Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Brighton algo & threat from AI

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
There's a very interesting article on The Times today about Tony Bloom. Well worth a read (not sure if there is a pay wall).

Lots of chat about his gambling and Starlizard and how he and Brighton are the company's largest client - we spend £3m a year with them.

It got me wondering. What will the impact of AI be on this kind of business? Putting the existential threat to one side if you can, the democratising effect of AI seems evident. Could the insights that previously needed a computing power and PhD-led organisation to succeed soon be available to all?

In which case, where does that leave Brighton's much praised data-led recruitment strategy?

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Have you seen the people that run the world and our public and private services? Could AI be more selfish and useless? As for Starlizard, I'm not going to lose any sleep.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
That's a very interesting article. Re the OP's point, StarLizard or TB's own algorithms are already a form of AI but AI is only as good as the data that feeds it. Perhaps StarLizards data is unique? TB is ahead of the game and is not going to want to lose that advantage, so even if others catch up to the level TB is currently at, he will have moved on.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Relax. ELO were going on about it back in 1981 (Yours Truly).

"I drive the very latest hovercar
I don't know where you are
But I miss you so much till then
I met someone who looks a lot like you
She does the things you do
But she is an IBM."

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I think at times we downplay the skill and talent of our recruitment team, for example Caicedo was well identified as a talent by bigger clubs but only we had the experience and nous to get it it done. Until there's a time that all transfers are done by AI we can maintain an advantage by being better at the human side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here