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve seen them all since 1976/77 and I was at SJP in May 79.

Avoiding falling into the blue-tinted “the old days were better”, it’s 2016/17 for me - a home and away winning machine, goals aplenty. An amazing squad with any injuries covered so no supporter’s angst for me - Muzza/Baldock/Hemed/Knockaert, Sidwell/Norwood/Stephens/Kayal, Dunk/Goldson/Hunemaier/Duffy. Beating media-hyped and FFP cheats clubs home and away.

It doesn’t get much better, thank you TB and CH.

Followed by 2010/11. 6th biggest budget, yet we crushed the division with brilliant possession and attacking football, I don’t think L1 had seen that style of football before.

To me it started on 25th Sept 2010. Dickov set up Oldham as an 11 man deep block to kill our creativity. Up step Sandaza in the 97th minute, scenes. Followed by 7 months of beautiful, winning football.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Every promotion has of course been great but for me 1976/77 was most memorable. Peter ward was new on the scene and was so exciting to watch. We scored goals for fun. Just as importantly, I was in my teens, single, no kids - so I could follow the team anywhere without having to answer to anyone. Pay on the gate and take a flask and a bottle of water in with the top on!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
10/11 for me. As [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] says, winning 8 from 8 in March was ridiculous. The away performances at Charlton and Peterborough will probably stay with me forever.

Yes. I would throw in the match away at Walsall as well.

Loved Elliott Bennett’s goal…..

Also, it was my sons first experience of promotion, plus my Dad was there which made it all the more special.

Jimmy Grimble

16/17

As others have said, some iconic games that year.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
1971-2 for me too. A wonderful adventure with Pat Saward. And I was young.

2010-11 - the best football I've seen us play before this season

1978-9 - getting to the top division for the first time. What a day at Newcastle.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
78/79, a wonderful year, went to most games, home and away. On the Seagull Special train was a great experience to Newcastle, fell asleep for a while on way back and woke up at a station, were we home? No York, that was a damn long journey home. Remember the scenes at Brighton station when we finally got home at 1 ish, players and fans all drunk, happy days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
An honourable mention for 2001/02. To be one of a small amount of clubs who has won back to back titles, and with the situation we were in, was remarkable.

Can still remember the Reading and Bristol City games.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
1987/1988 was a fantastic season especially the run in.
Remember the Bank Holiday game at Chester were i think we threw away a 2 goal lead and drew 2-2 then finding out Notts County were unexpectedly losing at home on the way home leaving the Bristol Rovers home game as a win to guarantee promotion.
What an end to the season that was.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
76/77. Not the first promotion I witnessed, but the first one where I went to nearly every game home and away, so I felt especially invested in it. And of course there was Peter Ward and that great League Cup run. Also there was a real feeling that the club, after being an almost perennial fixture in the third tier, really was going places. The 78/79 promotion (my 2nd favourite), to my youthful mind almost had an air of inevitability about it.

Just my personal view of course. I cheerfully accept that there have been more important ones - promotion to the P/L being the stand-out example.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The Cullip, Zamora, Kuipers, Oatway, Hart, Carpenter etc team that got promoted twice was probably the set of players i've warmed to most. What an away day at Port Vale.

The Nelson, Bremner team was my first season, so that has a warm place in my heart as well.

But I've got to give it to the team that got us up to the Premier League. Incredible togetherness, outrageous results and performances and a visible desire to right an egregious wrong from the season before. A wonderful all round team, but Antony Knockheart the most deserving player of the season in the most exhilarating Albion team i've ever seen.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
10/11 (but only born in 83 so can’t comment on some). 16/17 we knew we were fecking brilliant for a couple seasons plus bottled it for the last 3 games. Both those reasons combine to drop it to second ahead of childhood and teenage bouncing up and down.

Walsall when we won it was such a good trip too and up there with most memorable. Plus the fun of “keeping up” with Southampton whilst being 10-12 points ahead of them.

boik

78/79 for me. Drove to Wrexham full of confidence after the previous season. Roadworks everywhere, boiling hot day. The most atrocious 0-0, my sister fainted in the heat so had to spend time with St John. Long trip back home through the roadworks. From there to the glorious road trip up to Newcastle. Up in the middle of the night. Epic journey, and as we got nearer Toon town it seemed that every car was trailing Blue and White - thousands of them everywhere. Great performance, great result. Fantastic end to a fantastic season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here