Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup 2022 playoff

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This doesn't hold up to any scrutiny. Only 3 nations outside Europe have won the World Cup (and only 2 since 1950) so I don't see how it's that much different to the 16 team Euro 2004 that Greece won.

Yes and those two nations (since 1950) won it 7 out of 17 tournaments - or 41% of the World Cups. I'd say a 41% decrease in the chances to win a cup is a substantial difference.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes and those two nations (since 1950) won it 7 out of 17 tournaments - or 41% of the World Cups. I'd say a 41% decrease in the chances to win a cup is a substantial difference.
You seem to be struggling to understand the difference between South America winning 41% of World cups in that time, and the implication of them being present meaning a 41% reduction in other team's chances of winning one. It doesn't. When Brazil were good, it doesn't follow that Argentina always were, and vice versa. On the other hand, there are always, say, 6 powerful European teams permed from about 10. Germany, France, Italy, Spain, England, the Netherlands are nearly always powerful and when one or two of them are not, then the powerful six is made up of other Euro countries: Portugal, Belgium, Poland, Sweden, Hungary, Czech Republic, Croatia, Serbia, Austria, Turkey, Russia and Bulgaria have ALL made the semis.

So looking only at the winners simply ignores the strength in depth of Europe. Personally I'd say the modern day WC was probably harder to win than the modern Euro finals, but there isn't much in it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Halftime...Nigeria 1 - Ghana 1

It's not much better than the first leg tbh. Very low on quality and very scrappy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Poland vs Sweden. Much as I like the Swedes I am rooting for Moder's men to do the business. I'm interested to see how he plays in the LCM role in what is possibly the biggest match of his life.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
FFS! As if the game wasn't bad enough! Ghana go through on away goals. What a load of old bollox that is :angry:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Halftime...Nigeria 1 - Ghana 1

It's not much better than the first leg tbh. Very low on quality and very scrappy.

The Sengal vs Eygpt game is quite entertaining - the broadcast I've been watching is a bit flaky but that's what happens when you watch it in the middle of the Channel ! The French commentators are rather excitable though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Poles 1 up

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here