Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Why do tourists love pigeons?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
In particular feeding them?

I'm in my local park where obviously there's plenty of pigeons. Every 100 yards or so there's a swarm of them around a group of tourists who all seem to be having the time of their lives feeding them.

Why?

Wherever you go where there are pigeons you'll find people feeding them. And nearly always its tourists.

Don't they have pigeons in their countries? Why don't locals ever feed the pigeons? If locals don't feed their local pigeons do they suddenly feed foreign ones when they're on holiday?

What's the tourist obsession with feeding bloody pigeons?

Apologies by the way for this not being a rdz related thread.

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Coo....l.

I can't think of the tune to feed the birds so I'm humming the tune to feed the world instead and substituting birds for world.
Yeah sure, it's basically the same song.

I do have an actual relevant (and actually true rather than totally made up) anecdote about this.

When I went to Athens many years ago this old guy came up to me on this big square and gestured for me to hold my hands together. He then poured some bird seed into them and a load of pigeons came down to eat out of my hands.

It was only at this point that I realised he wanted me to pay him for a photo of this nonsense, to which I said no. He then continued pouring seed into my hand so that more pigeons kept coming, like that bit in Exodus when God keeps sending loads of frogs to the Pharoah to piss him off. He seemed quite angry.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
RDZ actually touched on this very subject in his farewell speech on sunday when he said 'I love the city of Brighton. Especially I love to feed the pigeons'. What a man! :bowdown:

hqdefault.jpg

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
My daughter, as a 6 year old, upset some elderly Polish women in Krakow by deciding that as the pigeons there were so tame she'd pick one up (she was used to handling chickens and other animals at this age, so it's perhaps not as bizarre as that might sound). Turns out pigeons there are seen as almost sacred by some Krakow folk and have legends about them. Perhaps some other countries have a similar affection for them, and the fact they are so populous here makes them more interesting than they might be otherwise.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
In particular feeding them?

I'm in my local park where obviously there's plenty of pigeons. Every 100 yards or so there's a swarm of them around a group of tourists who all seem to be having the time of their lives feeding them.

Why?

Wherever you go where there are pigeons you'll find people feeding them. And nearly always its tourists.

Don't they have pigeons in their countries? Why don't locals ever feed the pigeons? If locals don't feed their local pigeons do they suddenly feed foreign ones when they're on holiday?

What's the tourist obsession with feeding bloody pigeons?

Apologies by the way for this not being a rdz related thread.
And why are they always so fat?

(The tourists, not the pigeons)

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
RDZ actually touched on this very subject in his farewell speech on sunday when he said 'I love the city of Brighton. Especially I love to feed the pigeons'. What a man! :bowdown:

It's likely those pigeons have gone the same way as RDZ.

A case of killing two birds with one Tone.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Coo....l.

I can't think of the tune to feed the birds so I'm humming the tune to feed the world instead and substituting birds for world.
Feed the birds
Tuppence a bag
Tuppence, tuppence
Tuppence a bag.

One of the finest moments in British cinema history. Gets me every time

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I think a lot of non-English speakers are told it’ll help their trip if they learn a bit of pidgin English…

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Feeding the birds gives a townie a sense of communicating with nature, it makes people feel good . I have spent many happy times , with my wife , feeding birds be they swans,ducks seagulls or pigeons. Of course it is led by her obviously… is it a female nurturing thing ? Maybe.
It is not just on holiday.. we have done it wherever….

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Flying rats. Vermin. And stupider than a Reform voter.

But enough about Palace fans on Ryanair.......

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Feeding the birds gives a townie a sense of communicating with nature, it makes people feel good . I have spent many happy times , with my wife , feeding birds be they swans,ducks seagulls or pigeons. Of course it is led by her obviously… is it a female nurturing thing ? Maybe.
It is not just on holiday.. we have done it wherever….
Me and my missus used to do it wherever, now tends to be just on holiday. Never feed birds though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Plenty of places where it's illegal to feed the pigeons now. Trafalgar Square and London railway termini for example.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I've heard rdz LOVES pigeons.

His favourite song is Feed the Birds from Mary Poppins.

FACT.
I've heard that all the pigeons in the vicinity of RDZ's apartment block are INJURED and he's made it very clear to Brighton & Hove City Council that he expects some BETTER ones :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here