Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Womens World Cup

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Looking at latest scores in qualifying games makes it look a farce. Why dont they have pre qualifying rounds to get rid of very poor non competitive teams

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Provides some important money for smaller FAs in the world to develop their national football. Not every country is willing or able to develop their football with blood money.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Looking at latest scores in qualifying games makes it look a farce. Why dont they have pre qualifying rounds to get rid of very poor non competitive teams

There's much more of a gulf in women's international football qualification between the haves and have-nots than in the men's.

The women's game development is still light years behind the men's, and the investment in the game globally has yet to catch up.

But if you think it's not a level playing field now in the qualifiers, next summer's WWC is very likely to bring more of the same.

FIFA have expanded the number of countries by 50% from 16 to 24. Vietnam and the Philippines have qualified for the first time.

Seeing as the USA beat Thailand 13-0 last time, it's easy to imagine what's in store for next July.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Watch the highlights of Latvia vs Northern Ireland in Women's World Cup qualifying. Latvia 1 Northern Ireland 3. Latvia scored all the goals.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Jul 7, 2003
The mens game was the same - I remember seeing Turkey beaten 8-0 by England at Wembley and they were considered minnows - move forward a few years and they are qualifying for tournaments.

The womens game has taken great strides forward in recent years but still has a way to go - however, removing competition will not improve smaller teams. Otherwise you just end up with a closed shop of the richer countries.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The mens game was the same - I remember seeing Turkey beaten 8-0 by England at Wembley and they were considered minnows - move forward a few years and they are qualifying for tournaments.

The womens game has taken great strides forward in recent years but still has a way to go - however, removing competition will not improve smaller teams. Otherwise you just end up with a closed shop of the richer countries.

Disagree. No way 10/15-0 defeats does any good for teams progress.. Just look at the goal differences in the different leagues. 20/20 cricket world cup is coming up. For some time there has been qualification among smaller teams and the top 2 have gone through.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Disagree. No way 10/15-0 defeats does any good for teams progress.. Just look at the goal differences in the different leagues. 20/20 cricket world cup is coming up. For some time there has been qualification among smaller teams and the top 2 have gone through.

Totally disagree. A team is never going to improve if it plays a lot of other poor teams. Look at Iceland, wasn't allowed to enter WC qualifying until the 80s and got thrashed every time, but is now a team that's able to beat England. They wouldn't have done that if they were still limited to matches against the Faroes and Greenland.

And talking of the Faroe Islands, they're another team that has seen a big improvement over the last 30 years.

And as DCH pointed out, the women's game is way behind the men's - we're probably talking about 1920s or 1930s in terms of the gap between the big teams and the minnows. Things will get more even over time

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Provides some important money for smaller FAs in the world to develop their national football. Not every country is willing or able to develop their football with blood money.

Yup. Gives exposure of the game in smaller / poorer countries particularly when the Euro champions come to town.

I like Emma Hayes idea of having a Nations League kind of tournament when countries play according to their rankings. A country like Luxembourg with a tiny population, ranked 117 in the world, no domestic professional league, fielding four teenagers, are always going to get stuffed by the Euro champions and countries like Spain, Belgium, Germany and France. But then the Luxembourg mens side has been getting stuffed for as long as I can remember.

There is next to no investment in the womens game in Africa at all nor in the middle / far east except for Japan and South Korea.

FIFA has to put far more investment in developing and promoting the game across the world.

ETA Let's not forget that the FA banned women from playing football deeming it "unsuitable" in 1921. That ban lasted 50 years. Is it any wonder that the womens game has had a lot of catching up to do?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Interesting womens manager has just said needs re organising because these big defeats are no good for losing or winning teams

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Well done to Albion's Kayleigh Green who's Welsh side have made the play offs.

I know very little about the women's game but she trains out the back of my house and I see her now and again when I'm walking the dog. She is always happy to have a quick chat so I'm pleased for her. It's also made me pay a bit more attention to women's football albeit if only to look up their results.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here