Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What is the point of the pitch side monitor VAR check?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The issue is now that the referee is no longer the person actually in charge. The fans know it, the players know it, the staff know it and the other officials know it. It’s why we see referees having so little control of games, IMO.
Ironically, going to the monitor was brought in to show the referee IS in charge. Uniquely as far as I know, when the Premier League brought in VAR, they didn’t use the pitchside monitor - just went with the remote decision. People complained that was re-refereeing the game so we now have to endure the farce that delays getting to the same decision even more.

Perhaps rather than wondering’was that clear and obvious?’ they should actually ask the ref a question. ‘Did you see the incident clearly?’ If the ref says “yes”, then VAR has no business getting involved. In situations like Chelsea’s penalty today you’ve got one ref who’s seen it and thinks it’s not a penalty and a second who’s seen it and thinks it is. In which case, you should have to go with the on-field decision. Granted, that might have meant we’d incorrectly have had one at the end but the whole thing’s a shambles anyway - let’s at least try to make it a less intrusive shambles.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bin off VAR. Bin it off now. I don't care that 'it won't be' or 'it's the people using it'. It's ruining the game I love. Absolutely ruining it. Football fans should be SO more annoyed about this than they are.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Bin off VAR. Bin it off now. I don't care that 'it won't be' or 'it's the people using it'. It's ruining the game I love. Absolutely ruining it. Football fans should be SO more annoyed about this than they are.

This.

With every passing week, I move closer to walking away from the PL (and by association the Albion), despite following Brighton being the main anchor point for the majority of my life. I’m honestly not that far away I don’t think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here