Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Timber treatment - fish pond

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Appealing to the hive mind that is NSC, again....

I have just put in replacement decking - softwood tannelised timber - and now want to apply an end grain sealer / protection for the many cut ends that surround the fish pond, as well as elsewhere.
My problem is finding a suitable product that is not listed as very harmful / fatal to the fish (koi and goldfish).
Does anyone know of a product that is A) an effective end grain sealer and B) not likely to kill the fish if it drips into / leaches from the timber into the pond?

It is not a big pond, but it's location is surrounded by cut ends from the decking. I can use some kind of shield to catch drips while applying the product, but that will not help if heavy rainfall then washes it out of the timber and back into the pond.

FWIW, if it came to a choice between me and the fish, 'er indoors would probably choose the fish, so I would prefer not to kill the little beggars, and would rather not pay a lot of cash to replace the decking in a couple of years, either.

Let the fish puns roll - hopefully there will be a bit of helpful advice dotted around, too :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think the slippery little f**ks prefer water.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Appealing to the hive mind that is NSC, again....

I have just put in replacement decking - softwood tannelised timber - and now want to apply an end grain sealer / protection for the many cut ends that surround the fish pond, as well as elsewhere.
My problem is finding a suitable product that is not listed as very harmful / fatal to the fish (koi and goldfish).
Does anyone know of a product that is A) an effective end grain sealer and B) not likely to kill the fish if it drips into / leaches from the timber into the pond?

It is not a big pond, but it's location is surrounded by cut ends from the decking. I can use some kind of shield to catch drips while applying the product, but that will not help if heavy rainfall then washes it out of the timber and back into the pond.

FWIW, if it came to a choice between me and the fish, 'er indoors would probably choose the fish, so I would prefer not to kill the little beggars, and would rather not pay a lot of cash to replace the decking in a couple of years, either.

Let the fish puns roll - hopefully there will be a bit of helpful advice dotted around, too :)

https://www.poolandpond.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d88_P2_-_SuperSeal.html

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's all about preparation, a few nights of this

Fish-and-Chips-1-square-500x375.jpg

And then slap on whatever treatment you want :shrug:

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
If it was me:-
1) I wouldn't use tanalised timber near water
2) If I did, then put uncut ends over the water
3) If 2 not practical then unscrew the decking then treat away from water and relay
4) If 2 and 3 not practical then protect the water with several layers of polythene and be very very careful with the treatment - no spraying.

Steak & Ale Pie

Aug 9, 2014
Cuprinol green wood preservative was fish safe last time I used it. But obviously check first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Appears the OP is out

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Appears the OP is out

Not out - just watching the cricket (unlike NZ, who are now all out).

Many thanks for the replies so far - some useful suggestions, it is appreciated.

As an aside, I struggle to keep up with NSC sometimes - adding a koi equivalent to NSC to my daily reading would seriously restrict the small amount of free time that I seem to have :)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not out - just watching the cricket (unlike NZ, who are now all out).

Many thanks for the replies so far - some useful suggestions, it is appreciated.

As an aside, I struggle to keep up with NSC sometimes - adding a koi equivalent to NSC to my daily reading would seriously restrict the small amount of free time that I seem to have :)

So you weren't out but we're watching New Zealand who were in until England got them out. Now they are hoping to get England out , who are in, until they win or get out or it rains

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We had a pond within some decking and it resulted in the deaths of two hedgehogs, which I still feel very bad about. It all looked very neat but for them it was just a big water trap that killed them as they kindly cleared the area of slugs and snails.

Of course a hedgehog can drown in any pond, but the decking gave them no chance.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
We had a pond within some decking and it resulted in the deaths of two hedgehogs, which I still feel very bad about. It all looked very neat but for them it was just a big water trap that killed them as they kindly cleared the area of slugs and snails.

Of course a hedgehog can drown in any pond, but the decking gave them no chance.

We should be OK - I've put up some 'Caution - deep water' signs near the pond (in large letters - I think hedgehogs have poor eyesight). I did think about putting some barriers up, but a few spiky fences seemed a bit pointless...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

That’s tragic. Did the second one go in to try and save the first one? Always a big mistake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here