Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is left in the first team squad?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We are 6 (six) players down. Sami has gone on record saying just that. He is spot on. It is idiotic to assume we can compete without plugging the obvious gaps in our team and squad. The complacency of some on here amazes me.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Will the Hypia/Burke signings be Poyet/Burke standard or Garcia/Burke standard do you mean?

Neither. It's been going on long before David Burke was born.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Argus is reporting that Toko is going to be the midfield enforcer in front of the back four , will Ince be tried out as a centre back alongside Dunk in a 4-1-4-1 ?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Do people really believe anything other than the development squad will play

Last years team

Walton (G. Smith 46), Barry, Hunt, Asmundsson (Collar 88), Lall (Harris 58), Rea, Deen (Rowe-Hurst 64), Benham (Horncastle 58), Agdestein, Starkey, Muitt (Davis 73).

Unused Sub: Wiltshire.

That was a Development Team friendly though. When we played a first team friendly the year before we played a pretty much full strength team

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
The Argus is reporting that Toko is going to be the midfield enforcer in front of the back four , will Ince be tried out as a centre back alongside Dunk in a 4-1-4-1 ?

Really hope not. Would much prefer to see Ince tried out as the midfield marauder though accept he needs to work on his stamina. That'll come though.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Based on the comments on the Lewes ticket site I think there will be quite some disappointment if first team players are not playing;

"The Dripping pan will be rocking for this all-ticket Friendly - absolutely no ticket sales on the gate.

Both sides are fielding their First Teams and for Brighton fans it's the chance to welcome the new Manager."

That was a Development Team friendly though. When we played a first team friendly the year before we played a pretty much full strength team

Ah I didn't realise last year was billed as a DS match

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Really hope not. Would much prefer to see Ince tried out as the midfield marauder though accept he needs to work on his stamina. That'll come though.

A new centre back signing would be nice to provide competition in defence and allow Ince to develop into a utility player (4-2-3-1 option)

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
<GK1>
Ankergren
Walton

Bruno
Calderon
<LB1>
Chicksen

<CD1>
Greer
Dunk
Maksimenko

Crofts
Stephens
Ince
Toko
JFC
Agdestien

Buckley
Lua Lua
March
<ATM4>

Ulloa
CMS
<ST3>
<ST4> or Goodwin

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
You are talking about days when badly injured players limped up an down the wing to keep the numbers balanced or goal keepers carried on playing in cup finals with a broken neck. Not like the highly toned athletes of today, when they disappear down the tunnel at the slightest twinge in the hamstring. We have got enough players for the old days but not enough of the new breed, the injury prone highly paid flowers of todays game.

Quite, though I can only recall one cracked vertebra goalkeeper (Bert Trauttman). Come on the ten men meant someone was crocked - properly crocked - not got a tight hammie, or a deadleg, or PMT. Nowadays, it seems, as long as a player has a good goal celebration dance, all is good. And one suspects that as much time is put into this as training. It's trash, pure and simple.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
this is brighton, stand by to be blown away....................................or not, by some new signings.

it will be "or not" mate

Mousse

Jun 7, 2014
4-3-2-1 means there are no wingers, but instead there are extremely attack-minded sidebacks. I'm not familiar with the current Brighton squad, so I don't know what's the situation regarding sidedefenders. Do you have good attacking defenders on both sides? They are vital to make the "christmas tree" light up.

The second lowest branch of the tree usually consists of a playmaker in the middle and a tough guy on each side of him. The second highest branch has two quick players capable of making runs in behind the defensive line and helping the sidedefenders when they join the attack.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
4-3-2-1 means there are no wingers, but instead there are extremely attack-minded sidebacks. I'm not familiar with the current Brighton squad, so I don't know what's the situation regarding sidedefenders. Do you have good attacking defenders on both sides? They are vital to make the "christmas tree" light up.

The second lowest branch of the tree usually consists of a playmaker in the middle and a tough guy on each side of him. The second highest branch has two quick players capable of making runs in behind the defensive line and helping the sidedefenders when they join the attack.
Hmm, as it stands I'd guess the following would best fit that formation as you describe it.

Whoever

Bruno -------- Greer -- Dunk -------- Chicksen

00 Toko -- Stephens -- Ince/Crofts 00

March ---- LuaLua

Ulloa​

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'm not expecting many new faces to come in and those that do will likely be free transfers, loans, or gambles from a league none of us are familiar with. I have a feeling behind the scenes money is pretty scarce with the club's aim to comply with FFP.

Barber was quoted as saying last month that 10 or 11 clubs in the Championship have parachute payments this season, and even though our revenue from our large crowds sounds great and brings in more revenue on a match day than most, apparently over a whole season it comes nowhere near that of a one year parachute payment. The £8m debt from the second season should hopefully at least be halved with the sales of Barnes, El-Abd, and Bridcutt in January but don't expect much of that revenue to go back into the playing side. I'm not trying to be a doom merchant but I think people have to start living in the real world. I'd rather see Chicksen at left back than see the club blow wages of £10k a week on Ward who was a solid but unspectacular player.

I think gone are the days of paying £1m plus for players for The Albion for the next couple of years and I reckon with the new academy starting the emphasis over this season and next will be to develop our own players ever more. Interesting to hear about Ince being now considered for a centre half berth with Toko playing the defensive cover role, which might now save us from wasting money on another centre half.

Dec 29, 2011

Ince running past defenders with the ball at his feet is a great sight. He was awesome against Bournemouth (a), hope he carries that into the new season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here