Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Trying to help someone in terrible accomodation in Brighton...

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
A friend of a friend is living in a one bed flat in Brighton with awful sound proofing and awful neighbours (the loud at all times of night type with constant people in and out, drug dealing, people shouting up at them from the street, feeling intimidated etc). They have some other big issues to deal with (part of the prosecution in a child sex abuse case) and lost their job a while back too (they did something idiotic unfortunately). They say they've been to the GP and have a counsellor to help re the abuse but say that neither are helping, they are not looking after themselves and appear on a downward spiral of hopelessness with repeated expressions of thoughts of suicide. No family support and very few friends. To my mind trying to change accomodation could be the priority to help them cope with the other issues. Personally, I know what it's like to have nightmare neighbours that mean you don't sleep, you're intimidated by them and you start getting paranoid. I'm trying to help out a bit but have zero experience re the housing sector. If you're currently on housing benefit that pays £800 pm I was thinking it wouldn't be that difficult to change accomodation but man I am out of touch with reality, as I've owned my place for some time now. People keep telling me that noone wants to rent to DSS but this guy is a sweet, quiet guy who likes to read and watch movies and keeps himself to himself.
Could anyone offer any insight or info re where is the best place to look on his behalf for somewhere else to live or which services could support him with this?
edit - the landlord is matey with BHCC (they have loads of properties in Brighton) and doesn't give a sh$t basically just said don't like it then give a week's notice.

Last edited:

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Feel for the guy. Its so difficult to rent privately on housing benefit as apparently if a tenant is in receipt of that it can void a type of insurance landlords take out.

Had a friend who was put in an awful accommodation opposite the pavilion owned by Baron homes, terrible condition. After enquiring for hundreds (this includes ex-council flats!) of 2 bed flats from Shoreham to Newhaven only TWO replied back and said that housing benefits were accepted on the condition of paying 6 months rent upfront! What world are these people on that they think someone in such a situation could afford that?

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Feel for the guy. Its so difficult to rent privately on housing benefit as apparently if a tenant is in receipt of that it can void a type of insurance landlords take out.

Had a friend who was put in an awful accommodation opposite the pavilion owned by Baron homes, terrible condition. After enquiring for hundreds of 2 bed flats from Shoreham to Newhaven only TWO got back and said that housing benefits were accepted on the condition of paying 6 months rent upfront! What world are these people on that they think someone in such a situation could afford that?
Thanks for replying. He has said he probably would like to leave Brighton and i was wondering if the approach you indicate might be the only way. I do appreciate the reservations about renting out to DSS (some past work and friend associations has meant I've seen some pretty grim places and met some pretty grim tenants) but one does need to remember not everyone is like that (despite it sometimes seeming the streets of Brighton are filled with people addicted to drink and drugs. I f&cking hate alcohol and recreational drugs and the damage they cause).

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I am a support worker for people who live in Emergency Accommodation and try and help people out of it into more secure housing

Unfortunately he will struggle to rent anywhere in B+H in his situation

-how tied to the area is he, could he move slightly further afield where it's cheaper, less competitive etc?
-does he know ANYONE who could act as a guarantor/stump up the 6 months advance? (long shot I know)
-I'm presuming a house share situation is out of the question?
-does he know anyone who'd have him as a lodger, even if it's as a short term thing?

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Thanks for replying. He has said he probably would like to leave Brighton and i was wondering if the approach you indicate might be the only way. I do appreciate the reservations about renting out to DSS (some past work and friend associations has meant I've seen some pretty grim places and met some pretty grim tenants) but one does need to remember not everyone is like that (despite it sometimes seeming the streets of Brighton are filled with people addicted to drink and drugs. I f&cking hate alcohol and recreational drugs and the damage they cause).

It would probably be much easier to email all estate agents in a certain radius and ask if they have any properties they are willing to rent out to tenants on housing benefits. My friend enquired by property in Rightmoge which meant they rang about hundreds. One came back in Newhaven, the other in Peacehaven. Maybe try those areas.

Tell them not to get too down with the amount of "no sorry, landlord won't accept benefits" from some snotty, unhelpful estate agent.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It would probably be much easier to email all estate agents in a certain radius and ask if they have any properties they are willing to rent out to tenants on housing benefits. My friend emailed enquired by property which meant they enquired about hundreds. One came back in Newhaven, the other in Peacehaven. Maybe try those areas.

Tell them not to get too down with the amount of "no sorry, landlord won't accept benefits" from some snotty, unhelpful estate agent.
Meeching Estate Agents in Newhaven have some properties to let at £750 pcm.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I am a support worker for people who live in Emergency Accommodation and try and help people out of it into more secure housing

Unfortunately he will struggle to rent anywhere in B+H in his situation

-how tied to the area is he, could he move slightly further afield where it's cheaper, less competitive etc?
-does he know ANYONE who could act as a guarantor/stump up the 6 months advance? (long shot I know)
-I'm presuming a house share situation is out of the question?
-does he know anyone who'd have him as a lodger, even if it's as a short term thing?
Cheers for this info, it gives us something to think about. He's a sweet guy but reluctant to share, I have discussed this with him because of it being a cheaper option so could visit it again with him. I'd have to look into the guarantor thing, i don't know him well enough tbh.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Full of praise for you as a friend trying to help. Unfortunately I can’t help in anyway really other than to say good bless you HCR.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Full of praise for you as a friend trying to help. Unfortunately I can’t help in anyway really other than to say good bless you HCR.
Well, you could at least offer to be a guarantor! :D edit- and I'm very, very minimally involved and tbh wary of getting too involved, having been very involved previously helping people out by staying at mine and helping out financially and I'm just not in a position mentally or physically to do so at current time. But information is power so just trying to gather any useful info. Thanks again for all replies so far.
edit edit - And all blessings should go to stewart12 above doing difficult, essential work (on shite money to be sure).

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I used to work for various housing agencies/projects in Brighton as a support worker and was the manager of a nightshelter within the homeless sector. People end up being homeless for all sorts of reasons including for an intolerable situation at home for whatever reason eg mental health issues, abuse, substance misuse etc etc.

It may be worth him contacting the Emmaus community in Portslade - it was set up by a friend of mine many years ago and offers the perfect respite for men or women in a desperate housing situation who need to get back their life. He sounds as if he would be suitable and could fit in well - he would also get any referrals to counselling etc if needed.

(I wouldn’t advise he try and relocate out of Brighton to private accommodation in another council district - it’s a bit of a risk in his current vulnerable state and he would have to prove a local connection to access any housing projects etc if he wasn’t able to afford private landlord accommodation)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A friend of a friend is living in a one bed flat in Brighton with awful sound proofing and awful neighbours (the loud at all times of night type with constant people in and out, drug dealing, people shouting up at them from the street, feeling intimidated etc). They have some other big issues to deal with (part of the prosecution in a child sex abuse case) and lost their job a while back too (they did something idiotic unfortunately). They say they've been to the GP and have a counsellor to help re the abuse but say that neither are helping, they are not looking after themselves and appear on a downward spiral of hopelessness with repeated expressions of thoughts of suicide. No family support and very few friends. To my mind trying to change accomodation could be the priority to help them cope with the other issues. Personally, I know what it's like to have nightmare neighbours that mean you don't sleep, you're intimidated by them and you start getting paranoid. I'm trying to help out a bit but have zero experience re the housing sector. If you're currently on housing benefit that pays £800 pm I was thinking it wouldn't be that difficult to change accomodation but man I am out of touch with reality, as I've owned my place for some time now. People keep telling me that noone wants to rent to DSS but this guy is a sweet, quiet guy who likes to read and watch movies and keeps himself to himself.
Could anyone offer any insight or info re where is the best place to look on his behalf for somewhere else to live or which services could support him with this?
edit - the landlord is matey with BHCC (they have loads of properties in Brighton) and doesn't give a sh$t basically just said don't like it then give a week's notice.
With a doctor's letter, he could be regarded as a priority A on the council list. That would be an important step.

The next prospect (in addition to the last) would be to go on the council list. Even as a priority A in Brighton it would be hard but elsewhere much easier.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I used to work for various housing agencies/projects in Brighton as a support worker and was the manager of a nightshelter within the homeless sector. People end up being homeless for all sorts of reasons including for an intolerable situation at home for whatever reason eg mental health issues, abuse, substance misuse etc etc.

It may be worth him contacting the Emmaus community in Portslade - it was set up by a friend of mine many years ago and offers the perfect respite for men or women in a desperate housing situation who need to get back their life. He sounds as if he would be suitable and could fit in well - he would also get any referrals to counselling etc if needed.

(I wouldn’t advise he try and relocate out of Brighton to private accommodation in another council district - it’s a bit of a risk in his current vulnerable state and he would have to prove a local connection to access any housing projects etc if he wasn’t able to afford private landlord accommodation)
Thanks also. I like the Emmaus suggestion, will see if he'll consider it. Because of the insomnia and stress of neighbour hell he is struggling to function but he is able to spend some nights occasionally at friends so we are hoping respite might help. But respite is with a vulnerable adult themselves so not ideal.

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
With a doctor's letter, he could be regarded as a priority A on the council list. That would be an important step.

The next prospect (in addition to the last) would be to go on the council list. Even as a priority A in Brighton it would be hard but elsewhere much easier.
Thanks. He did see the doctor yesterday but didn't say much positive about it. From what I've gathered he is unlikely to be marked category A. His counsellor was writing a letter as was a support worker on Survivors Network (?) I believe but neither actioned yet and neither replying to contact. I would imagine they have very large case loads though. I also imagine there are many people in the same boat tbf.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks. He did see the doctor yesterday but didn't say much positive about it. From what I've gathered he is unlikely to be marked category A. His counsellor was writing a letter as was a support worker on Survivors Network (?) I believe but neither actioned yet and neither replying to contact. I would imagine they have very large case loads though. I also imagine there are many people in the same boat tbf.
Even if he is category B, if he moved elsewhere there may be prospects. So hopefully that would be a step forward.

As a point of note, it is illegal not to rent to someone on the basis that they receive benefits.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
As a point of note, it is illegal not to rent to someone on the basis that they receive benefits.

yes, but somewhere like Brighton is going to see loads of people going for each property. The reality for many people on benefits is that they are competing for properties with people who are in work, which while the landlord doesn't have to refuse them as such, they can certainly give preference to the applicants who are in work

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
This is true, but he should do it anyway. It may not happen today or tomorrow but if he keeps building up evidence and applying to upgrade categories he will get something eventually. Its essentially a first come first serve scenario. If you don't keep the intensity up, like many 'services' you fall off the radar or will only be able to prove you need to be category A when your life completely falls apart and it's possibly too late.

This is from someone who both works for a housing association and spent a year or two working on a vulnerable friends housing applications until we got a good place in a housing association due to PTSD and EUPD.

Whilst the housing system is patently broken and oversubscribed he should be getting as much evidence together as possible

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Cheers for this info, it gives us something to think about. He's a sweet guy but reluctant to share, I have discussed this with him because of it being a cheaper option so could visit it again with him. I'd have to look into the guarantor thing, i don't know him well enough tbh.
Word of advice, do not, under any circumstances, offer to become a guarantor unless you have the ability to pay the rent comfortably for 9-12 months plus a contingency for any possible damage caused. Evicting tenants, even unpaying ones, or ones that wreck property, is a total nightmare and takes minimally 6 months if not longer. You'd be 100% liable for everything he owes.

Yes I feel for him and it's a shite situation, but you don't want to put your own accomodations on the line because of him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here