Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] WiFi in my garden office

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
80CF5614-7843-4B11-BAE0-ECCE98A7D25C.jpeg

TP-Link N300 Wireless Ceiling Mount Access Point, Support Passive PoE and Direct Current, Easily Mount to Wall or Ceiling, Simply Managed by Free EAP Controller Software (EAP110)

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Get a router like this:

Deal of the day: TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Full Gigabit Wi-Fi Router, Wi-Fi Speed Up to 867 Mbps/5 GHz + 300 Mbps/2.4 GHz, 4+1 Gigabit Ports, Dual-Core CPU, Parental Control, Easy setup (Archer C6 V3.2) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L5YRYF4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dl_HZTGBN6MGKRVDX5XYNN1

And connect it to the Ethernet port in your office. That creates a separate little wifi network for that space.

Thanks. That sounds like the solution to me. I will give that a go.

Cheers all for your advice.

Re the Ethernet converter - Sadly I don’t have a spare usb slot so would need wireless. I guess the kids might like to sleep out there now and again so probably helpful if their phones work etc.

I popped into curry’s yesterday and the bloke there made it clear that buying something in the store would be a waste of time as it was all the wrong stuff.

The office is being decorated tomorrow so I will move my stuff in and try to set up WiFi tomorrow night. I will let you know how it goes (although I doubt many care). This website is great for advice about this sort of thing. Pretty much everyone one here is an expert on something. Mine is incredibly niche given my job in research but always here if anyone wants knowledge of cricketers from the 1990s.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Hi all

I have tried standard internet research but I am now even more confused so I am hoping NSC can come up trumps again.

My garden office is almost done and now I need to sort out internet. The electrician who put the cable in the ground down the garden also included an armoured Ethernet cable (I forget the proper name) and I have face plates at each end. Obviously one of these I will link it to my router with an Ethernet cable, but what should I do in the garden office at the other end?

Basically I am after the cheapest and easiest option to connect to the wifi. I spoke to a bloke at curry’s who said I need a wireless access point which connects to the wall and then provides the signal. This is where I get a bit confused. I have sky broadband and it looks like some of the wireless access points might not work with sky but I have no idea which is which.

Does anyone on here have advice about which to buy that a moron like me can plug in and make work ie plug it in to the wall and have wifi in the office? I just need to be able to make video calls and then general computer access.

If people have experience of such products and could provide a link to the sort of thing I need then that would be great.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

If you ask Sky nicely they'll give you a wireless access point for free. Did for me when I setup my home office. Just needs power and ethernet.

IMG_0698.jpg

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Lots of good advice here but my starting point would be: what do you need?

Critically, do you need strong WiFi in the garden office for other devices, not just the Laptop?

Probably yes, so the easiest solution is to create a WAP - Wireless Access Point.
If you have an old broadband router [from before you had Virgin] this will give you all you need.
Config and setup advice in abundance on WWW to do this.

I have a WAP in my house [upstairs] and looked deeply into this to get the best coverage / performance.
Downloading something like "Netspot" to you mobile will help you configure WiFi - be mindful of neighbours WiFi signal conflicting with your own [change WiFi 2.8GHz channel to avert this] to avoid performance degradation

kjgood

If you need wifi maybe get a Tenda mesh setup (loads on Amazon). Plug your Ethernet cable into your router one end, and then the link other end to a cable into the mesh box in your garden office. Signal will be almost as strong as from the router directly.

I have a mesh system throughout the house and in my garden office some way away from the house. There I run PC's and stream music and TV no problem. So I vote for the installation of a mesh extender system.

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
Avoid Currys, they are box-shifters and idiots.

I have extended internet to my workshop using a cable and old router.

What you need to do is get an old router, turn off DHCP and the firewall and set the wireless network name/password to the same as the main router. Depending on the router you may need to plug the cable into the WAN port.

Regarding wireless extenders, your sparks should have used a separate breaker to feed the office and wireless extenders don't work well between different circuits.

This ^^^^

I ran CAT6 to my Garden office when it was built so I had a nice fast connection for work, ran that into a 4 way splitter so I could ethernet the TV, work computer, *cough* non work computer and plug in a cheap wireless cable router for wireless devices. This creates a different wifi connection to the main house but they are far enough apart that the phone switches between them easily enough.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We have point to point lazer death rays. Mrs Zef did it, I haven't got a danny laRue, but it works.

Note to self, check for secret world domination den under my workshop

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Get a mesh network extender, problem solved 100%.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Cheers for all the advice. I got a TP link wireless access point and the WiFi have been perfect down the garden. Sorry I never said thanks, my password reset was playing silly buggers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cheers for all the advice. I got a TP link wireless access point and the WiFi have been perfect down the garden. Sorry I never said thanks, my password reset was playing silly buggers.

An incredibly rare post.

This place is filled with 'help' threads, but always short on denuomonts.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
An incredibly rare post.

This place is filled with 'help' threads, but always short on denuomonts.

I just want to say a big thank you. Trying to pronounce the last word in your post while I read it was doing my head in. I thought of starting a 'help' thread, but the final denouement was I googled it to check. I'll look out for these denuomonts though, we obviously need more. Thanks again.:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here