[Cricket] The village / amateur 2024 CRICKET thread...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
All the best to NSC friends at their respective fixtures today. I'll be watching Sussex on the feed and the Championship play off.

I look forward to hearing your various tales of heroics and the relief of knowing that @hans kraay fan club is still alive.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Has anyone in the world of local village cricket come across one Paul Baker? a well respected umpire . . . so he tells me anyway.

Full of anecdotes and tales of his time in the game, a very good storyteller actually. Spent many years in Australia. If you have come across him you aren't likely to forget the experience!

An ex friend and acquaintance of mine aboard one of the North West Sussex Seagulls coaches to the Amex.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Sunday, Shrops u14 lost to Leicestershire CCC Acadamy u14. Rain delayed start by 1 hour, we lost the toss and were inserted. Limped to 107/9 from 36 before we were off for thunder and more rain, early lunch taken. Delayed restart bought Duckworth-Lewis into the game. Our innings was closed and the Foxes set a revised target of 100 from 36 overs. They chased their target 4 down with 7 overs left. To be honest the game was won and lost on the toss.

Tues/Weds 2-day game against Worcestershire CCC sub academy will bring a change of format for the boys, but the weather looks inclement ....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Big win. Portsmouth won the toss and invited us to bat…

When they took their first wicket in the 40th over, at 244, they might just have questioned that decision. Our opener who carried his bat for 136 two games ago, made 119, and is currently the highest run scorer across all 17 divisions of the Hampshire League - despite getting a first ball duck last week!

I took a wicket with the third ball of their reply, and it was never much of a contest - only some lower order hit and hope stuff, dragging them up to 156 all out (in vain pursuit of 271/1).

8/2/28/2 - poor economy rate that, for me. Tsk.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Has anyone in the world of local village cricket come across one Paul Baker? a well respected umpire . . . so he tells me anyway.

Full of anecdotes and tales of his time in the game, a very good storyteller actually. Spent many years in Australia. If you have come across him you aren't likely to forget the experience!

An ex friend and acquaintance of mine aboard one of the North West Sussex Seagulls coaches to the Amex.
Played against him when he played for Horsham. As you said not easy to forget. Think was captain for a while. He was an umpire in PL. Used to see him at Albion Does he still go.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Big win. Portsmouth lost the toss and told us to bat…

When they took their first wicket in the 40th over, at 242, they might just have questioned that decision. Our opener who carried his bat for 136 two games ago, made 119, and is currently the highest run scorer across all 17 divisions of the Hampshire League - despite getting a first ball duck last week!

I took a wicket with the third ball of their reply, and it was never much of a contest - only some lower order hit and hope stuff, dragging them up to 156 all out.

8/2/28/2 - poor economy rate that, for me. Tsk.
Corrected for you.

Jolly good win. You've played this before. Clearly.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Played against him when he played for Horsham. As you said not easy to forget. Think was captain for a while. He was an umpire in PL. Used to see him at Albion Does he still go.
To be quite honest l'm not sure, he certainly was a season ticket holder until a few years ago, we travel on different coaches to the Amex now as the routes were changed.

He only lives in Lower Beeding, so l will have to find out.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Tues/Weds 2-day game against Worcestershire CCC sub academy will bring a change of format for the boys, but the weather looks inclement ....
GAME OFF ! Groundsman declared Monday afternoon that the ground will be unfit and with rain forecast all day Tuesday, no chance of a 40-40 on Wednesday either.

Ho-hum - on to Sunday and a 240 mile round trip to play "Cricket East" aka Bedfordshire in the Royal London u14 county cup.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
GAME OFF ! Groundsman declared Monday afternoon that the ground will be unfit and with rain forecast all day Tuesday, no chance of a 40-40 on Wednesday either.

Ho-hum - on to Sunday and a 240 mile round trip to play "Cricket East" aka Bedfordshire in the Royal London u14 county cup.
I admire your loyalty, just hope you don't get to Bedford to find the pitch unplayable.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
From the sounds of it, I didn't miss much not playing with Uckfield on the weekend. Both 1st XI and 2nd XI well beaten (both teams played short ... early season availability struggles). I'll be missing my second weekend on the bounce, as I'm away holidaying with the family this weekend.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
At Hampton School for an MCC Foundation tournament. 2 wins out of 2 so far, I’ll post a full update later. Picture below doesn’t do this place justice, it’s huge. There are 3 cricket pitches and all are immaculate.

IMG_4076.jpeg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Change of plan tonight for me...

Hedge End Hawks v Tuskers CC
Southampton Evening League, Division 1

Game off - weather

Ampfield v Bexley Park
Tour Match

The weather later ought to have held for the Hedge End game, but too wet for the council to have prepared a pitch. My club will get the game on for the visiting touring side, so as not to let them down. Greater will to do so, plus the fact we have covers on the strip, should see us okay...

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
At Hampton School for an MCC Foundation tournament. 2 wins out of 2 so far, I’ll post a full update later. Picture below doesn’t do this place justice, it’s huge. There are 3 cricket pitches and all are immaculate.

View attachment 183212
Hampton was the scene of the second, and final, 50 I scored during my time playing cricket.

One season I took more wickets than I scored runs.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hampton was the scene of the second, and final, 50 I scored during my time playing cricket.

According to my RECORDS (yes, I am really that much of a statto) I achieved this 'feat' in...

1993 (5W / 4R)
2006 (10W / 2R)
2007 (5W / 0R)
2012 (18W / 10R)

🤡 💹

From overall 'career' totals* of 601W / 2381R
Actually 1986-1996 and 2001-2024 (I have no records of the few games I played in the missing 4 years)

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

I suspect that I've never scored more runs than wickets taken, in adult mens cricket.

Which is impressive when I consider that I didn't bowl at all in one of those seasons.

A couple of seasons ago my figures from the two matches played were the pleasingly symmetrical:

Wickets: 1
Runs: 1
Catches: 1
Batting Average: 1
Bowling Average: Unimportant

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

View attachment 183212

But this bastion of learning excellence is only able to survive thanks to taxpayer subsidy?

If their net fee income was reduced, the school would HAVE to pass on the full increase to all of the hardworking ordinary folk who scrimp and save to afford private education for their children.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that any of these private schools could find ANY cost saving efficiencies in order to continue delivering their primary function of quality classroom experience for students of high potential.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
So a busy week is nearly at an end.

Sunday the boy played a development friendly, 35 overs, pre-agreed that any batsman scoring 50 would retire and we'd declare at 200 to leave a chaseable total. We batted first, the came in at number and scored 8 runs before giving his wicket away with an ill judged shot that the bowler caught (to make matters worse the bowler was his Saturday second XI captain who happens to play of our opponents on Sunday). Our Aussie overseas player got 50 and another batsman 46 as we declared on 201/8 off 34 overs.

As it was a development friendly my lad and another youngster split the wicket keeping duties between them. The struggled to get going and we had them 37-3 with the boy smashing the wicket apart for 2 run outs. The second was a proper wicket keeper take from a very good throw, wish i'd filmed it. The other team rallied a bit but couldn't get close they finished on 142/6, a final wicket stand of 56 keeping the score respectable. The boy even had a bowl and although he was the most expensive bowler on his team he bowled a maiden over which pleased him.

Tuesday's age group T20 was called off cause of the weather and a poor outfield

Yesterday he trained with his age group team and stayed for some of the mens team training too.

Today as I said earlier we were up at Hampton School for the MCC Foundation U14 boys South East Hub Tournament. Games were 10 overs a side to make sure we could get through the matches as some rain had been predicted, batsman would retire once they reached 25 runs. To try and make the games quicker it was decided that 5 overs would be bowled from one end then we'd swap ends and the other 5 overs would be bowled from the other end, the batsman would change ends at the end of the over.

First game vs Dulwich

The boy opened the batting, and with his partner they put on a quick 50 for the opening wicket with both of them having to retire on 26 runs, in the case of the boy off 22 balls. This gave the incoming batsman some confidence and we ended the 10 overs on a huge 102/2. The boy was wicket keeper for the first match and although they didn't offer up any chances he kept well and at the half way stage they were 27/2. Dulwich had a second better half of the match and got themselves to 85/3 losing the last wicket run out on the final ball of the match. The lad was unlucky not to get a run out in the last over, a direct hit from a fielder had broken the wicket with the batsman well within his crease, they decided to run again as the ball ricocheted away, good throw from another fielder straight into the gloves, broke the rest of the wicket forgetting that you have to remove a stump when the bails are already off.

Second game vs Lewisham

This was a rain affected match, Lewisham batted first and the conditions didn't lend themselves to batting, they never got going and ended on 65/6. The boy was just fielding in this one but impressed with his ability to take the ball on the run and throw at the stumps without breaking stride.

Our turn to bat and he opened again, racing to 16 off just 9 balls, before being caught out by a decent catch the young lad took over his shoulder. With conditions still not brilliant the boys stuck at the task and reached the target with 9 balls to spare, finishing on 68/4.

Third game vs Croydon

This was effectively the final as both teams had won their opening two games. We batted first and got off to a steady start before some confusion saw the boy ran out for 10 runs (off 6 balls), from there though the team really accelerated the other opener and two other batsman all had to retire after reaching 25 runs to post a massive score of 109/4 off the 10 overs.

Into the field and the boy was wicket keeping again. A couple of excellent overs from the opening bowlers which their players struggled to get near and the boy swallowed up behind the wicket meant the were 2/0 off 2 overs. A huge advantage, Croydon didn't disgrace themselves though, they started to score steadily but the total we'd built was just too much. They finished on 72/2 giving us our third straight win.

It really was a cracking day of cricket, all of the games played in a great spirit, and there were plus points for each team to take away. From my point of view it was a great to see how well our team gelled and supported each other. Some of them had played against each other in T20 games last summer but this was the first time they'd played together as a team. They'd never even trained outdoors together having done 10 weeks of indoor nets over the winter.

The MCC Foundation is a fantastic opportunity for talented young cricketers to get some good quality coaching and play with and against other lads on a similar level. Hopefully the boy will be involved again but he'll be stepping up to the U16s next season.

Now for tomorrow and his Young Leaders coaching and officiating modules, hopefully he isn't too tired.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Change of plan tonight for me...

Hedge End Hawks v Tuskers CC
Southampton Evening League, Division 1

Game off - weather

Ampfield v Bexley Park
Tour Match

The weather later ought to have held for the Hedge End game, but too wet for the council to have prepared a pitch. My club will get the game on for the visiting touring side, so as not to let them down. Greater will to do so, plus the fact we have covers on the strip, should see us okay...
You never know what you are going to get, facing a touring side. How strong they'll be / how sober they'll be / how seriously they'll take the game. These lads came to win, and we hadn't selected nearly a strong enough side to face them.

Bexley Park 163/2 (4/0/24/1)
Ampfield 125/7 (1 not out!)

Full gamut of calf / hamstring / lower back soreness today, setting me up nicely for tomorrow's Hampshire League game...

Ampfield CC 1st XI v Calmore Sports CC
Hampshire Cricket League, Division 4

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Getting a bit macked off with this season already. First the weather is more than a bit tiresome. Now my WIFE has had the poor grace to go to hospital on Wednesday with a pain, then ended up having an emergency appendix op yesterday, meaning no cricket for me last Wednesday AND tomorrow as I now need to do my Florence Nightingale routine. I wouldn't have minded quite as much but I graciously ruled myself out just last weekend to do some decorating at her request.

Sigh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports