Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The infinite game

Shorehamseagull

Dec 23, 2019
I've been recently reading a business book - The Infinite Game by Simon Sinek

I couldn't help but feel like it very well describes why Brighton are currently doing so well. It really wouldn't surprised me if TB has the "infinite" mindset, possibly has even read this book.

I'll try and summarise (adapted from Simon's website) -

What is a finite game?
Finite games have a definite beginning and ending. They are played with the goal of winning. A finite game is resolved within the context of its rules, with a winner of the contest being declared and receiving a victory. The rules exist to ensure the game is finite. For example a football match.

What is an infinite game?
While an infinite game is one with known and unknown players, changeable rules, and no end. The objective is not to win—the objective is to keep playing. For example, running a football club. You can't necessarily "win", yes you can win a game, league or a trophy but ultimately you need to stay in the game.

What is an infinite mindset?
As a leader, having an infinite mindset means that you put aside your ego. They know that they are a part of something bigger and constantly seek ways to grow and leave a legacy. For a leader with an infinite mindset, the goal is never to “be the best”, but rather to be better everyday.

What's the difference between the finite and infinite mindset?
A leader with a finite mindset views situations in life as either wins or losses, regarding their opponents as competition. A leader with an infinite mindset works toward the common good and knows that the only person they are trying to improve upon is themselves.

How do you win the infinite game?
Infinite games are just that: Infinite. They don’t have a finish line. And because there is no finish line, there is no such thing as “winning” an infinite game. In an infinite game, the primary objective is to keep playing, with the best outcome possible being that you end your turn happy with your progress in it.

In contrast to what it seems is TB, PB RDZ infinite mindset, Chelsea and Todd Boehly is a classic example of someone playing with a finite mindset.

Reading it has really made me think quite differently about lots of situations in life and admire even more what TB is doing with Brighton!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here