Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which match at The Goldstone?

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Can you remember that evening at all, apart from that?

I was small and at the front of the mass packed Chicken Run. When their star winger Peter Taylor came to get the ball for throw ins, boy he was abused. I loved that so much. Bad kid.

I was just thinking what else I could remember,but very little,even the smoke bombs
I was only 12 myself,I can't even remember if my Father was with me or my 2 older brothers
but I remember Sammy Morgan :lol:

I certainly wasn't aware of the rivalry,it was just a big game in itself in terms of league positions
obviously the following season with the cup games I was

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It was the Goldstone evening matches and evening England matches at Wembley (school trips ... a convoy of coaches), from 1976, that got me hooked most of all. In those days, stadia seemed magical for a kid, lit up from miles away from giant floodlight pylons at club grounds. I used to literally dream in my sleep of those Wembley matches, 92,000 (the night time capacity) chanting “England”.

The addiction was aided by seeing mainly winning football under Taylor then Mullery, I got lucky.

Might’ve been an entirely different story if my first matches had been under Clough or Hyppia!

I did go to Wembley with my school on a coach, I was about 14 years old, great time :lolol:
Teachers said we all had to wear school uniform, the coach had got as far as the end of the road and most of us had got changed into other clothes :lolol: teachers at the front of the coach turned round to look at us about half an hour later, shook their heads and laughed.
Approaching Wembley was funny seeing all the other school coaches, everyone up giving abuse to each other, and threats of fights when we got there, nothing happened. :rolleyes:

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
barely 2 and a half seasons later,who's playing for Cambridge when they beat us 2-0 in our promotion season

no idea if he scored?

20200516_171754_resized (1).jpg

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
We also played Charlton on 13th April 1979 - think it was Good Friday and nearly 31,000 were there (including me) Clark scored our first in a vital 2-0 win. Seem to remember the second was an og.

but,can you name the 2 future Brighton managers that played for Charlton that day?

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Wow I love that picture!!! I wasn’t there that day but....Nothing comes close to the old Goldstone Ground days when it was packed and atmosphere was amazing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here