Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You are the Ref - Test your bizarre football knowledge here!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Point of order - denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity is not a red card offence, there's no such thing. I think the same applies to "deliberate handball"

Point of order on your point of order...

Sending-off offences

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:

serious foul play
violent conduct
spitting at an opponent or any other person
denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
receiving a second caution in the same match

Although in this case the handball wouldn't be denying the opposing team a goal, so maybe a yellow for unsporting behaviour

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Are the rules for a throw-in different for a goalkeeper then!?

Throw-in taken by the goalkeeper

If, after the ball is in play, the goalkeeper touches the ball again (except with his hands), before it has touched another player:
● an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team, to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred (see Law 13 - Position of free kick)

If, after the ball is in play, the goalkeeper deliberately handles the ball before it has touched another player:
● a direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if the infringement occurred outside the goalkeeper's penalty area, to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred (see Law 13 - Position of free kick)
● an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if the infringement occurred inside the goalkeeper's penalty area, to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred (see Law 13 - Position of free kick)

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Without looking at any other answers (I promise I haven't) if Stockdale didn't touch the ball (which I assume he doesn't) then it would classified as a foul throw, and the opposition would take control of the throw.

If he did touch the ball, then Dunk should be red carded for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity, and the opposition awarded a penalty.

Do I win a prize?

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
So the keeper injuring himself is a complete red-herring then basically. It would be a penalty regardless and either a yellow or red card to the defender depending on whether he was denying a 'goal scoring opportunity'.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
My 9 year old daughter got the correct answer but without the correct reasoning. Not a conundrum, but the following article about the fastest sending off in a football match after 2 seconds always makes me chuckle:-

Chippenham striker David Pratt was sent off just three seconds into a game against Bashley last month," says Jimmy Finn. "Does that qualify as the fastest sending off ever?"

Surprisingly it doesn't, Jimmy. Pratt was indeed reported (by this very website, among others) to have set a new record when he was dismissed for ploughing into Bashley's Chris Knowles after three seconds of Chippenham's 2-1 British Gas Business Premier defeat on December 27. We had all forgotten, however, about Cross Farm Park Celtic striker Lee Todd, who was sent off just two seconds into a game back in October 2000.

Where Pratt was sent off for a reckless challenge, Todd got his marching orders for foul language. Todd had his back to referee at the start of Cross Farm's Sunday league game against Taunton East Reach Wanderers, and was startled by the force with which the whistle was blown for kick-off. "**** me, that was loud," muttered Todd, and the referee promptly showed him the red card.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here