Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Tooth extraction before heart surgery - recommended dentist in Sussex?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Just spoken to dad again - was referred by his original dentist to one in Woodingdean, who now say they can't do it and referred him to Eastbourne hospital. Waiting to see how long it might take (considering the heart surgery was talked about for 3-4 weeks).
Apologies if I've misunderstood but is your dad insisting on NHS just as a matter of principle despite the potential long wait and detrimental to heart issue?

I only ask because as stated previously their is a wealth of private dentists out there who will do it but of course at an increased cost. Most will have payment schemes too.

Having worked for ( now retired ) 30 years for an NHS body that monitored and policed NHS dentistry the issue of availability of NHS dentists is quite long and complex and has it's origins in the new NHS dental contracts that were introduced way back in 2006. In more recent times covid has thrown more issues into the mix.

Hope your dad gets sorted out OK :(

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
No not at all, it's just they're registered with a NHS dentist currently who said they couldn't do it and then referred him to woodingdean family dental practice who then said they couldn't do it and they referred him to Eastbourne hospital. I'm confused as to whether the first and second dentist say they can't do it because of the heart issue and that's why it's gone to the hospital. If it has to be done in Eastbourne hospital do you know if they can shorten the waiting time by paying the same person at the same hospital to do it privately?

Thanks for everyone's info so far.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Long shot but any suggestions would be helpful.

My old dad of 84 is waiting for triple heart surgery due to a worn out valve. The longer he has to wait the higher the chance of, well, mortality of course.

Partly due to covid and partly due to their normal dentist retiring he lapsed a bit with check ups. As part of the pre op stuff he needs a dental "all clear" (any infection in the mouth has connections to potential lethal infections in the heart).

Bad timing but some fillings have just fallen out :rolleyes: and now the check up he has just had the dentist said three teeth can no longer hold fillings and now three extractions are needed - but this new dental surgery (who they haven't been very happy with) can't do them and they have put a referral back to the NHS for it to be done (would normally be under local anesthetic or general but obviously with a heart op up coming it would have to be under local). That could be quite a wait even under priority.

I'm getting frustrated as while they are not minted my folks are comfortable and can probably stretch ok to private treatment for the extractions. They are just a bit old fashioned, the NHS will look after us etc etc. This really needs to be done asap so as not to delay the heart op further (it's already well over the suggest 4-8 weeks waiting list as Priority 2 that the consultant said) .

So....my question to the great and good of NSC -

Has anyone recently had tooth extractions done privately and could they recommend a dentist? (folks live in Seaford but can travel).

Sorry for the long post but any help gratefully received, cheers.

I just spoke to my Son's GF. She is a dental nurse and assistant manager of a practice in Eastbourne that we go to and are very happy with. She said they could do it but not until August. PM for details if you want.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Can recommend Village Dental in Patcham.

In one of my undoubted highlights of last season, I got back from Leicester at 5am and then went to get a couple extracted there a couple of hours later. The guy is an ex-pro rugby player. Stuck a bit of soothing music on and had a few jokes. A good time was had by all (sort of, relative to the context of my tragic life).

All the best to your old man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here