Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Official NSC Bird Spotting Thread.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
More summer visitors are here...
Great isn’t it - had a small flock of Swallows and House Martins on the Nature Reserve at work last week - still too early for Swifts - when I hear those screaming then I know summer will have arrived 🙂

Hoopoe in one of the local gardens this week. The White-tailed Eagles we’ve had up hear recently haven’t been seen for a while so maybe have headed over the sea or down South.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Great isn’t it - had a small flock of Swallows and House Martins on the Nature Reserve at work last week - still too early for Swifts - when I hear those screaming then I know summer will have arrived 🙂

Hoopoe in one of the local gardens this week. The White-tailed Eagles we’ve had up hear recently haven’t been seen for a while so maybe have headed over the sea or down South.
Where are you based ? White tailed Eagle seen hanging out at Pulborough Brooks recently, West Sussex.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Where are you based ? White tailed Eagle seen hanging out at Pulborough Brooks recently, West Sussex.
Hi Eeyore

I’m in Norfolk

We have quite a few sightings up here. Some of birds this year have been immature wild dutch ringed birds and we’ve had a few IoW immature birds wandering up here. The two this month were one from Europe and an IoW bird. The Norfolk reintroduction project was shelved but these European WTE sightings give hope WTE will colonise Norfolk naturally.

I saw a WTE at Pulborough in 2010 (long before the reintroduction project upon the IoW!) - it was a wandering immature bird from Europe so they have turned up from time to time from European populations as well as in more recent years from the IoW reintroductions.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Hi Eeyore

I’m in Norfolk

We have quite a few sightings up here. Some of birds this year have been immature wild dutch ringed birds and we’ve had a few IoW immature birds wandering up here. The two this month were one from Europe and an IoW bird. The Norfolk reintroduction project was shelved but these European WTE sightings give hope WTE will colonise Norfolk naturally.

I saw a WTE at Pulborough in 2010 (long before the reintroduction project upon the IoW!) - it was a wandering immature bird from Europe so they have turned up from time to time from European populations as well as in more recent years from the IoW reintroductions.

I've been scanning the skies around Brighton and Sussex in the hope of seeing one for the last couple of years but no luck yet. I did see a report that one of IOW ones had flown down the south downs as far as Dover and back if I remember rightly. Is there any sort of tracking available for the IOW ones ?

I'll be straight on here when I do :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've been scanning the skies around Brighton and Sussex in the hope of seeing one for the last couple of years but no luck yet. I did see a report that one of IOW ones had flown down the south downs as far as Dover and back if I remember rightly. Is there any sort of tracking available for the IOW ones ?

Regularly seen at Pulborough Brooks as mentioned above…..worth a visit

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

The IoW birds are all satellite tracked but that data isn’t publicly available for security reasons (birds of prey, especially eagles are subject to persecution/shooting, egg theft in this Country and are very susceptible to disturbance around nesting sites so the the tracking data will be used only for professional purposes). When I was working on breeding bird surveys on the Isle of Mull some years ago, there was a 2 mile cordon of local observers keeping members of the public away from the White-tailed nesting areas so the security really is very tight - unless they turn up randomly.

You can follow the exploits of IoW birds on Roy Dennis’s blog (Roy has been at the cutting edge of raptor reintroduction projects for decades and overseas the IoW one in partnership with the Forestry Commission)

If you really want to twitch a WTE at Pulborough or anywhere else in Sussex, then the rare Bird news apps are very helpful (but you need to subscribe to get the exact details of any sightings) - WTEs often hang around in an area hunting it for a few days, even weeks)

Keep your eyes on the skies for flying barn doors 🙂

If I remember- I’ll post on here if any turn up at Pulborough/Brighton.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The IoW birds are all satellite tracked but that data isn’t publicly available for security reasons (birds of prey, especially eagles are subject to persecution/shooting, egg theft in this Country and are very susceptible to disturbance around nesting sites so the the tracking data will be used only for professional purposes). When I was working on breeding bird surveys on the Isle of Mull some years ago, there was a 2 mile cordon of local observers keeping members of the public away from the White-tailed nesting areas so the security really is very tight - unless they turn up randomly.

You can follow the exploits of IoW birds on Roy Dennis’s blog (Roy has been at the cutting edge of raptor reintroduction projects for decades and overseas the IoW one in partnership with the Forestry Commission)

If you really want to twitch a WTE at Pulborough or anywhere else in Sussex, then the rare Bird news apps are very helpful (but you need to subscribe to get the exact details of any sightings) - WTEs often hang around in an area hunting it for a few days, even weeks)

Keep your eyes on the skies for flying barn doors 🙂

If I remember- I’ll post on here if any turn up at Pulborough/Brighton.

Thanks for the link. I see that one flew east along the South Coast, passing over Brighton at 10:00, Eastbourne half an hour later, and Hastings just before 11:00 on 23rd March, just a few weeks back. Most NSCers can't make it that quick on a Saturday :wink:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Thanks for the link. I see that one flew east along the South Coast, passing over Brighton at 10:00, Eastbourne half an hour later, and Hastings just before 11:00 on 23rd March, just a few weeks back. Most NSCers can't make it that quick on a Saturday :wink:
Keep one eye on the sky above the Amex when you watch our attempts on goal fly into orbit - it’s always good to multi-task :lol:

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
On holiday in Tenerife and just spotted this beauty by the pool. A Eurasian Hoopoe according to the Lens App.
Oh well back to my beer

20240420_123140.jpg

Attachments

• 1713616647702.png
    1713616647702.png
    269.7 KB · Views: 12

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sad story in our patio this week. We have been feeding a couple of in love sparrows and leaving nest building materials out for them. They took it up to build a nest in a neighbouring roof that is used yearly. Could see the Mrs was pregnant.
Yesterday a broken egg was found next to where we put the food. A thug sparrow has seen them off, taken out the eggs, claimed it for himself and yesterday gave his woman a good seeing to on our patio table. 😢
The bully can go and look for his own food.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here