Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Were you doing this in 1979 ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This was who I saw New Years eve 1979 at the Marquee.

79 a very fine year.
Saw them at a free festival on The Meadows in Edinburgh circa 1976/7/8 (there was a lot going on in my life around then!). Playing to three men and a dog - well probably more like thirty or forty men and a couple of dogs (and a couple of canines too!)

TBH, was not terribly impressed at the time. Adamson, of course, went on to form Big Country - a different gravy altogether.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Discos in the late 70s and early 80s were shit. Polarised music tastes essentially meaning the night was split into genres, depending on who had turned up at the crappy village hall gig and more importantly what the ‘DJ’ preferred (he obviously ‘preferred’ whatever any half-fit girl asked for). Invariably the evenings ended up in a fight at around 11pm, at which point the girl you’d had your eye on all night would disappear. Two more pints of rough cider, and a stumble home that included vomiting in the hedge.

Aaaah, village life as an adolescent [emoji849][emoji849]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Saw them at a free festival on The Meadows in Edinburgh circa 1976/7/8 (there was a lot going on in my life around then!). Playing to three men and a dog - well probably more like thirty or forty men and a couple of dogs (and a couple of canines too!)

TBH, was not terribly impressed at the time. Adamson, of course, went on to form Big Country - a different gravy altogether.

Saw Big Country in Vancouver. Great night. 1984 ish.

A very sad end for Adamson. The demon drink and depression.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Did your sets then or later ever include Sparks - Number 1 Song In Heaven or Sylvestor - You Make Me Feel Mighty Real? (Or were they a bit too far removed from mainstream disco likes at that time?).

Around about then and on into the 80's I was also doing a few gay clubs. Weather Girls, Sylvestor and some obscure high energy music was the norm. Never played Sparks, not even in my collection.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Around about then and on into the 80's I was also doing a few gay clubs. Weather Girls, Sylvestor and some obscure high energy music was the norm. Never played Sparks, not even in my collection.

Thanks.

A long time ago, but I envy that 'job' of yours then, I recall you talking about your time in Magaluff.

I was a punter at the straight and gay clubs (the gay clubs usually played the best music and opened on Sunday evenings, allowing yet another night out in the week)! I still own much of that music, as well as obscure Italo/Euro disco stuff. Still love it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here