Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] What to do with a baby seagull?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Is this a seagull as i thought they bred earlier in the year , me thinks its a pigeon. Either way Rogers is possibly best bet, in downs valley road woodingdean. As said previously take it and leave it by the gate as they are always working there.

Yup, it looks like a squab to me as well.

The lack of webbed feet is a bit of a giveaway.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If you drive, you can take it to Rogers and he'll assist. He rarely answers the phone as he's too busy.

Alternatively, post it on the "Brighton & Hove Gull, Pigeon and wildlife lovers" Facebook group and someone will collect it and take it to Roger.

Best advice. It's a good forum and folk are very helpful. Went on a little rescue mission for them myself a while back.

The bird has fallen from a roof and the parents are likely nearby. Although if you haven't been dived they may have gone. It may struggle to survive so you need help [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION]

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Current strategy seems to be to send it out on loan with lower league clubs and see how it develops.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
you'll need to chew up raw pilchards or sardines and then spit it into its mouth whilst dressed up as its mum (or dad 2020 and all that ) if you're not prepared to do that it's got no chance.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9499594 said:
Found this little fella in our garden in Hove and unsure how to help it. I’ve tried calling local wildlife rescue firms Rogers and Seahaven but haven’t been able to get through to anyone. I’ve built it a nest in a flowerpot which he seemed to like and tried feeding it a crushed snail but he wasn’t partial.

Anyone have any ideas who else to call locally?

Cheers!

815c132f16c3e5cb7fd8547b6ff594aa.jpg

Have you tried calling Squab busters ?

I just read, it might have survived a "Scalping"

"Pigeons have a natural instinct to kill babies that fall out of the nest. Perhaps the squeaking baby on the ground draws predators. In the babies that end up on the floor, in the wrong nest or parents that invade another's nest can get scalped"

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
you'll need to chew up raw pilchards or sardines and then spit it into its mouth whilst dressed up as its mum (or dad 2020 and all that ) if you're not prepared to do that it's got no chance.

I think that guy from trigger happy tv has a costume he can borrow

BountifulDiligentHarrierhawk-max-1mb.gif

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Whenever I’ve chewed raw pilchards I’ve found the regurgitation bit quite easy.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Thanks for the help and advice everyone. We didn't have any luck with any of the rescue centres yesterday but left it with a neighbour to care for. Hopefully, he goes on to lead a long and fruitful life, he's a wood pigeon apparently, not a seagull!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9500872 said:
Thanks for the help and advice everyone. We didn't have any luck with any of the rescue centres yesterday but left it with a neighbour to care for. Hopefully, he goes on to lead a long and fruitful life, he's a wood pigeon apparently, not a seagull!

You'd best hope he's not a homing pigeon then :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here