Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why are England so shite....???

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's a young side with an experienced defence. That's what's annoying. School boy errors at the back for me.

I meant not experienced at international level. They were missing Ashley Cole and, I hate to say it, John Terry. They needed a couple of old heads to organise them and help them keep their shape.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I meant not experienced at international level. They were missing Ashley Cole and, I hate to say it, John Terry. They needed a couple of old heads to organise them and help them keep their shape.

Cole and Terry were and are better defenders than Jagielka, Cahill and Baines. Absolutely NOT just based on last night, just a long term view. The obsession with Baines because he's allegedly amazing at attacking and can whip brilliant left footed crosses in all day long, to me, is negated because against decent international opposition he's not particularly good at that, but far more importantly his number one job is to defend ... and Cole is far better than that. If we have been knocked out, that will save Baines from further embarrassment in facing more classy right wingers and overlapping fullbacks.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
At the risk of sounding like a biological determinist, the simple fact is that the Anglo-Saxons never have had, and never will have, flair. We should practice English virtues – power, strength, athleticism, discipline and organisation – and not attempt to play the game like the Italians and the Brazilians. We had plenty of success when we were true to ourselves and were not trying to be something we are not.

Johan Cruyff once remarked that the Anglo-Saxon game is very dangerous. Foreigners used to fear our game and what Sandra Mazzola called the “English roar”. We have long since ceased to practice English virtues in our game, but the English game is the only one that we can ever play.

Diego Maradona once said that the English and the Germans run too much and think too little. Arguably, the Germans have been more successful than England because their game combines English power and Continental technique. However, we were a match for the Germans when we played the game our way, before we tried to play the pass-and-move game, a style which demands a level of skill and technique that our players have never had and never will have.

There are three lions on the England shirt for a reason.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Because in this country people are used to making excuses for everything.

Not me guv'nor.....

1) 1970....Banks fell ill and Ramsey took off Charlton when we were 2 up.
2) 1974....Didn't qualify.....thank God.
3) 1978....Didn't qualify.....thank God
4) 1982....Keegan and Brooking got injured.
5) 1986....Hand of God. Cheating Argie.
6) 1990....Pearce and Waddle.
7) 1994....Didn't qualify.....thank God.
8) 1998....Sol's disallowed goal...outrageous.
9) 2002....Seaman off his line.
10)2006.....Penalties again!
11)2010.....Capello....clueless.

Thats at least four World Cups gone begging as a direct result of incredible bad luck.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I've got a theory that our players are inherently lazy. Some of them are blessed with natural ability but don't work hard enough to improve their game. They reach a certain level and thats where they stay. Content and comfortable in their lifestyles when very young, is there less hunger in their bellies?
There are two prime examples of players who offset their lack of true talent by constantly working and striving to improve. Kevin Keegan and David Beckham. Never have two players made more of their careers through sheer hard graft.
Young English players get carried through PL games by established world stars and therein lies the problem. They do not take enough responsibility themselves. It doesn't matter if they mis-control the ball. There is someone to help them out. When they are on the biggest stage, there is no-one to help them and the misplaced passes come regular as clockwork.
It is incredibly frustrating ( and worrying ) to watch these highly paid individuals failing to carry out the basics. It beggars the question as to what goes on on the training ground.
England aren't shite. We just don't work hard enough to improve. The mindset and structure of the game needs to change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here