Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Unfortunate sponsorship at Southend

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's just amazing that no one from the club picked up on this

Maybe the club pitched it to them deliberately. If it had been a Jones, the local butcher, no-one would have mentioned it. But now it's gone viral - as someone said earlier, fabulous publicity for the company.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
This has gone viral because people are amused about a connection between a football ground and a couple who raped, sadistically abused and then murdered their own teenage daughter....as well as a minimum of 11 others.

Sorry...I just don't understand that humour.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This has gone viral because people are amused about a connection between a football ground and a couple who raped, sadistically abused and then murdered their own teenage daughter....as well as a minimum of 11 others.

Rightly or wrongly, it’s the British sense of humour. Gallows humour, if you will.

People laugh at Jimmy Savile, Hitler, the Yorkshire Ripper.

Never chuckled at Viz? Harold & Fred; They make people dead.
Never laughed at Dad’s Army?
No?

Nobody condones their acts. Nobody would copy their acts. But it’s the British way, it helps people deal with the horror of it all.

Fair enough you don’t find it funny, but you don’t understand it? Come off it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I recall being on a bus tour of Belfast. He told us how the ice hockey team was originally called the Belfast Bombers. Nobody has clocked the name until it was too late. True story. It got a laugh.
I have family that died in Belfast in the troubles. I spent summers there during the 80’s. But I still found it amusing.

It’s the British way.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
No publicity is bad publicity - G&W probably know this

Not on this occasion. Even I think it is over the line.

The Gilbert & Rose Stand as already stated would be fine.

Its a good job it was Southend rather than Swindon, a Bristol club or Gloucester.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

It is a very British style of humour though. Jimmy Savile, Michael Jackson, Princess Diana etc.. Whether you find it funny or not is obviously personal taste.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I still think it could have been deliberate. Get initial publicity for the name and then more for the change. If I were PR guy for G&R, I'd be laughing at the brand recognition this has brought.

Absolutely this. There is no chance they didn’t realise the issue. Absolutely done for maximum publicity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here