Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] THIS is football

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
...or the "random football clips" thread, if you like.

Helge Asplund

What is a better way to start a thread like this than with a 50 year old Swedish trickster making VHS movies in the 80s and 90s?

Helge Asplund was never a professional footballer but he was obsessed with dribbling. He wrote letters to the Swedish national team coaches and urged them to dribble more. He made books describing various feints that tbf were unknown in Europe at the time. And when the VHS became popular in the 80s, he made a bunch of videos that he sold from his home in northern Sweden.

He never got any appreciation until the end of the 90s, when someone sent his videos to the Swedish state television. Allegedly the national team watched it in the team bus and were amazed and amused by this magician. Little did they know that just a couple of years earlier, Helge took his own life. Bit sad. But definitely football.

Rene Higuita

I've always been annoyed with Higuita almost only being famous for his "scorpion kick", when that was the least remarkable thing about his game...

The man was absurd with his frequent dribbles into the opposition half. Proper legend.

Deyverson

I don't like football *****... but they are also a part of football. This bloke is the most annoying guy I've ever seen on a football pitch, I think.

Happy we don't have to watch him week out week in. Unless GP is signing him up?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Remember Gignac?

Played for the French national team for a few years while banging in goals in Marseille and then randomly moved to the Mexican league where he has scored some 150 goals over seven seasons or so. 36 now but still going strong.

Anyway, not only does he score a lot of goals - but the quality of them are often pretty sick.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

3:30 onwards.

From the Polish Cup yesterday. Penalty shootout and fans are racially abusing the black player and the captain of the team (Sandecja Nowy Sacz) tells his teammates to leave the pitch and abandon the shootout. What a king.

Any idea on the fallout from this Swanny? Will the club with the racist fans get kicked out or do they win because the team being abused walked off. So glad we don't have that kind of shit here (any more)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Any idea on the fallout from this Swanny? Will the club with the racist fans get kicked out or do they win because the team being abused walked off. So glad we don't have that kind of shit here (any more)
No statement from the Polish FA yet.

Increadibly weak responses from the Slask Wroclaw managers & players though, refusing to speak about the issue and not condemning these fans etc. Just a lot of "well, not really anything we can do, no further comments" and so on.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
No statement from the Polish FA yet.

Increadibly weak responses from the Slask Wroclaw managers & players though, refusing to speak about the issue and not condemning these fans etc. Just a lot of "well, not really anything we can do, no further comments" and so on.
Thanks for the update. Disappointing but not unexpected. You would hope the Polish FA would send a very strong message and boot them out of the competition (+ fine + behind closed doors). It's down to the club to get rid of its rascist fans and if the Polish FA have to come down hard to make it happen, then so be it.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Rene Higuita

I've always been annoyed with Higuita almost only being famous for his "scorpion kick", when that was the least remarkable thing about his game...

The man was absurd with his frequent dribbles into the opposition half. Proper legend.
I was at that game.
What most people fail to realise is that when Higuita made his 'scorpion kick' the ball was dead, as the linesman's flag was up for offside. So there was absolutely no risk.
But it was a fun moment.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Thanks for the update. Disappointing but not unexpected. You would hope the Polish FA would send a very strong message and boot them out of the competition (+ fine + behind closed doors). It's down to the club to get rid of its rascist fans and if the Polish FA have to come down hard to make it happen, then so be it.
My guess is that the shootout will be remade in front of empty stands and maybe they have to play a game or two in front of no crowds.

Agree the club should get rid of its racist fans, but probably easier said than done. These hooligans are very dangerous men. I know Swedish, Dutch and German hooligans go to Poland once a year for some hooligan tournament and the Polish blokes destroy all the other hooligans each time because they really have no limits. Clubs and players are afraid of them.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
That bit where the Swedish bloke balances it on the back of his neck - is there a rule to say that you can't have the ball in a position where you can't be tackled unless it's a foul, and if not, why doesn't someone do this in a game? (Same for just running the length of the pitch doing headers or keepy-uppies.)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That bit where the Swedish bloke balances it on the back of his neck - is there a rule to say that you can't have the ball in a position where you can't be tackled unless it's a foul, and if not, why doesn't someone do this in a game? (Same for just running the length of the pitch doing headers or keepy-uppies.)
I don't think there is a rule like that, no.

There is a Brazilian player, Kerlon (also known as "The Seal",) who frequently does this:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think that used to be called an "agricultural challenge" - I have no idea why but it seems fitting
Some twenty years ago, 90% of all Brazilian professional footballers had spent less than five years in school so yeah agricultural is probably a decent description.

Its why South American football is how it is - having success on the pitch is the difference between a decent future and no future. If you need to kick the opponent in the chest to win, you do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here