NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I saw King Crimson at the Dome in 2015.
I forget exactly but it'll have cost me a damn sight more than 60p.
I'd guess more like £60, which would be about 11% inflation over 44years.
Although to be fair to Robert Fripp, I'd hope to be earning more when I'm 69 than I was at 25 as well.
I loved seeing those tickets. The inflation calculator has £1 in 1972 as £11.29 in 2023. It's hard to work out the value of this in real terms as, for example, house prices must have increased at least five times inflation.

One thing is for sure, the price of concerts has gone five times the other way. At least.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It was a fascinating piece of detective work. The red flag was the Theatre Royal, a bizarre choice of venue for a concert for someone such as Stevie.

But it's a snapshot of how ruse.becomes reality. The Internet makes this more possible with it's linear regurgitating. There is no 'Q Source' on.this one or any clue as to why they have labelled the recording as such.

One thing is for sure, the Dome concert would have been a humdinger, and even better had it been at the time of the alleged Theatre Royal event, as he released more good stuff in between.
It's really bizarre. Why they've labelled a gig as Brighton 1973 when it appears like it never happened is beyond me. Who on the label unearthed it and thought it was worthy of release? Did they not check? Or did it genuinely happen and it's just not well documented?

But yes, any gig in that era would have been incredible.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's really bizarre. Why they've labelled a gig as Brighton 1973 when it appears like it never happened is beyond me. Who on the label unearthed it and thought it was worthy of release? Did they not check? Or did it genuinely happen and it's just not well documented?

But yes, any gig in that era would have been incredible.
A further look shows that Higher Ground was not written in April 1973 so the July date seems most likely. But the fact that different dates as well as different venues are listed online show the problem. I think the recording is genuine, but unofficial.

It seems unlikely he would have popped over to the UK for one concert. He did 14 venues on his European tour in 1972. And, if it is 4th July (a significant date in the U.S) he would have sandwiched it between concerts in New York and Atlanta.

Not one to let a mystery go, I'll look up The Argus of that date next time I'm chasing disused railway stations at The Keep.

A wacky left field thought, perhaps it was placed as an England venue to avoid some kind of copyright infringement in the States.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I remember it well, here I am parked up outside :wink:

aasw.jpg

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
One or two of my friends saw him at The Dome. I'm sure that there were no other Stevie Wonder concert appearances in Brighton at the time. Incidentally, years ago I remember seeing a bootleg of The Dome concert advertised. The quality must have been abysmal. 'Higher ground' is my ringtone. After all, we're all searching for higher ground.........

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
He did, for sure, tour England in 1972 and played The Dome on January 17th. Possibly with MAC and Katie Kassoon. Now that is one concert I'd loved to be at, but mainly for the Kassoons. I loved them as a kid.
You may have unknowingly seen Katie Kissoon live if you attended any concerts by any of the following artists as she performed as their backing singer in the years indicated.....
Van Morrison (1978 and later), Elkie Brooks (1982), Eric Clapton (1986 and later), Roger Waters (since 1984), Elton John (1985), Eros Ramazzotti (1990), George Harrison (1991), Big Country (1991), Pet Shop Boys (1994), George Michael (Unplugged on MTV 1996), Robbie Williams (2000 and later), and Mark Knopfler

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
This is a great mystery. I think it's highly unlikely that Stevie Wonder did play this concert, especially as he was playing in the US at the time. The Theatre Royal is not a "music" place either, surely he'd have played the Dome, if indeed he did. So I think this is a red herring, the real mystery is that it's been released as such

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You may have unknowingly seen Katie Kissoon live if you attended any concerts by any of the following artists as she performed as their backing singer in the years indicated.....
Van Morrison (1978 and later), Elkie Brooks (1982), Eric Clapton (1986 and later), Roger Waters (since 1984), Elton John (1985), Eros Ramazzotti (1990), George Harrison (1991), Big Country (1991), Pet Shop Boys (1994), George Michael (Unplugged on MTV 1996), Robbie Williams (2000 and later), and Mark Knopfler
They were at their peak in the 70s. I was very young, but remember how 'Like a Butterfly' made me happy. One of my friends once said I was born ten years too late. I rather agree.

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
I have doubts, piecing together various concert lists online, that this concert took place. Even less at the Theatre Royal.

On the 3rd April he played a concert in California. Then he seems to have played a random concert at The Dome, Theatre Royal and even the Odeon (!) the following day in Brighton, which seems implausible. One site claims it was 4th April 1974. There are no independent references I can find of anyone who was there.

He did, for sure, tour England in 1972 and played The Dome on January 17th. Possibly with MAC and Katie Kassoon. Now that is one concert I'd loved to be at, but mainly for the Kassoons. I loved them as a kid. But as a boy not yet turned three, I doubt my parents would have let me go. If it was Val Doonican, perhaps.

View attachment 172675
I was at that 1972 concert , he was transforming from the 'standard Motown sound ' to something more adventurous and seemed to spend ages doodling with electronic instruments , very boring to my 16year old ears.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here