Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wrestling memories, (no american sh1t please!)

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
who remembers the classic wrestling bouts of the 70/80s?

saturday afternoon, with the likes of Mick (jet balck hair) Mc manus. beating Kendo nagasaki by 2 falls and 1 submission .

they dont make entertainment like that anymore!

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
"Easy!, easy, easy"!

"we shall not, we shall not be moved!"

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Kendo Nagasaki getting unmasked was a highlight, he went apeshit!

Grannies in the front row of seats egging them on had comedy value.

My particular memory is of a good guy / bad guy bout where the good guy had the bad guy in a locked position with his head on the ground, his legs behind his head and his arse sticking in the air. The good guy had his right hand in karate chop mode and was gesticulating to the audience whether he should chop between the bad guys buttocks.

For an 8 year old I found this extremely funny...

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
braders, no way was it poo man, used to fill my Saturday afternoons with happy memories when i was a wee lad and not allowed to go to football!!!
Bring back Saturday afternoon wrestling! :clap:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was normally predictable as hell. Good guy goes down by 1 submission 'cos he's been punched/kicked/bitten illegally but nearly always comes back after staggering around the ring bouncing of the ropes, struggling out of a boston crab and generally looking beaten. Lots of boos at the end for the bad guy, who threatens the crowd and gets attacked by some old bag with her handbag.

Best thing about it was the full time football scores immediately afterwards, which was the reason I turned the tv on in the first place!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
"Greetings, grapple fans, and welcome to Wolverhampton Town Hall for a six round tag-team wrestling bout between Big Daddy and Steve Puny versus Giant Haystacks and Dave Weed." - Kent Walton.

Big Daddy would then tummy-butt Giant Haytacks around (neither of their arms could physically reach each other - the fat bastards) before a 7 stone cream puff would fall on GH, and fart continuously into his face until the referee counted three.

There was a character in times not quite so enlightened as ours called - I kid you not - Gaylord Peacock

Used to have long blond hair and mince around the ring, while his opponent blew kisses at him. As a 6 year old, I just didn't know what to make of it.

Used to bore me senseless until 4.50pm when the results came in and Dickie Davies (the man with a streak of spunk through his hair) used to come and shout that Liverpool had won again. Me, I was delighted when I saw that Peter Ward had scored another hat-trick.

Suffice to say, my Nan went ballistic when the wrestling was on - shouting and screaming at the telly. And not a beefed up mullett in sight.

Last edited:

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
marching people round the ring in a half nelson!

pavilonare- i never saw kendo unmasked, i remember everytime the other wrestler had him on the floor,shouting to the crowd "shall i take his mask off?" he was just about to unmask him ,kendo would no a back flip and throw the guy off him!

haystacks and Daddy, was the ulitmate wrestle, how excited where you when you saw them on the bill?!

also the 4 man tag team was good.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Remember Catweazel ? the most unlikely looking wrestler of the lot surely. Rollerball Rocco was another one I remember.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
i was going to say catweazel. He was just the best. Run though their legs, sping them round and poke them in the eye. All the time looking like a cross between Robinson Cruesoe and Getafix.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Remember any of these?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Grapple Gallery:
'Crybaby' Jim Breaks * 'Judo' Al Hayes * Les Kellet * Mal 'King Kong' Kirk * Gomez Maximilliano * Jackie 'Mr TV' Pallo * Quasimodo * Mark 'Rollerball' Rocco * Bert Royal * Johnny Saint * Billy Two-Rivers * Kent Walton

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Ah, this was what Saturday afternoons were about when you weren't at the footie. Watching the ultimate performance art!! Apart from all the legends mentioned above (I remember Catweazle too, he was great fun), I also remember seeing King Ben winning a Battle Royal, Steve Grey being one of the most athletic wrestlers I've ever seen, watching Steven Regal before he went to the States, and being quite excited when programme came from Dorking Halls!!!

;)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Now those take me back Icy Gull

Tag teams, Jackie Pallo and Adrian Street - more camp than watford O in a san francisco madis gras

The Royle brothers - Bert Royal and another bloke who wasn't a Royle and wasn't his brother ?

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Jackie Pallo spoke to me at Hove town hall circa 1965.
Yelling at him from the side of the ring after he had again unfairly beaten the good guy.
"Watch your words Noddy"
I showed him.:)

Loved Johnny Qwango and his coconut head butt.
Hated Steve Logan, greasy haired bastard.

As a 7 year old, I can remember being dragged along to Hastings pier by my Grandparents who were 'fans' (? ) Can rememer Steve Logan yelling at my Gran.." sit down you old bag" or words to that effect. :D

As for Billy Two Rivers, didn't he come from Barnsley or Accrington or somewhere like that ? :lolol:

Kendo Nagasaki recently featured in a show about neighbours from Hell. He's in a dispute over a hedge boundary, or something Earth shattering like that.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
Pat 'Bomber' Roach!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Fit Finlay, he never used to lose, he was using the piledriver as a finishing move way before the Undertaker nade it famous as the 'tombstone piledriver'. Finlay had that mad looking female manager who always wore an Indian headress and interfered in matches. I hated Fit Finlay, he was a very good heel!!!!

:lol:

Jimmy Saville was a pro wrestler. As this out-take from Have I Got News For You demonstrates:-

During the headline round:

DEAYTON You used to be a wrestler didn't you?

SAVILLE I still am.

DEAYTON Are you?

SAVILLE I'm feared in every girls' school in the country.

(Audience laugh)

[DEAYTON Yeah, I've heard about that.

SAVILLE What have you heard?

DEAYTON I've...

MERTON Something about a **** with a rancid, pus-filled cock.

(Huge audience laugh; Awkward pause)

SAVILLE I advise you to wash your mouth out, my friend...

MERTON That's what she had to do!

(Audience laughs)

HISLOP Weren't you leaving money in phone boxes or something?

(Saville glares at him)

Or have I got completely the wrong end of the...

SAVILLE (To Deayton, heavily) The question you asked was about wrestling.

DEAYTON Yes. And then you mentioned girls' schools. I don't know whe...

SAVILLE Well I understood this was a comedy programme. I realise now how wrong I was.

(Audience laugh)

DEAYTON So were you a professional wrestler?

SAVILLE Yes I was.

DEAYTON (To audience) Glad we got that cleared up. (Pulls face; audience giggles)

HISLOP Feared by every girls' school in the country...

SAVILLE That's right.

MERTON Due to having a rancid, pus-filled cock.

(Huge audience laugh)

DEAYTON Erm...

HISLOP You're on top form tonight, Paul...

SAVILLE (Strangely) I'm...this is not what I...

FLOOR MANAGER (OOV) OK, do you...[inaudible section]...shall we, for pick-ups...

MERTON I'm terribly sorry. I don't know what came over me.

SAVILLE A pus-filled cock, I imagine.

(Shocked audience laugh)

MERTON Oh, it's nice to see you joining in. We'd been waiting for you, you sad, senile old shitter. (Audience appears to do double-take)

DEAYTON I think we...d-d-you you want to apologise to our guest, Paul?

MERTON Sorry, I do apologise. Sir senile old shitter, is what I meant to say.

(Audience laugh; pause)

Sir senile old shitter...who fucks minors.

(Audience unrest)

HISLOP Sorry, I'm just looking at our lawyer again. (Waves) Hello!

(Audience laughs)

DEAYTON Shall we get back on course with this, or sha...

SAVILLE I do f*** miners, that's quite correct. I have always done so. They can do the most wonderful things with cigars. The coal...

MERTON What, they stick them up your senile, pus-filled arse? (Audience laughs)

FLOOR MANAGER (OOV): Come on...I'm getting an ear-bashing here. It's...

MERTON Oh they want to continue. Sorry, I'll contain myself. Carry on...

DEAYTON Right (Pause) You used to be a professional wrestler didn't you? (Huge audience laugh)

SAVILLE (Calmly) I did.

DEAYTON You didn't have a nickname or anything?

SAVILLE Yes - 'Loser'. (Audience laughs)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here