Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Sturgeon et al lose indyref2 court case

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No. This has been debated on here before, so I won't try and bore everyone, but briefly...
complete this sentance:
"Scotland is a ________ in the north of Great Britan".

there are multiple answers but we all know what most would say. in English words can have different meanings, allowing the same word to be used in different contexts. or different words for the same thing, for example your definition would also work for "state" or more accurately "nation state". such a glorious language.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No. This has been debated on here before, so I won't try and bore everyone, but briefly...
There are definitions of what a country is:
Have control of your borders
Have control of your laws
Maybe have your own military, I forget
Be recognised as a country by other countries
Have your own currency (I realise EU countries have chosen to have one currency now - while they also share some laws now, the crux is that they, as we have, always have the right to leave)
Possibly others, I forget.

England and Scotland (and Wales) don't get one tick on that list. Not one.

A lot of people will say we're countries, because they want us to be. A politician certainly can't say we're not, because they'd get a lot of hate etc. We're more like ceremonial countries - we used to be, and we certainly still have strong national identities, but we don't have anything that a country needs to have.
Many geographical terms have different definitions. I am not saying you are wrong but I am interested in where your definition came from.

el punal

I thought Scotland had already had a referendum on devolution (yes, I know, I’m emphasising the point!) and voted to stay in the union. So now they want a replay because the ‘yes people’ think it’s all terribly unfair. How many more indyrefs do they want? Jesus! We’re into Trump territory now with this one. The people have decided to remain, suck it up. Move on. Get over it. Adios!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Many geographical terms have different definitions. I am not saying you are wrong but I am interested in where your definition came from.

I can't remember, but some years ago when I was looking at countries of the world, and the definition of a country etc. Country isn't usually a meaningless term and countries usually have a seat at the UN, they get a vote in world affairs etc. The English language is of course colourful, but other languages also have a word for country, with the meanings I've mentioned, and when we refer to a nation as a country, that is the meaning people around the world understand. Calling England a country is more of a throw back to before the UK, but we no longer have any of the rights that all other countries have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here