Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The United States of America

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Lived their for about three years in total and been back to visit maybe ten times, travelled from Mexico to Canada on the west coast and from LA to New York six times by various routes. The place is amazing but the people.......... mmmmm

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I suppose it's stating the obvious, but the folk from the UK who have visited frequently, or like myself, live here, tend to have a far more balanced view of what is a huge country - a continent, with massive contrasts in geography, culture, politics, almost everything. Sure there are some crazy goings on, and some turn offs - but that is what makes the country so interesting - and let's face it, what country doesn't have it's fair share of dislikes? I've been lucky enough to have lived in New York, Virginia, and now California and don't regret moving across. I've always felt very 'at home' here, sure I miss people, places, and 'things' back in the UK, but am pleased to be away from some of the negativity, over-entitlement and expectations that some people have, and of course the weather! Got a bit of a drought here at the moment, but with low 80's for the week end, it's easy to get used to sun and warmth. Obviously miss the Albion, friends & family, a decent, straight forward curry, and other such comforts. Big plus is the speed at which things can get done when everything gets pulled together - the speed at which the Sacramento Kings new arena has shot up down town is a good example. UTA and up the USA!!

The sun and warmth is all very well, but I missed just the occasional cool breeze when I lived in Miami. And Dolphins v Steelers never quite had the magic of Brighton v Rotherham ...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The sun and warmth is all very well, but I missed just the occasional cool breeze when I lived in Miami. And Dolphins v Steelers never quite had the magic of Brighton v Rotherham ...

Being an expat myself the weather is one thing I can categorically state I don't, and will never, miss. Obviously Germany is a different climate but I have always struggled with UK weather. Hot and cold are fine; it's that crap in between I don't like.

Also, living away from the UK really makes you totally evaluate your relationship with your own nation, on multiple levels, and what it means.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Dude YES. That would be awesome.
There are two more of us -- self and Portlander -- up heah in the Pine Tree State, just a ride on the Downeaster away... weather, and stray moose permitting.

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
Elvis, Taxi Driver, John Steinbeck, Arthur Miller, Husker Du, Jack Lemmon, The Beats, Andy Warhol, Jasper Johns, The Velvet Underground, Rockabilly, Johnny Cash, Jim Jarmusch, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Mercury Rev, The Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Jackson Pollock, True Romance, The Grand Canyon, New Mexico, REM, New York, San Fransisco, The Chevrolet Bel Air, The Ford Mustang, Laurel and Hardy, The Godfather Pt 2, The Sopranos, Blue Jeans, Converse All Stars, Rosa Parks, Muhammad Ali, Public Enemy, Jonathan Safran Foer, Carhartt, Red Wing boots, Rock and Roll, Jazz, Blues, The Producers, Richard Prior, Early Woody Allen, Bill Hicks, Jon Stewart, Lenny Bruce, Larry David, Patsy Cline, The Transistor, 3D Printing, Apple, The Wright Brothers, Helping defeat the Nazis, Tupperware, Fender Guitars, Gibson 335.

As an American, I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks for that post. I might add a couple items to the list, but not many :).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an American, I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks for that post. I might add a couple items to the list, but not many :).

It's great isn't it? I'll add craft beer, Frank Gehry, techno, diners. The US also invented what later became Tippex.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Brought us some great things and also some not so great and very evil things.

The way their corporations go around destroying the planet and and the lives of people in smaller countries gets on my nerves.

Also stuff like Guantanamo Bay ffs.

i am imagining those sentences being read in christopher hitchens voice

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I believe it was invented by the mother of Mike Nesmith of The Monkees.

A talented family!

As a child I always remember the various attempts at a solution to erasing ink. There was a pen with special ink called a Reply I think; the ink could be rubbed out with a rubber. Then there was the ink rubber itself, some course piece of material which destroyed the paper. Then Mrs Monkee came up with this simple, different but oh so simple solution; genius.

hi__neighbor

Jul 15, 2015
There are two more of us -- self and Portlander -- up heah in the Pine Tree State, just a ride on the Downeaster away... weather, and stray moose permitting.

Oh man. Well, let's hope that by the end of the season we'll have a good reason to all get together to watch a big game... if you catch my drift...

hi__neighbor

Jul 15, 2015
Think there at least 10 of us based in NYC, maybe more. Shaun, the landlord at Foleys, is a big Brighton fan and there are several Brighton shirts (including a framed signed one) hanging proudly in the bar. The now defunct Virgin Megastore used to sell Brighton shirts along side the Chelsea and Man U tat because of the Fat Boy Slim connection

Oh snap, I think an east-coast meet up at Foleys needs to happen this season.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
For all those who think British advertising is more sophisticated, witty or classy, there is not a middle class British department store in the world who will be able to trump Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga doing the Christmas advert for Barnes and Noble. A BOOKSHOP.

One nil to the apparently illiterate yanks, methinks. Or at least one nil to their ad agencies.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Echoing what others have said. Great country with some amazing scenery and some lovely people. Also more than its fair share of nutters.

I lived there for a total of 14 years (Atlanta, Houston, St Louis, New Jersey, LA, Chicago, New York) in four different stints. Have also visited many many times and is now my holiday destination of choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here