Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Age Of Stupidity

el punal

The gastro pub one sounds like a well meaning (but admittedly daft) attempt to try and find a solution, maybe she was just having a moment.

Sorry, hospitality solidarity and all that

As an aside to the original thread, I worked in a restaurant as a waiter in my yoof. A couple of diners were taking ages to finish their starter which happened to be whitebait. The chef was getting agitated as the main course was ready to be plated up and demanded to know what the delay was.

I went to investigate and found that the said diners were filleting each individual whitebait. :facepalm:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Years ago, I was listening on the radio to complaints Brits had made about their holidays abroad:

1. 'There were too many Spaniards'. (Yes, they had been to Spain).
2. 'There were fish in the sea - they frightened the children.'
3. (From Brits on an all-inclusive holiday in Jamaica), 'it took us 9 hours to fly here, but we were talking to these Americans, and it only took them 3 hours'.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Have a query and unable to speak to anybody so as suggested join a chat line only to find communicating with a computer including Albions

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Years ago, I was listening on the radio to complaints Brits had made about their holidays abroad:

3. (From Brits on an all-inclusive holiday in Jamaica), 'it took us 9 hours to fly here, but we were talking to these Americans, and it only took them 3 hours'.

The third one is amazing.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The third one is amazing.

Indeed. Booked a holiday in Jamaica, spending a small fortune, and it never crossed their minds to look at a map to see where it is. The flight must have been hilarious. 'WHEN are we ever going to get there?'.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed. Booked a holiday in Jamaica, spending a small fortune, and it never crossed their minds to look at a map to see where it is. The flight must have been hilarious. 'WHEN are we ever going to get there?'.

imagine their horror when they land and find out the island is full of black people.

el punal

A football related incident from back in the 1980s. Five Newcastle fans drove down to Coventry City’s Highfield Road ground to watch their beloved Geordies play the Skyblues. When they arrived they found the ground empty, and then discovered that the match was being played at St.James’ Park. :laugh:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

There's a humourous anecdote in Giles Tremlett's book Ghosts of Spain where he recounts a Brit on the Costa del Sol telling him there weren't many foreigners living there, everyone was British apart from a Norwegian couple.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Me yesterday in conversation with the dentist receptionist.

Her: You can have an appointment on Monday 30th May.
Me: What day is Monday 30th May? :ffsparr:

In my defence, I was speaking in a foreign language and they'd called me while I was a teaching a class.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
People working new jobs without the requisite training because of staff shortages. As someone else has said, stop being a snob.

If you’d put as much effort into helping them as you’ve done about identifying their failures here, they’d be much better service providers.

Not sure if serious :lolol:
Did you read this bit of the post?

Firstly, I was relaxing at home when the phone rang, it was the local pizza delivery outfit. What toppings would you like on your pizza asked the lady on the other end of the phone. I didn’t order a pizza, I replied. Oh, said she, is your phone number 123456? No, said I, I’m 123455. Then the best bit - Would you mind going next door and ask them what toppings they would like? :mad:

You can’t fix stupid :facepalm:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
People working new jobs without the requisite training because of staff shortages. As someone else has said, stop being a snob.

If you’d put as much effort into helping them as you’ve done about identifying their failures here, they’d be much better service providers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With regard to the first instance he quoted, no I really don't think so. I refuse to believe that anyone, ANYONE thinks that phone numbers are allocated sequentially as you go up the road. As others have said it must have been a joke.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Couple of years back, in WH Smith in Churchill Square, I asked to buy 12 first class stamps. To which came the reply: "I'm sorry, we've only got books of 6" :wozza:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Couple of years back, in WH Smith in Churchill Square, I asked to buy 12 first class stamps. To which came the reply: "I'm sorry, we've only got books of 6" :wozza:

That's disappointing, Tom.

To avoid a wasted journey from Preston Park, you should probably have bought a book and then an extra one just in case.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That's disappointing, Tom.

To avoid a wasted journey from Preston Park, you should probably have bought a book and then an extra one just in case.

No wasted journey Mr [MENTION=325]hart's shirt[/MENTION]. I look on it as a form of investment. Seeing as how I only send about one letter a year, and 1st class stamps appear to have no expiry date, I regard the purchase as a decade-long hedge against postal charge inflation :thumbsup:

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
No wasted journey Mr [MENTION=325]hart's shirt[/MENTION]. I look on it as a form of investment. Seeing as how I only send about one letter a year, and 1st class stamps appear to have no expiry date, I regard the purchase as a decade-long hedge against postal charge inflation :thumbsup:

Unless they are the new ones with a bar code this will only work until end Jan next year. You can apparently take in non-bar coded stamps & swap them for the new ones.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The end of a call to a helpline (assuming you've had a few hours to spare to get through to actually talk to a person) ........... "Is there anything ELSE I can help you with?"

Whadya mean, anything else? - you haven't helped me with anything!
Depending on the time of day, I either say, a cup of tea would be nice or pour me a large whisky.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Wrong phone number by one. I rang home once, got the last digit wrong - and it was answered by a girl at school that I quite fancied! Still didn't get anywhere mind....

Yesterday I was questioning a farmer about usage of a path along a riverbank, and one of the main issues is whether usage is by permission (the local angling club have a written agreement) or by members of the public trespassing. Anyway, I was asking about how often he saw each type of user (angler / [dog] walker), and then went on to say 'how can you tell which is which'. As I was saying it I realised my stupidity. As did the farmer who laconically answered that 'Anglers usually have loads of fishing kit with them....'

el punal

A few (many!) years ago I worked as a postman for Royal Mail. On one particular occasion we were short staffed at our delivery office and so recruited temporary personnel from an agency to carry out postal deliveries on those vacant rounds. The new intake arrived which included a bloke with just one arm! I suspect someone at the agency had not fully read the job description requirements. :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here