Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will Brighton shirts ever be on sale anywhere other than in Sussex?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20220814-173628_Photos.jpg

Not exactly kit, but I found this in an antique shop in Rickmansworth recently.
I guess we're sort of expanding in Hertfordshire :lol:

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
There used to be a shop on Carnaby Street in London that stocked them, although I’m going back a while - not sure it is still there. I’m sure it was called ‘Soccer Zone’ or something similar.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

They sell 'em in China and will ship them over all for £17

I quite fancy the new home kit with 24 PROPPER on the back...They do that for nothing too

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Must admit, if I go in to a sports shop, souvenir shop or any appropriate outlet home or abroad that sells football stuff but not Brighton merch., I often make a point of asking if they have any Brighton shirts, mugs or whatever they sell. When they say no, I can then say that's a shame and walk out without buying anything.

I'm sure the individual you ask behind the till or on the shop floor would be deeply saddened and ashamed by this act :wink:

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I saw a Japanese fan tweet his order for a shirt, with delivery address as Kanagawa so yeah online sales is the way for international fans.

White Fan man

Oct 25, 2020
Think it is important that you sell as many shirts as you can. The initial shirt sponsor deal is based on how many shirts you shift. The more you shift the better the deal. I know Leeds deal with Adidas is worth 10m per year (5 year deal) and they get an additional 7% from each sale. The big clubs have cracked the international market so their deals are massive. Barcelona's deal with Nike was worth 140m a season from 2018. Like some posters have said any shirt worn abroad is free publicity for that club.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
There used to be a shop on Carnaby Street in London that stocked them, although I’m going back a while - not sure it is still there. I’m sure it was called ‘Soccer Zone’ or something similar.

Soccer Scene, used to sell everything. In the late 80s I bought the red ‘London Docklands’ Millwall away shirt in there, then wore it down The Martha Gunn that night and nearly got my head kicked in. God knows why, I’ve never liked Millwall

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Shirt sales are such a small part of the economy of a football club like Brighton in 2022. If they cost £55, the club will (if they have the standard Nike agreement which is likely) earn a little more than £4 per shirt. Sell 100 000 shirts, get £400 000... and I imagine the global demand for Brighton shirts is quite low, might be some in Japan but most are going to buy a Japan-kit with Mitoma rather than a Brighton one, and if they go for a Brighton kit they might buy a cheap, Chinese fake one.

I don't think Brighton could sell more than 200 000 shirts if it was available globally and the whole logistics of the thing would probably eat a lot of that £800k profit. Can't see the club pushing for it, I'm guessing it is more of a Nike decision where and when the kit is available.

I would really hope that Brighton are not dumb enough to fall for £4 per shirt. A T-shirt retailer would make £6-9 on a £30 branded shirt. Just using a thought that Albion sell between 5 and 10,000 shirts per year, that is a figure way in excess of niche brands in other sports sectors would sell in the UK.

Nike may be able to sweeten the deal by offering some kind of sponsorship (unlikely), or by giving a stunning price on their non Albion related, generic soccer/fashion wear. Either way, do you have any figures you can share from EPL teams business deals with kit manufacturers?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It’s a bit like Burnley dropping out of the PL, they just resume ‘non-entity’ identification in the eyes of the wider football public, rather than being ‘recent Premier League for many consecutive seasons team Burnley’ and it’s all gone overnight. Only a handful of teams have a wider viable marketing commercial identity regardless of league status.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I would really hope that Brighton are not dumb enough to fall for £4 per shirt. A T-shirt retailer would make £6-9 on a £30 branded shirt. Just using a thought that Albion sell between 5 and 10,000 shirts per year, that is a figure way in excess of niche brands in other sports sectors would sell in the UK.

Nike may be able to sweeten the deal by offering some kind of sponsorship (unlikely), or by giving a stunning price on their non Albion related, generic soccer/fashion wear. Either way, do you have any figures you can share from EPL teams business deals with kit manufacturers?

Even with a £15 or so profit from every shirt sale it would be difficult to reach the £2-3m a year that Nike are most likely paying Brighton.

I don't know if I've seen a list or something of shirt deals, but I know that the standard deal that Nike gives elite teams is that the clubs get 7.5% from the shirt sales. Exceptions are made with big clubs where there's greater competition for the sponsorship - a big club like United or Liverpool could get 20% or so.

As for the sponsorship deal it is more difficult to estimate but any lower than £2m per season and any more than £5m seems unlikely based on disclosed/leaked numbers from similar-sized teams in similar-sized leagues.

Maybe [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] got some clever things to say on the subject.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Even with a £15 or so profit from every shirt sale it would be difficult to reach the £2-3m a year that Nike are most likely paying Brighton.

I don't know if I've seen a list or something of shirt deals, but I know that the standard deal that Nike gives elite teams is that the clubs get 7.5% from the shirt sales. Exceptions are made with big clubs where there's greater competition for the sponsorship - a big club like United or Liverpool could get 20% or so.

As for the sponsorship deal it is more difficult to estimate but any lower than £2m per season and any more than £5m seems unlikely based on disclosed/leaked numbers from similar-sized teams in similar-sized leagues.

Maybe [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] got some clever things to say on the subject.

Clubs get a fixed retainer per season, based on expected number of unit sales, plus a commission. So you are right that adidas (not Nike) give Manchester United a guaranteed £75m a season plus 7% per unit. However, should the Cayman Island registered, New York traded and Florida controlled club fail to qualify for the Champions League for two consecutive seasons then there's a 25% reduction.

Liverpool have gone for a £30m retainer from Nike but are on a 20% commission. For them to make more money than Manchester United there would have to be gross merchandise revenues of £350 million a year. If we assume an average (net of VAT price) of a shirt of £50 (taking into account junior sizes) then Liverpool need to sell 7 million shirts a year to outperform Manchester United.

LFC v MUFC Merch Income.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here