Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] What’s happened to the Edit fuction?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm sure it used to be the case that it was 15 minutes.

But yes, I noticed a while back that suddenly the Editing time was unlimited - was definitely there as a feature. Found it useful a few times and never with malevolent intent (I'm fairly sure...)

I only realised that it wasn't in place anymore yesterday as I had planned on using my OP in the Albion 100 Club thread to keep track, but after 15 minutes no longer could.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
In confirmation, I've just noticed that the thread was started on 30th. July 2022 and the OP was last updated on 9th. June 2023. Can I submit this to the Guinness Book of Records for the longest 30 minutes ever?
You might be able to claim that honour but I first started editing the team sheet into the *** Official Match Thread *** on October the 16th, 2021 at the request of @Tom Hark Preston Park.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Norwich v Albion

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: Carrow Road
Date: Saturday 16th October 2021
Kick-off: 15:00 BST
Referee: Peter Bankes
Assistants: Neil Davies, James Mainwaring
Fourth Official: Tim Robinson
VAR: Graham Scott
Additional VAR: Adrian Holmes

TEAM NEWS

Norwich City will assess the condition of Mathias Normann, Christoph Zimmermann and Todd Cantwell, who all have fitness concerns.

Sam Byram continues to train following a thigh injury but remains unavailable.

Brighton & Hove Albion trio Yves Bissouma, Adam Webster and Enock Mwepu have all returned to training following injury.

Danny Welbeck and Steven Alzate are sidelined after undergoing surgery on respective hamstring and ankle issues.

Tariq Lamptey could make his first Premier League appearance in 10 months after recovering from a series of hamstring injuries.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton's top-flight win at Norwich in 2019-20 followed a run of one victory in 17 league away meetings.
    [*=left]Albion could triumph in back-to-back league games at Carrow Road for the first time since October 1926 in the Third Division South.
Norwich

• [*=left]Norwich's goalless draw against Burnley last time out ended a 16-game losing streak in the Premier League. They remain the only side yet to lead in the top flight this season.
    [*=left]Daniel Farke's side are winless in 17 Premier League matches, with an aggregate score of 40-3 against.
    [*=left]The Canaries could fail to win any of their opening eight league fixtures for just the second time in 84 seasons. In the 2004-05 Premier League, Norwich didn't win in their opening 13 games and were relegated.
    [*=left]They have lost 44 of their past 45 Premier League matches when conceding the opening goal, including the last 31.
    [*=left]Norwich have the fewest goals (2), different goalscorers (1), shots on target (17) and lowest shot conversion rate (2.8%) in the Premier League this season. They have also conceded a joint-high 16 goals.
    [*=left]Forward Teemu Pukki is the only player to score a Premier League goal for Norwich this season.
Albion

• [*=left]Brighton have 14 points after seven Premier League matches. Last season, the Seagulls did not surpass 14 points until their 19th game.
    [*=left]The Seagulls could set a club record of remaining unbeaten in their opening four top-flight away fixtures.
    [*=left]In 2021, only Manchester City and Chelsea have kept more Premier League clean sheets than Brighton's 12.
    [*=left]Neal Maupay has scored four of Brighton's eight Premier League goals this campaign, but he has failed to net in all six career league appearances against Norwich.
    [*=left]Leandro Trossard has scored two and assisted one of Brighton's three Premier League goals against Norwich.
    [*=left]Shane Duffy has had 12 attempts at goal from corner situations in the Premier League this season, four more than any other player. The centre back has also recorded a team-high 13 shots inside the penalty area.

Graham Potter's Norwich Press Conference

[tweet]1449359480697901064[/tweet]

Also, what's with the weird stormtrooper placeholder images where the team badges used to be?

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I noticed this the other day, when I went to correct a typo. The button wasn't there. I was thankful that I'd only written a short message with one typo! :lolol:
When I commented on a thread last night, I typed very carefully. I only edit to add in something else I've thought of, or correct typo's and/or grammar. I'll let you know in a min if it's still not there. I'm on a pc.
Edit to add, it's back now for me. (y)
Edit 2, to add that there hasn't been a 30 min time limit before. I've had to edit posts to 'deleted' the next day. Not because I'd offended someone or been nasty but it was an ongoing police matter & then it was best to delete the posts when it had been resolved, to save confusion.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Sorry Bozza, but it definitely has changed. Having started the Loanee Tracker threads, I've been able to update the OP all through the season so that people can see all the loanees on page 1 without having to go through the whole thread for the latest position. Now I can't. Audax has had a similar experience with his formula 1 thread, and Dick Head is no longer able to append the team sheet to his matchday OPs.
Looking at your screenshot, please can you just flip that tick for editing own posts (not all posts!) over to 'unlimited'?
I seem to remember something being changed on the old board software to give the person who created a thread the ability to edit the first post at any point so threads like the loanee tracker could have the current state of play in one place.

Not sure if that could be reintroduced as it’s a useful feature for those kind of threads.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You might be able to claim that honour but I first started editing the team sheet into the *** Official Match Thread *** on October the 16th, 2021 at the request of @Tom Hark Preston Park.

Also, what's with the weird stormtrooper placeholder images where the team badges used to be?
Not really going into this for honour - just providing conclusive evidence that the unlimited time for editing was demonstrably in place for a long time, and not just for a brief blip either.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I seem to remember something being changed on the old board software to give the person who created a thread the ability to edit the first post at any point so threads like the loanee tracker could have the current state of play in one place.

Not sure if that could be reintroduced as it’s a useful feature for those kind of threads.
The facility was not limited to the OP - I have regularly corrected typos which have come to light when I look at posts which have had a reply or a like overnight - or posts far older than that which have belatedly had a response.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry Bozza, but it definitely has changed. Having started the Loanee Tracker threads, I've been able to update the OP all through the season so that people can see all the loanees on page 1 without having to go through the whole thread for the latest position. Now I can't. Audax has had a similar experience with his formula 1 thread, and Dick Head is no longer able to append the team sheet to his matchday OPs.
Looking at your screenshot, please can you just flip that tick for editing own posts (not all posts!) over to 'unlimited'?

I'm not doubting it has changed - as per my last post you quoted "I've certainly not wittingly changed it" - the word in bold is key.

On the previous platform post editing was allowed within either 15 or 30 minutes. It certainly wasn't unlimited. And that was supposed to be the case here too.

Xenforo’s permissioning system is powerful and flexible, but that makes it quite complex, particularly when users are in multiple user groups as to which setting can override others.

So the main user group for users has a 30-minute limit for editing posts, but it seems that was being overridden by another setting.

I’ve done two rounds of user group modifications recently - one to provide increased protection from malicious new users, and the other for the new site supporters.

Ao my best guess is that at some point during those modifications, it seems that whatever was overriding the 30-minute limit was removed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not doubting it has changed - as per my last post you quoted "I've certainly not wittingly changed it" - the word in bold is key.

On the previous platform post editing was allowed within either 15 or 30 minutes. It certainly wasn't unlimited. And that was supposed to be the case here too.

Xenforo’s permissioning system is powerful and flexible, but that makes it quite complex, particularly when users are in multiple user groups as to which setting can override others.

So the main user group for users has a 30-minute limit for editing posts, but it seems that was being overridden by another setting.

I’ve done two rounds of user group modifications recently - one to provide increased protection from malicious new users, and the other for the new site supporters.

Ao my best guess is that at some point during those modifications, it seems that whatever was overriding the 30-minute limit was removed.
Thanks for the detailed reply (even the bits I don't quite understand!) - and I did recognise the significance of 'wittingly' in your post. My main point was that it had changed, not an accusation that you might have changed it.
I see from your screen shot that there is a tick box for 'unlimited' next to the box for setting a time limit - again I ask, is it possible to move that tick from one box or the other? - the site seems to have been working very nicely with no time limits for a couple of years or more!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What is a fuction ? Im not reading through it all.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks for the detailed reply (even the bits I don't quite understand!) - and I did recognise the significance of 'wittingly' in your post. My main point was that it had changed, not an accusation that you might have changed it.
I see from your screen shot that there is a tick box for 'unlimited' next to the box for setting a time limit - again I ask, is it possible to move that tick from one box or the other? - the site seems to have been working very nicely with no time limits for a couple of years or more!
Not a couple of years - only since we migrated to Xenforo, which was October 2022.

Anyway, it's been changed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not a couple of years - only since we migrated to Xenforo, which was October 2022.
I bow to your superior knowledge - it felt like it was longer than that, maybe because I'd got so used to using it!
Anyway, it's been changed.
That's brilliant news - no time limit on editing, the ignore threads function - one very happy bunny here! Thanks very much indeed, for all your hard work.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I bow to your superior knowledge - it felt like it was longer than that, maybe because I'd got so used to using it!

That's brilliant news - no time limit on editing, the ignore threads function - one very happy bunny here! Thanks very much indeed, for all your hard work.
Agreed,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here