Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Writing a book - edting service?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Bit of a long shot but you never know

I've led a pretty interesting (colourful?) life and I've been encouraged to write about it. I wasn't interested but running into a health roadblock I decided to put pen to paper. I'm nearly done and it'll be around 80,000 words so a decent size. But I'm pretty sure it needs some improvement, not spellcheck or grammar but just looked at by a 'professional' who can maybe make some elements more interesting, change some emphasis, or simply present some aspects of it differently.

There's loads of people offering editing services but it looks like a bit of a lottery, so I wonder if any NSC'ers have ever used such services or know of someone that they can recommend. A good sense of humour is essential!

Cheers

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Eastbourne-based published author Umi Sinha might be worth a look. She has a website, is an excellent critique, I’ve done several creative writing workshops with her. You’re looking at a few hundred quid and rising depending on how much of the content you want any editor to look at. One bit of advice you probably already heard, put it away for several months, then go back and look at it yourself with fresh eyes.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I've led a pretty interesting (colourful?) life and I've been encouraged to write about it. I wasn't interested but running into a health roadblock I decided to put pen to paper. I'm nearly done and it'll be around 80,000 words so a decent size. But I'm pretty sure it needs some improvement, not spellcheck or grammar but just looked at by a 'professional' who can maybe make some elements more interesting, change some emphasis, or simply present some aspects of it differently.

There's loads of people offering editing services but it looks like a bit of a lottery, so I wonder if any NSC'ers have ever used such services or know of someone that they can recommend. A good sense of humour is essential!

Cheers
I've had 20+ years in the publishing game and edited everything from a 100-word news story to an 100,000-word thesis. Currently I spend half my time making other people's copy read properly and the other half my own ramblings!

The book editing process can be like opening a can of worms – and some people who charge by the hour will be looking to take advantage. Alternatively some are careful not to commit too much, in case the job ends up being much bigger than it is.

I'm more than happy to take it on, if you're interested. Drop me a PM and we can chat more.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Cheers
Any teasers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here