Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would we adopt a decoy policy

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
With other clubs seemingly getting on the Brighton bandwagon, once they see when we are rumoured to be interested in a particular player, they also show interest

Recently Kudus and now Baleba, and knowing how shrewd TB is
could it be that some of our targets, could be different, and infact are red herrings?
Find it odd as we used to keep our plans to ourselves, often not even reaching the media

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
With other clubs seemingly getting on the Brighton bandwagon, once they see when we are rumoured to be interested in a particular player, they also show interest

Recently Kudus and now Baleba, and knowing how shrewd TB is
could it be that some of our targets, could be different, and infact are red herrings?
Find it odd as we used to keep our plans to ourselves, often not even reaching the media
On your highlighted point, it won't be us leaking our interest, we have no motivation to do so. It will be the agent of the player or the selling club.

It would make total sense though if we did leak selectively. Maybe bung Romano a few quid to say we're in for some donkey somewhere. Wait for Villa and West Ham to pile on

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We haven't signed anyone from S America for a while. Perhaps there will be a sudden influx in the coming days of unheard world class toddlers waiting to go.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Romano and his links with agents is the problem it seems. Not sure who is paying who. It's all a bit murky isn't it.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We haven't signed anyone from S America for a while. Perhaps there will be a sudden influx in the coming days of unheard world class toddlers waiting to go.
Worryingly I noticed that Chelsea made a few SA kid signings last season. That was probably our bloody list.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Would we adopt a decoy policy? Yes, absolutely we would. TB and PBOBE are only human and I'm sure they enjoy a bit of fun and banter. TB is also a poker player of course, so using a decoy would be a natural thing to do for him. A decoy could also be useful to attract all the media attention while we close a deal on our real target.

He would never admit it though. It could be seen as unprofessional and get him/the club into a spot of trouble.

As an aside, I do wonder about how the Caicedo auction unfolded. Chelsea wouldn't go above 80m for ages, and then we tickled another 35m out of them.
Extraordinary. In fact, it was almost unbelievable.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think we have definitely played games with Chelsea this season. I'm not 100% sure we were in for kudus and Adams.....but we led Chelsea up the garden path nicely.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I think we have definitely played games with Chelsea this season. I'm not 100% sure we were in for kudus and Adams.....but we led Chelsea up the garden path nicely.
Agreed.

But then my questions would be:

1. Are the games over? Why would he stop now?
2. Why would Bloom issue decoys to get Chelsea to spend their money on non-Brighton players? Why wouldn't he get them to buy Brighton players he wants out of the club? He's trousered c.£225 million from them so far. They are like an ATM.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
We were absolutely in for Kudus. Don't think I've seen a credible source to our reported interest in Adams - if there was interest, it was never backed up with action from the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here