[Finance] The end of Notes and Coins?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It would be around here!

If you got to the end and the card machine is broken wouldn't the walk just be from the back seat to the front door. What's the cabbie going to do, waste more petrol driving you back to the pick up point?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If a cab driver got a broken card reader here, he will take his pay from the mobile payment app(Swish). The app is connected to your bank account, you just type the number of the reciptient (who also need the app) and the sum and its done in 20 seconds.

Similar systems are very popular in Denmark (MobilePayment) and Norway (Vipps) as well. Its not because we are that ****ing technically adept or progressive, just insanely trend sensitive and perfect lab rats to try the potential of products, like the Japan of Europe. Its coming for you - possibly very fast and hard because of the virus. Its rapidly becoming popular in Italy, Poland, India and some other countries.

If this is not within 5 years the more common solution in the UK instead of going on a mutually annoyed trip with your taxi driver to the closest cash machine, I promise to eat a bucket of roasted horseshit.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I haven't used any coins/notes since the lockdown as all open outlets are cashless only. Think this will have changed a few to card only transactions for ever

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Hmm . A good thing in many ways but still some hurdles to overcome.
The last time I offered a debit card for a £2 drink, the cafe owner shirtily said it was a minimum £5 spend on plastic. That was only last summer.
What about if you want say , one postage stamp at however many pennies they are? Can you charge that?
Say your friend shops for you and you pay him the cost, how do you pay him?
We have bought things at South of England Show in the middle of the countryside and the trader could not make his wireless card machine work there.... had to pay cash
That done , I agree - debit card when possible.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If a cab driver got a broken card reader here, he will take his pay from the mobile payment app(Swish). The app is connected to your bank account, you just type the number of the reciptient (who also need the app) and the sum and its done in 20 seconds.

Similar systems are very popular in Denmark (MobilePayment) and Norway (Vipps) as well. Its not because we are that ****ing technically adept or progressive, just insanely trend sensitive and perfect lab rats to try the potential of products, like the Japan of Europe. Its coming for you - possibly very fast and hard because of the virus. Its rapidly becoming popular in Italy, Poland, India and some other countries.

If this is not within 5 years the more common solution in the UK instead of going on a mutually annoyed trip with your taxi driver to the closest cash machine, I promise to eat a bucket of roasted horseshit.

I spent a couple of days in Stockholm two years ago with work. I took out some Krona at Heathrow and waited for my colleagues when I landed. When I told them I'd got cash they laughed at me and, indeed, they were right. Card paid for absolutely everything. I still have the Krona. I think of it as a souvenir.

That really doesn't correlate to Japan though. In fact, I think the reason I took the cash out was a subconscious reaction to when I lived in Tokyo for a year in 2003. At that time over there cash was king and nowhere accepted cards. To get my expenses - and I weep when I type this (please get me a time machine) - I had to take the equivalent of £50 a day out of a bank account with my corporate credit card and claim it as a per diem :cry:

These days cards are a bit more acceptable, including in cabs, but card usage in Japan is still comparatively low. https://matcha-jp.com/en/5919

In fact, thinking of Japan as technologically advanced is a bit one dimensional. There is no doubt they are way ahead in some things but when I lived there, although their mobile phones were way better than Western ones they only worked there. No roaming at all. Similarly (and the reason I was out there) the rush to computerise early on after the war had left them with outdated legacy systems and complicated code and data that no one understood by the early 2000s. The Japanese banking system back then was a joke. If I want to look for technical "canaries in the mine" it's the libertarian graduates in Silicone Valley who I suggest will be pumping out the gas.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I spent a couple of days in Stockholm two years ago with work. I took out some Krona at Heathrow and waited for my colleagues when I landed. When I told them I'd got cash they laughed at me and, indeed, they were right. Card paid for absolutely everything. I still have the Krona. I think of it as a souvenir.

That really doesn't correlate to Japan though. In fact, I think the reason I took the cash out was a subconscious reaction to when I lived in Tokyo for a year in 2003. At that time over there cash was king and nowhere accepted cards. To get my expenses - and I weep when I type this (please get me a time machine) - I had to take the equivalent of £50 a day out of a bank account with my corporate credit card and claim it as a per diem :cry:

These days cards are a bit more acceptable, including in cabs, but card usage in Japan is still comparatively low. https://matcha-jp.com/en/5919

In fact, thinking of Japan as technologically advanced is a bit one dimensional. There is no doubt they are way ahead in some things but when I lived there, although their mobile phones were way better than Western ones they only worked there. No roaming at all. Similarly (and the reason I was out there) the rush to computerise early on after the war had left them with outdated legacy systems and complicated code and data that no one understood by the early 2000s. The Japanese banking system back then was a joke. If I want to look for technical "canaries in the mine" it's the libertarian graduates in Silicone Valley who I suggest will be pumping out the gas.

I've never been to Japan (or any other Asian nation than NK) but I imagine you are right.

What I meant with "Sweden and Japan" is that big tech companies often try their shit here (and there) to see if it works generally on the European / Asian market. If the Japanese dont like it, the others probably wont like it either. If they do like it, there's a decent chance others will as well. But I could definitely see how that could have turned out the way you describe it - a lot of flawed, half-made systems.

I could also imagine why cash is still king in a lot of "techno"-Asia. Most of them have more industry and small scale manufacturing than the service economies over in Europe, which is something I would imagine delays the cashless development.

The main reason why cash is dead over in Sweden is that the banks (we only have 4 after a series of mergers in 90s onwards) for twenty years or so have collaborated to make it happen:

* They collectively own the company that picks up cash from stores, and have increased the cost of this service to the level where a lot of mid-size businesses get very little value from accepting cash.

* They have developed smooth user-friendly systems that work with every Swedish bank, such as the Swish app.

* They have reduced the fee they charge from credit card buys to close to zero.

* They have created subventions to make it very cheap and easy to get credit card readers.

While I imagine that in countries where the banks are (seemingly) less friendly towards eachother - I'd imagine some countries actually have functional laws to prevent cartels from acting in broad daylight - will take a longer time to get where we are in terms of cashlessness, I cant see any other development than that you will be getting there.

The banks love when people consume with cards or cell phones - its tracable, it lowers cash handling costs and they can earn money any time someone is buying something.

In 5-10 years I think mobile payment will be larger than cash everywhere in Western Europe except for Germany where the distrust in the financial power is too big.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If you got to the end and the card machine is broken wouldn't the walk just be from the back seat to the front door. What's the cabbie going to do, waste more petrol driving you back to the pick up point?

He wouldn’t have accepted the fare in the first place if his card machine was broken. As you point out there may be a single journey where the system went down during it so he wouldn’t know until the journey was over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here