Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The Last of Us

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't get it... we watched Episode One... got extremely bored, and gave up. Oh well, each to his/her own.
Yeah, I'm veering towards giving up on it. The first episode was ok, you expect a bit of 'scene setting'. The second was poor, and the third, when you expect a show to start taking off, was unbelievably dire. Almost all of it was about a couple (gay, not that that mattered) who eventually died in the end. (And if you haven't seen it that's not a spoiler, think of it as a service. I watched it so you don't have to). Jeez, it was more like Merchant Ivory film than an episode of an action series - and it was about as long as a film as well.

So, not impressed at the moment. It'll stick it for a bit longer but someone please reassure me that it gets better. Much better.

EDIT: And no, I haven't played the game.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Yeah, I'm veering towards giving up on it. The first episode was ok, you expect a bit of 'scene setting'. The second was poor, and the third, when you expect a show to start taking off, was unbelievably dire. Almost all of it was about a couple (gay, not that that mattered) who eventually died in the end. (And if you haven't seen it that's not a spoiler, think of it as a service. I watched it so you don't have to). Jeez, it was more like Merchant Ivory film than an episode of an action series - and it was about as long as a film as well.

So, not impressed at the moment. It'll stick it for a bit longer but someone please reassure me that it gets better. Much better.

Think the idea is to warn about a spoiler before you give it . As you can see plenty of people enjoyed that episode so maybe let them find out for themselves next time .

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I liked the 1st game, and I really disliked the 2nd game it was an awful story and a limited game. I'd expect this to follow suit, be good for one season then descend into mediocrity.
That's what I am expecting as I remember a big negative reaction to the second game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just caught up and watched E4. Another cracking episode, with the shootout set piece in Kansas City (Pittsburgh in the game) playing out very similar to the game. Really enjoying seeing the slow flourishing of the relationship between Joel and Ellie as they get to know each other, and get familiar with each other on their journey. They had a solid foundation for how this happens in the game, and they're staying pretty close to the source material. The acting of these characters is, IMO, utterly superb. Its rich writing.

What I find endlessly fascinating is the magnificent depiction of a world that went to hell 20 years ago. The panning shots of the overgrown ruins of towns, cities and countryside is just so well done - its beautiful, haunting and menacing all at the same time.

HBO have knocked it out of the park with this as far as I'm concerned.

Amexarmadillo

Dec 22, 2021
Just watched the last two. Boring. It’s like a re-run of the phase where Walking Dead turned garbage. No focus on the infected as a threat, just people v people. But very slow. Yawn.

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
Just watched the last two. Boring. It’s like a re-run of the phase where Walking Dead turned garbage. No focus on the infected as a threat, just people v people. But very slow. Yawn.
I think the game was more about the inhumanity of humans more than that of the infected.

Yeah. The game isn't about the "zombies". It's about people.

The show is absolutely nailing it.

Probably not for you then.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ok, I think I'm now fully on board. As I mentioned above after the slow start and the crappy 3rd episode I nearly gave up, but I stuck with it and the last few (based in Kansas) have been brilliant. The zombies are almost incidental.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Ok, I think I'm now fully on board. As I mentioned above after the slow start and the crappy 3rd episode I nearly gave up, but I stuck with it and the last few (based in Kansas) have been brilliant. The zombies are almost incidental.
I think the third episode is one of the best episodes of TV. And every episode has been great

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

I also haven’t played the game.

Apart from that I think the opposite to everything you’ve written!

TBF episode 3 is divisive - I thought it was great. I’ve enjoyed every episode. Brilliant series.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

TBF episode 3 is divisive - I thought it was great. I’ve enjoyed every episode. Brilliant series.
Ha! Well it would be boring if we all thought the same! Maybe I was swayed by the hype because at first I didn't think it lived up to it. Now as I said I'm fully on board. It knocks Walking Dead (which I DID give up on) into a cocked hat.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Never griped me. The scene with the 2 blokes flirting and cosying up bit odd. Sticking with it but 5/10 so far

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
We are really enjoying it probably because the whole zombie thing is alost incidental. The relationship between Joel and Ellie is fascinating.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I'm really enjoying it and will certainly continue to watch it primarily due to the performances of the main 2. They have been superb in everything I've seen them in. That said :

1. I suppose my expectations were set high as I read stuff like "Best TV episode ever!!!!" for episode 3 (the exclamation marks are nearly always a signpost for bad taste) on Twitter and got set with the Chocolate buttons for a TV classic. The characters weren't on screen long enough for me to care and the mortality rate is that high you kind of know whose dead before they've opened their mouths, in this particular episodes case for a blowie. It was a solid episode of telly and not a lot else.

2. The actress who played "Kathleen" in episodes 4 and 5 must have graduated from the "Minougue drama school of Erinsborough" A truly awful acting display who was about as menacing as a one of the 15 year old Palace lads in black. The FEDRA mob who got overthrown must have been the worst soldiers since Dads Army.

I haven't seen episode 6 yet but whichever new faces turn up, I'm chalking up long odds they haven't pegged it by the end of the series.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Ha! Well it would be boring if we all thought the same! Maybe I was swayed by the hype because at first I didn't think it lived up to it. Now as I said I'm fully on board. It knocks Walking Dead (which I DID give up on) into a cocked hat.
Walking Dead is excellent too . It’s legacy is tarnished though as it went on far too long.

I see tlou has already been commissioned for another season. No surprises there but hopefully they won’t flog it to death.

There’s something to be said for making one outstanding series and just leaving it at that .

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Walking Dead is excellent too . It’s legacy is tarnished though as it went on far too long.

I see tlou has already been commissioned for another season. No surprises there but hopefully they won’t flog it to death.

There’s something to be said for making one outstanding series and just leaving it at that .
There's only two games so would imagine season 2 will cover the 2nd game.

Naughty Dog, the game creators, came out recently saying they're looking to move past The Last of Us and Uncharted (their other enormously successful game series) so hopefully you're right, too much of a good thing and all that.

Amexarmadillo

Dec 22, 2021
Im still sticking with it but can’t say I’m gripped by a long way. Average plodding fodder for the most part with the occasional splatter of drama. 6.5/10.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Just watched Episode 6. Pick of the bunch for me. Never played the game - I did play Donkey Kong once which is my only game attempt in the past 20 odd years -so no idea if this fits in with the game narrative. Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsay are the best partnership since Nelson and Bremner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here