Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Travel Insurance beware.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

UK man suffered severe injuries, whilst in Thailand and now faces £20,000 hospital bill after worldwide travel insurance doesn't cover his fees.
A warning to all who take out any insurance, to read the small print.

"It was something in the small print. He took out an insurance policy which enabled him to travel worldwide, that's how it was sold. But it would only insure him for one country for 31 consecutive days.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The days of consecutive cover is normally pretty clear on comparison sites etc , hardly hidden in small print from my experience

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Like any insurance read everything carefully and declare everything honestly. If you’ve been to the Doctor for any reason at all in the last two years then declare them all in the “pre existing conditions” question. Make sure all your activities are covered (I needed much more expensive cover the year our “lads away” trip included canyoning) and very definitely read which countries are covered for how many days consecutively.

Insurers can and will decline a claim if the T&Cs are breached. It’s up to you not to give them the satisfaction

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
The days of consecutive cover is normally pretty clear on comparison sites etc , hardly hidden in small print from my experience
That was my thought, sounds like he purchased an annual multi-trip policy because it was cheaper than something like a year's Backpacker policy. The later covering more hazardous activities, like zipping around Thai Islands on a poorly maintained moped for 12 months.

If he and his family really think they were missold then consult a solicitor instead of jeopardising their case by bleating to the press.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
On the flip side, Insurers can and do ‘try it on’ from personal experience. We once had to cancel because of illness and were initially refused refund. When I intervened and got ‘arsey’ we were then refunded in full. Made me wonder if a ‘quieter personality’ or elderly person would have lost their money in same circumstances. Anyway, moral of the story, which also applies on NSC, is not to &@*# with me…:lolol::guns:

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
That was my thought, sounds like he purchased an annual multi-trip policy because it was cheaper than something like a year's Backpacker policy. The later covering more hazardous activities, like zipping around Thai Islands on a poorly maintained moped for 12 months.

If he and his family really think they were missold then consult a solicitor instead of jeopardising their case by bleating to the press.
This 100%.

I think that this standard across the insurance industry.

Similarly, home insurance policies only cover you for X consecutive days away from home usually 30 I believe so this is really nothing new.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

UK man suffered severe injuries, whilst in Thailand and now faces £20,000 hospital bill after worldwide travel insurance doesn't cover his fees.
A warning to all who take out any insurance, to read the small print.

"It was something in the small print. He took out an insurance policy which enabled him to travel worldwide, that's how it was sold. But it would only insure him for one country for 31 consecutive days.
I'm guessing he didn't accurately describe the nature of his travels as it would have been picked up then.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm guessing he didn't accurately describe the nature of his travels as it would have been picked up then.
Just goes to show you have to read all these days, as you'll get caught out.
Shame that there's so many clauses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here