Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What is the longest any player has spent in possession of the ball (excluding goalkeepers)?

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Watching Levi Colwill stand on the ball in the middle of the pitch for an eternity against Arsenal, I wondered if there was a record for the longest time a player has kept the ball in a game? Don't mean over the course of the whole game but in one single spell of possession?

I have no idea why it matters to me.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
FDM used to be able to keep it for about half an hour, if we were winning.
Can't think of non-goalies though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
FDM used to be able to keep it for about half an hour, if we were winning.
So you think he wasn't a goalkeeper? You'll find little support for that notion round here, me laddio ???

:wink:

Last edited:

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
So you thing he wasn't a goalkeeper? You'll find little support for that notion round here, me laddio ???

:wink:
Yea, I didn't read the title properly :dunce:

But it must only be a matter of seconds surely? I doubt if a player has had the ball for more than a minute? I'm probably going to be wrong again.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022

But it must only be a matter of seconds surely? I doubt if a player has had the ball for more than a minute? I'm probably going to be wrong again.
Maradona for his second goal v England in 1986?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Got to be Charles Charlie Charles in the second half of Arsenal 1933 v Liverpool 1991, it's like the ball was glued to his foot.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

:lolol:

In normal play I can't see how a player can keep the ball for more than seconds.

Unless of course it's football legend Roy Race.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It will be someone who took it to the corner flag and shielded it for ages.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Helmut Haller was in possession of the 1966 World Cup Final ball for 30 years before it was returned to England in 1996.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Heat map of last 10 minutes of Euro 2022 Lionesses win

1672679332022.png

Attachments

• 1672679192128.png
    1672679192128.png
    123.2 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: :J)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Watching Levi Colwill stand on the ball in the middle of the pitch for an eternity against Arsenal, I wondered if there was a record for the longest time a player has kept the ball in a game? Don't mean over the course of the whole game but in one single spell of possession?

I have no idea why it matters to me.
The kid that owns the ball and storms off home with the ball under arm when they didn’t get their own way I would have thought

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Apart from when we score I rarely shout out but have to admit shouted out to Colwill to get on with it because we were losing.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Anyone remember Peter Knowles who played for Wolves. I once saw him sit on the ball in midfield before standing up again and carrying on with the ball.

His brother played for the Albion.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
They wouldn`t play fair so i took the ball home , we started again the following week , so i claim the record ......well they had to learn .................bloody 7 year olds :LOL:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here