Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Will writing. CAUTION - dull content

also consider a living power of attorney so someone can manage your affairs if your become ill say through dementia or go into a coma.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Jul 7, 2003
Be aware that the charity pays for the will (albeit usually at a discounted rate) in most of these schemes (in the hope they are left a legacy).

I think it depends on the setup. The one we did was specific to the local hospice and supported by local solicitors who gave up their fees in exchange for the charity donation of equivalent value - there was no expectation of a legacy.

Others may well be different so it is worth checking

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Be aware that the charity pays for the will (albeit usually at a discounted rate) in most of these schemes (in the hope they are left a legacy).

Yes, I looked into it and saw the same. Seems a reasonable way of doing things, as someone is more likely happy to leave a significantly larger sum in a legacy, than pay the cost of a Will upfront.

At least, they should, but I'm aware that it's unconditional.

I may well take this route in the near future - assuming we all have one.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think it depends on the setup. The one we did was specific to the local hospice and supported by local solicitors who gave up their fees in exchange for the charity donation of equivalent value - there was no expectation of a legacy.

Others may well be different so it is worth checking

Yep, there are quite a few variations (Farewill for example) but in most cases the charity still pays something………it’s an interesting concept, very long term investment for the charity in most cases, with no clue as to whether there is a legacy at all. Smaller charities are more likely to end up with what you did obviously (in partnership with a local solicitor). Charitable donations are also exempt from inheritance tax so can be useful from that perspective

Jul 7, 2003
One of my mates lost his life in a skiing accident when he was in 30's. He didn't have a partner or kids (he travelled a lot so had never settled down) and no will that anyone was aware of.

This gave his parents and sisters an extra layer of hassle which they didn't need during such a horrible time.

For anyone on here thinking that you don't need a will until you get older and have partner / kids, I would urge you to reconsider for the sake of any family you may leave behind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here