Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valentín Barco **Signed 20/01/24**

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm more confused than ever about what our best 11 and best formation are. Barco and Baleba definitley each bring something unique to the side, but you also have to fit in Gross, Mitoma, JP, Enciso. Barco looks though his best position might be left midfield in a 4-3-3.
In truth - Gross would have been dropped if he wasn't Gross.
Long, long season for him and it's taken away his quick thinking and execution.
He needs a rest.

I would have rather seen Baleba start every game after we got knocked out of Europe.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Barco was terrific when he came on last night.

He has tremendous passing and quality of his crossing is superb. Real pace about it.

But as others have said ... where does he play ?

He could easily do the role Cucurella has been doing for Chelsea of late.
And the one Hinshelwood was doing by drifting into midfield from fullback
Not sure both fullbacks can do it though.

Be interesting to see how we try and incorporate Barco into the side.
He has done enough for another start on sunday for me though.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
In truth - Gross would have been dropped if he wasn't Gross.
Long, long season for him and it's taken away his quick thinking and execution.
He needs a rest.

I would have rather seen Baleba start every game after we got knocked out of Europe.
RDZ clearly doesn’t want to play Beleba and you can see why, the minute Billy was back he was dropped like a hot coal. For a passing side I don’t get this signing as he can’t pass has no vision and runs into blind alleys.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
RDZ clearly doesn’t want to play Beleba and you can see why, the minute Billy was back he was dropped like a hot coal. For a passing side I don’t get this signing as he can’t pass has no vision and runs into blind alleys.
He's young and needs to either be progressed or shipped out.

It was an ideal opportunity to give him the opportunity to sink or swim.
All the time he's just an injury back up, he's standing still.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He's young and needs to either be progressed or shipped out.

It was an ideal opportunity to give him the opportunity to sink or swim.
All the time he's just an injury back up, he's standing still.
Barco is also ‘young’ you can recognise talent almost immediately. Not saying he won’t make it maybe a loan to USG or something may help.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Barco looks like a left wing back to me or a left back where we play a defensive right back to allow the other defenders to go three at the back with the ball.
I know RDZ tends to prefer a back four but he played Jack H in an advanced RB role and so could we do the same with Barco on the other side.
To give us real options we would need a really quick covering defensive midfielder. I don’t think RDZ trusts Baleba yet in this role. With Pervis back we are going to have lots of options and ability to blood Barco in over time.
It’s going to be interesting to see how he is used.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bissouma used to do that, until he stopped doing it.

Baleba's strength is his strength.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Barco looks like a left wing back to me or a left back where we play a defensive right back to allow the other defenders to go three at the back with the ball.
I know RDZ tends to prefer a back four but he played Jack H in an advanced RB role and so could we do the same with Barco on the other side.
To give us real options we would need a really quick covering defensive midfielder. I don’t think RDZ trusts Baleba yet in this role. With Pervis back we are going to have lots of options and ability to blood Barco in over time.
It’s going to be interesting to see how he is used.
We have very similar thoughts on the matter.

I personally think we look a 3 at the back squad now. RDZ should take the summer to get his head round it, and go balls on on it in pre season

Barco and Pervis competing for LWB
Solly, Tariq and Hinsh competing for RWB

Veltman, JPVH and Webby competing for RCB
Dunky competing with Dunky for CCB
Igor competing with Pervis for LCB

The only way you could accomodate the talents of Barco and Hinsh in a back 4, is with a double pivot in midfield with two very defensive minded players. Baleba and one other. No Gross or Gilmour. I don't really see it

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
For me Baleba should be playing with Billy to combine the strength with some physicality. Gross and Billy is an issue as a DM pair, too slow and too weak. Gross would have been better doing whatever it was Buonnanote was meant tobe doing. We were horribly over run in the first half in CM.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
For me Baleba should be playing with Billy to combine the strength with some physicality. Gross and Billy is an issue as a DM pair, too slow and too weak. Gross would have been better doing whatever it was Buonnanote was meant tobe doing. We were horribly over run in the first half in CM.
Definitely. Repeatedly too slow and weak. They are a great combo if we are dominant but nowhere near enough legs the second it gets physical.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Barco was terrific when he came on last night.

He has tremendous passing and quality of his crossing is superb. Real pace about it.

But as others have said ... where does he play ?

He could easily do the role Cucurella has been doing for Chelsea of late.
And the one Hinshelwood was doing by drifting into midfield from fullback
Not sure both fullbacks can do it though.

Be interesting to see how we try and incorporate Barco into the side.
He has done enough for another start on sunday for me though.
I don’t think you can do it with both full backs because the other one needs to be the third in back 3. It worked with Hinshelwood as Igor or Pervis would fill in as the third.

The only way it might work is if Baleba played that role he did earlier in the season, was it Brentford home, where he played pretty much as a libero. But I still think that could leave you exposed to counter attacks if you had both full backs up field.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here