Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The five substitutions rule

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The rules of this had passed me by a bit so thought I'd highlight. Less opportunity for time wasting than I feared.

Now five substitutions will be allowed from a bench of nine players. Teams have three opportunities to use their five subs - plus the option to make them at half-time - after which no more subs can be made.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I think this rule will benefit the way we play. Previously, it's been said only the elite teams would find it useful with their better squads, but as our strength in depth has improved over the last few years, Mr Potter will definitely use it to our advantage.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The rules of this had passed me by a bit so thought I'd highlight. Less opportunity for time wasting than I feared.

Now five substitutions will be allowed from a bench of nine players. Teams have three opportunities to use their five subs - plus the option to make them at half-time - after which no more subs can be made.

Exactly how it was during project restart when 5 subs were permitted.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Potter was one of the best managers at maximising the 5 subs. He regularly made all 5 subs and our results improved in a PPG ratio.

Some managers just make like for like substitutions but Potter often uses his substitutions to adapt the set up, style, role of personnel so could flourish with a bigger squad of players all read.

FWIW I think the rule change should've been to 6 subs plus 3 U21's and a maximum of 3 changes but unlimited for U21

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here