Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Breakthrough Party.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
That’s incorrect about Sunak. UK taxation as a whole is the highest since WW2 as a percentage of GDP. You have to look beyond headline income and CGT rates. Put it this way, the Telegraph is furious with Sunak and Hunt about it, articles on their case every week. Correct about Truss, that was her plan.

View attachment 162765
what would it be if gdp hadn't been brexited?

austerity also held back gdp

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
what would it be if gdp hadn't been brexited?

austerity also held back gdp

True on both points, but the GDP point applies to much of western Europe. Economists explain this as mature economies, growth gains become harder to sustain.

I work in tax, there've been a number of stealth and overt tax increases since 2010:
- personal allowances and tax bands that haven't kept up with inflation (fiscal drag).
- VAT 15% to 20%
- Ers NIC 12.8% to 13.8%
- Ees NIC 11 to 12%
- Class 4 NIC on the self employed up 1%
- IPT from 5% to 12% (we all pay this)
- Dividend income tax for basic rate taxpayers from 0% to 8.75%, from 25% to 33.75% on the next band up.

Total UK public sector revenues have increased from £665m in 2009/10 to £1t.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
True on both points, but the GDP point applies to much of western Europe. Economists explain this as mature economies, growth gains become harder to sustain.

I work in tax, there've been a number of stealth and overt tax increases since 2010:
- personal allowances and tax bands that haven't kept up with inflation (fiscal drag).
- VAT 15% to 20%
- Ers NIC 12.8% to 13.8%
- Ees NIC 11 to 12%
- Class 4 NIC on the self employed up 1%
- IPT from 5% to 12% (we all pay this)
- Dividend income tax for basic rate taxpayers from 0% to 7.5%, from 25% to 32.5% on the next band ups.

Total UK public sector revenues have increased from £665m in 2009/10 to £1t.
Imagine how much worse it would have been under Red Ed Milliband and Corbyn, though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Imagine how much worse it would have been under Red Ed Milliband and Corbyn, though.

This won’t fit neatly into the lazy nsc binary world (good versus evil) of everything party politicised, but I’m increasingly of the opinion that economically the UK follows a similar path regardless.

That’s actually backed factually. The IFS I think evaluated the May 2010 austerity plans of Brown against The Coalition and found very little between them.

Corbyn was the outlier for example he proposed appropriating parts of our countryside at rock bottom agricultural prices, paving it with development. But the tax-spend sums didn’t add up. He would consider Milliband as a reactionist pig :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This won’t fit neatly into the lazy nsc binary world (good versus evil) of everything party politicised, but I’m increasingly of the opinion that economically the UK follows a similar path regardless.

That’s actually backed factually. The IFS I think evaluated the May 2010 austerity plans of Brown against The Coalition and found very little between them.

Corbyn was the outlier for example he proposed appropriating parts of our countryside at rock bottom agricultural prices, paving it with development. But the tax-spend sums didn’t add up. He would consider Milliband as a reactionist pig :lolol:
I was being facetious of course. But I agree with your points.

Austerity went on for far too long, but we ceased to notice after a point, as the country became obsessed with Brexit.
However, (brace yourself......) it is what it is.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Complete outlier, he certainly didn't put up the type of economic success story that Johnson, Truss and Sunak proposed and achieved, but then they all considered Thatcher, Major, Heseltine, Clarke, May etc to be reactionist pigs.

But I'm sure that wouldn't fit neatly into the NSC binary world :wink:

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was being facetious of course. But I agree with your points.

Austerity went on for far too long, but we ceased to notice after a point, as the country became obsessed with Brexit.
However, (brace yourself......) it is what it is.

I did recognise that :lolol: .

With the benefit of hindsight, I wonder if most of the austerity (which Brown planned too …. I get this in, again, before the ill informed zealots jump in), was necessary at all.

For example, de facto pay freezes for nurses, huge cuts to frontline police numbers, allowing road surfaces to become dangerous, closing Sure Start centres, cuts to mental health services. All immensely damaging, people were hurt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here